Photo of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo of the Day

What a fantastic photo and one I have never seen before. I think that I enjoy it even more now that I am in Maui and making use of Little Beach. (The sand at Little Beach is not black)

What a fantastic photo and one I have never seen before. I think that I enjoy it even more now that I am in Maui and making use of Little Beach. (The sand at Little Beach is not black)

Comment

Yep, I agree with you Fuzzy Nuts.... that is a neat photo. Sounds like you and your wife are having a great time on Maui.

May I offer a suggestion. Could you, or a moderator, change the thread/topic title to avoid confusion with the other 8 topics with the same title, Photo of the Day. Maybe Photo of the Day - Black Sand Beach or Photo of the Day - Nov. 26th.

Again, it's just a suggestion.

nifocinphx

November 26, 2006 Photo of the Day -

Comment

Photo of the Day Hawaii Nov 26th 2006

Comment

I dont know if it is possible to change topic once posted but maybe someone with more computer expertise can do this.

I shoulc have thought of it before I started post.

Comment

Anyone know why the sand is black?
            It is sand, right? Or is it fine soot from a nearby volcano?

I also wonder if the water is clear...

I understand pink sand is due to tiny crustaceans and coral, and where there's pink sand the water is remarkably clear.

Alas... no first hand experience. I relay stories from more fortunate travelers.

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by LamontCranston:

I was wondering the same thing. my assumption was that it was sand from Pumis (volcanic rock)
              in that case I think the water could very well be clear.

Comment

I am pretty sure it is volcanic sand - and is it every hot to walk on during sunlit days.

Comment

Photo choice has really improved, we see pictures we have never seen before, thank you guys!

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by LamontCranston:

I understand pink sand is due to tiny crustaceans and coral, and where there's pink sand the water is remarkably clear.

Alas... no first hand experience. I relay stories from more fortunate travelers.

The sand is black because it is from fresh (geologically speaking) lava flows.

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Fuzzy Nuts:
                      I am pretty sure it is volcanic sand - and is it every hot to walk on during sunlit days.

I thought ALL dry sand was hot to walk on barefoot during sunny days. At least that has been my experience.

Comment

The black sand is not any hotter that gold or
                        white sand. The black sand is mostly silica from the lava flows that are breaking down due to wave action. The black sand feels very soft and silky to the skin. Most of these beaches are on the big island of Hawaii but, there are a few on Maui. A really good one is located on the road to Hana. I personally love Little Beach but also loved the black sand.

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by richinoregon:
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Fuzzy Nuts:

I thought ALL dry sand was hot to walk on barefoot during sunny days. At least that has been my experience.

The very white sand like the sand found at Fort Walton Beach, Destin, and Siesta Key, all in Florida is cool to walk on even on the sunniest days.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nude and Tanned:
                            The black sand is not any hotter that gold or
                            white sand. QUOTE]

I really think you are wrong on this. Black sand is definately hotter than lighter colored sand. Have you ever compared the heat of a white car surface and a black car surface standing beside each other in the sunlight? - I rest my case.

Comment

Yes you are correct about the car surfaces but, have you never heard of the term burning sands. The hottest sand I have ever been on was on the gulf coast of Mississippi the out side temperature was about 102 that day and the sand was so hot you could not even walk across it in sandles because the sand would leave blisters on the sides of your feet. I spent a couple of weeks in Hawaii and outside temps never got above 85 degrees so the black sand did not have a chance to become this hot.

Comment

Working...
                              X