48 Hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Hours

Did anyone watch 48 Hours last night (03/10) on CBS? If not, it was a powerful story of a woman, Angela Shelton, who made a documentary of women who shared her name. She came to discovery that a lot of the women were raped, sexually molested and abused some other way. This led her to come to terms with her father who sexually abused her and her siblings. In the piece, they spoke of the fact that she grew up in a nudist family. Her father and step mother visited "nudist colonies" and were often nude at home all the time. The way it was discussed made family nudism appear disgusting and disturbing. I, for a bit, felt that it was disgusting and disturbing. I guess in that particular family and situation it is disturbing.

One thing that went through my mind was: I wonder if there are a lot of nudist families who visit nudist resorts/clubs and the parents are abusing the children. That thought went through my mind quite often. Anyone have a take on this or the 48 hours story?

Did anyone watch 48 Hours last night (03/10) on CBS? If not, it was a powerful story of a woman, Angela Shelton, who made a documentary of women who shared her name. She came to discovery that a lot of the women were raped, sexually molested and abused some other way. This led her to come to terms with her father who sexually abused her and her siblings. In the piece, they spoke of the fact that she grew up in a nudist family. Her father and step mother visited "nudist colonies" and were often nude at home all the time. The way it was discussed made family nudism appear disgusting and disturbing. I, for a bit, felt that it was disgusting and disturbing. I guess in that particular family and situation it is disturbing.

One thing that went through my mind was: I wonder if there are a lot of nudist families who visit nudist resorts/clubs and the parents are abusing the children. That thought went through my mind quite often. Anyone have a take on this or the 48 hours story?

Comment

I saw it and I totally agree about how nudism was presented.

In the beginning the narrator commented about the family attending nudist colonies in a negative way and it was totally not necessary.

The father said that going to the "colonies" and being nude around the house was a mistake.

Maybe we should write to the show and educate them about nudism and let them know we were disappointed in how the subject was handled.

Outside of the nudist part the subject itself was wonderful!

Comment

I wish I had seen the show, but from what I know of Croydon and cyndiann I accept their assessment of the show as true. I always hate it when nudism is shown in a bad light. Especially when it is something as hideous as child molestation. The father may have blamed his actions on the family involvement in nudism, but that is not true. I feel this man would have resorted to the molestation even if they had not been nudists. Cyndiann is correct. We all should contact CBS and 48 Hours to let them know our feelings about how the subject was handled.

Comment

I don't think 48 hours intended to present nudism as negative. I just think that in this particular situation and this particular family of nudist, nudism played an ugly role so to speak. My problem is that for those who don't know anything about nudism, they may jump into conclusion and think that nudism, esp. family nudism is a dirty thing that hurts children.

Comment

Hi! My name is Joe Q. Public. I don't know much about nudists, but that sure sounds like a sexy topic and what do you know? There's a special on tv tonight that will tell me all the juicy details.

The reporter sure sounds like she knows what she's talking about. Here's what she said in the pre-show promotional.
            "Let's provide our viewers a random cross section of nudist life:
            All the nudists we show you molest their children.
            Here's a father who parades naked in front of his kids. He is obviously grooming his daughter for incest.
            Where do nudists gather? We will use the pejorative term "colonies" to describe the resorts and camps they go to. And we will imply that they are by definition creepy places. Tune in tonight at nine for all the bare facts!".

I just can't wait to tune in tonight to learn from the experts what this nudist thing is all about.

Comment

Here is an example of how being nude was twisted...

"Life at home was truly bizarre. Angela?s father, stepmother and the kids were often all naked around the house. But then, it got worse.

As if being nude around the house is "truly bizarre" and is something that could "get worse".

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in604910.shtml

Comment

Hey guys it's the media --
                Need I say more.

Comment

I went to CBS and clicked on the 48 Hours show and read what Angela said. What happened to her was terrible. I would hope no child would be molested but Nudism is not what was behind the molestation and I e-mailed them and told them so. They may have gone to nudist "colonies" ( who the hell uses that outdated word any more), but that is not what caused the behavior. It just wasn't her father but her step-mom also. They were both "sick". What is the excuse molesters use in mainstream society? They can't blame it on wearing clothes. If people use this as an excuse not to try nudism, what do they have to say about textile molesters? The 48 Hours reporters ought to be ashamed for stating that nudism is bizarre and apparently bad without doing some true investigation of the facts.

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by shaybare:
                    [qb] I went to CBS and clicked on the 48 Hours show and read what Angela said. What happened to her was terrible. I would hope no child would be molested but Nudism is not what was behind the molestation and I e-mailed them and told them so. They may have gone to nudist "colonies" ( who the hell uses that outdated word any more), but that is not what caused the behavior. It just wasn't her father but her step-mom also. They were both "sick". What is the excuse molesters use in mainstream society? They can't blame it on wearing clothes. If people use this as an excuse not to try nudism, what do they have to say about textile molesters? The 48 Hours reporters ought to be ashamed for stating that nudism is bizarre and apparently bad without doing some true investigation of the facts. [/qb]
                    Talking from first hand knowledge I agree with what you say Shaybare..My daughter I found out this year when she got married in September, she is 23..was sexually abused by her stepdad and the mother knew about it and they were not nudist. It started about the age of 12 until she moved out of their house at 16. And they were suppose to be a very religious family. I could really tell 60 minutes or 48 hours something about it. They seem to have a way of changing the story to suit their needs. Anyway NUDITY does not created MOLESTERS, never has, never will. Molesters are just sick A**HOLES. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] My opinion. And you know what they say. Everybody has one...Cheers...Keithmj

Comment

quote:
                      "But he says her innocence would soon be lost when her father began taking the family to nudist colonies: ?We were the creepy people. We were the ones that when we showed up, everybody else wanted to leave.?
                      But this says that people didn't like them at the nudist colony. I didn't see the show, but I read the article. The article doesn't seem to portray nudists in a negative light. Just the molesters. How totally sick. Her father should be in jail.

Comment

NoodJuggler,

Don't wait another minute. Contact: www.cbs.com/48hours Do it today!

Comment

Working...
                        X