Article on nudity in the family.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on nudity in the family.

I thought this was a pretty good and positive outlook on family nudity.

http://www.wikihow.com/Practice-Nudity-in-your-Family

I thought this was a pretty good and positive outlook on family nudity.

http://www.wikihow.com/Practice-Nudity-in-your-Family

Comment

I liked the article I thought it was very well put together. thanks for sharing.

Comment

My pleasure........

I really thought it was very well done too.

-Fred

quote:
        Originally posted by K and C:
        I liked the article I thought it was very well pu together. thanks for sharing.

Comment

Dittos from me on it. Someone really knew what they were talking about

Comment

I also felt the article was interesting and positive at first glance, but I did find several ideas and phrases troubling. The underlying theme seems to be:

family + home + nudity = good; naturism/nudism = bad

I know the article mentions the "nudist movement", but it is apparent by the author's interchangable use of naturist/nudist that there is no distinction (e.g., "This guide is intended primarily as a tool for parents who do not want their children to acquire naturist values while teaching them a wholesome understanding of human nakedness. Resources are available elsewhere if you are interested in being a nudist"). Not that I find anything wrong with "nudist". At my age, I still refer to myself as a nudist because that's the term I first learned in my teens. But if these terms are identical, can we substitute "naturist movement" or "clothes-free movement" for "nudist movement"?

In the first paragraph under the "Warnings" section, the author uses the phrases "decades of hedonistic influence by the nudist movement" and "nudism's close association with sexual activity."

As naturists, (or whatever terms we use to refer to ourselves), the author suggests we are hedonists seeking sexual activity through our lifestyle.

While I agree with the author that family nudity at home would have a lot of positive benefit to children, I perceive a conflict in the author's attitude. If your family goes without clothing at home, is your family not naturist/nudist? And by using the term hedonist, (the belief that pleasure is the thing), are we to tell our children that nudity is OK at home, but deny there is any pleasure in nudity. If it wasn't a great pleasure to go without clothes, would any of us choose to do it?

Comment

Very nice article. Thanks for sharing with us. Sounds like the author has done his homework as far as research goes. Very well written.

Comment

quote:
                While I agree with the author that family nudity at home would have a lot of positive benefit to children, I perceive a conflict in the author's attitude. If your family goes without clothing at home, is your family not naturist/nudist?

I had a friend who was nude at home just about every day, often with her daughter in the backyard either sunbathing or skinny-dipping; her husband and sons occasionally joined in. Yet, she did not consider herself a nudist, in spite of my rationalization that she indeed was. Her argument was that she did not care to join strangers at a resort or beach; and therefore was not a nudist. Although I still disagree with her, I do see her point, which is based on a strict definition of nudism (nudity in a social circle, in an outside environment).
                I believe there are many people who feel the same way, even though they may nude just as much, if not more, than the average nudist.

Comment

Nudony, I completely agree with you. I think there was a discussion about it a while back. There are people who are nude at home but do not consider themselves nudist. They don't seek out nude beaches, they don't join AANR or TNS and they most certainly don't spend money on nude vacations.

-Fred

QUOTE]Originally posted by Nudony:
                  quote:
                  While I agree with the author that family nudity at home would have a lot of positive benefit to children, I perceive a conflict in the author's attitude. If your family goes without clothing at home, is your family not naturist/nudist?

I had a friend who was nude at home just about every day, often with her daughter in the backyard either sunbathing or skinny-dipping; her husband and sons occasionally joined in. Yet, she did not consider herself a nudist, in spite of my rationalization that she indeed was. Her argument was that she did not care to join strangers at a resort or beach; and therefore was not a nudist. Although I still disagree with her, I do see her point, which is based on a strict definition of nudism (nudity in a social circle, in an outside environment).
                  I believe there are many people who feel the same way, even though they may nude just as much, if not more, than the average nudist.[/QUOTE]

Comment

For the most part, I found the article very well written. It was about nudity in the family, and that part of it was very good and should be enlightening for those who have not considered the topic. I agree that the references to nudism/naturism were not very flattering, and in my opinion don't really belong or relate to the article itself.

Now, nobody has mentioned the comments section. That is one of the scariest things I have ever seen. Some of the comments about the article make me wonder how the human race has survived as long as it has......go check them out for yourself, you will know the ones I'm talking about.

Comment

Like others, I'm concerned that this article appears to be quite anti-nudist. Comments like "decades of hedonistic influence by the nudist movement" don't do us any favours.

Comment

It is fun to read this kind of adwise. I'm sure it is needed there. In my country family nudity is a normal status. Most families have sauna bath all together and naked at least once a week and no damage on children. It would be good idea to send the researchers or writers to visit here and talk with people.

Comment

After reading the article, I did have concerns about the "nude in art" comments. After reading the dicussion postings, I found some to be incredibly closed-minded and others who actually get it. The therapist comments were very interesting to me as they raised a red flag in my head about that person. The most recent comments actually showed some sense. Bottom line, I give the article a 7.5 out of 10. Some careful editing of the "Don'ts/Warnings" would amke it beeter.

Comment

but also from decades of hedonistic influence by the nudist movement from influences such as Hedomism II in Jamaica, the SunnyDaze Resort in Coloroado, and events like Nudes-a-Poppin in Indiana (just a few examples) that underscore nudism's close association with sexual activity.

I too took offence to this statement in the warnings section of the article.
                            So I did my best to correct it.
                            I posted this reply;

These examples are not Nudist venues. They are Primarily Swingers Resorts. Don't confuse Nudists with Swingers. And self respecting Nudist would not take his family to these places. Nudists and Nudist Associations strive to seperate themselves from any association with these sexually charged and hedonistic venues.

I also posted this reply to try to counter act some of the negative replies.

Those of you with Hangups and Fears about Nudity, Have them BECAUSE you were taught them. Had you experienced some simple, natural, family nudity as you were growing up, you would understand how benneficial it actually is. I don't agree with everything in the article, but I do agree with the main message. Your children will be better off if they see occaisional nudity in their home, and recieve honest, straight forward answers to any questions they may ask as they grow up.

Maybe some of you more articulate writers could offer your insight to the article.
                            Post a comment of your own to educate the people that read it.
                            If you want to promote, or defend nudism, that would be a good place to do it.
                            I am certain that most of the people that will read it arn't nudists. So you won't be preaching to the Chior.

Steve

Comment

I did not walk away feeling good about the article at all.

Yes it started with some good ideas, but the further explanation really threw me. The article as a whole is just wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X