C.A. Heat Wave!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C.A. Heat Wave!

Hello everyone. As some of you may be aware, the state of California has been reeling from an almost disastrous heat wave since last week with triple-digit temperatures causing all kinds of havoc and even death. I am wondering how many of you are experiencing it as I am. I know Fire Prof is out in this area I believe. In Central California, they have been hit the worst. I don't mean to sound like a morbid newsman here, but I am hoping those of us in this area are coping with this heat wave and coming out OK. But I also understand that half of the country has been dealing with this as well. So, I guess I should not be selfish and wish everyone affected well and the best of luck. Take care and stay cool if possible!

Ken Palmer

Hello everyone. As some of you may be aware, the state of California has been reeling from an almost disastrous heat wave since last week with triple-digit temperatures causing all kinds of havoc and even death. I am wondering how many of you are experiencing it as I am. I know Fire Prof is out in this area I believe. In Central California, they have been hit the worst. I don't mean to sound like a morbid newsman here, but I am hoping those of us in this area are coping with this heat wave and coming out OK. But I also understand that half of the country has been dealing with this as well. So, I guess I should not be selfish and wish everyone affected well and the best of luck. Take care and stay cool if possible!

Ken Palmer

Comment

I'm in the Napa Valley, and it got pretty hot here! Too bad I couldn't make it to Harbin to enjoy the heat and sun. But, the heatwave appears to be over, it's actually quite chilly outside right now...

Comment

I am west of LA, inland from Malibu, and it has been miserable here. It is actually too hot to be nude outside in direct sun. We've had 3 brushfires in the last week locally. As for my textile hobbies, it is too hot to work on the car, and I spend my early evenings watering the flower beds. And I have been very crabby.
        On the bright side, I am eating salads because I'm not in the mood to cook. And saving on the elecric bill by being naked indoors with the AC set at 78.

Comment

central Virginia here. We had tripple digit heat a couple weeks ago but has been over 90 every day since and will be for at least the next 8 days. Will be 97 here today with days in the near future up to 98 for nearly a full week. And the week after ??

We may have changed our weather trends so that this is only a signal of what is to come in the future.

I notice winters have been much more mild with far less snow and warmer temps over all. Global warming is here for sure. Even the oceans are warming up and the polar ice fields are reducing at huge rates.

We are into it. We did it to our selves.

Comment

Yes, the heat wave has been pretty tough on us these past few weeks. We've had many fires, countless downed power lines, which caused fires, temps of over 100 degrees that caused too many heat exposure injuries to people of all ages and a fire station without A/C!

The temperature in the fire house has been hovering around 95 degrees. Sometimes the only relief we get is getting up in the middle of the night and going out on a response. It's cooler outside, in the early morning hours, then inside. Fans help some but not enough. Hey.........we still got it better than some and in my profession the saying is..."if you can't take the heat.......find another job!"

We are lucky, we have a pool at home and the A/C works, so I get my break from the heat when I'm off duty. Besides, we all live most of the time without clothes, just think of those that don't and won't!

To all our friends out there in those extra warm places, try and stay cool and remember to hydrate!

FP

Comment

It is not just the heat though, it is the humidity, which as also been high. I joke to others saying that I did not realize that I had moved to Florida. Even though it did cool off at night(if you consider 80F cool), there were three nights that I had to run my air all night to get any relief, when I could usually run fans. Enough of my complaining, there were many who went without electricity for days because of the enormous need and out of date systems that effected whole city blocks. Also there are those who did not have air conditioners, or could not afford them.

Comment

Probably the ones that suffer the most are animals where they do not sweat. Most will pant and for one to pant is telling they are on the edge of death. Panting is a last ditch effort to cool.

Comment

I'm in the Orange County area and have been feeling the unusual humidity also; just maybe not as bad as the your guys' areas.

I've been lucky enough to be stationed inside an air-conditioned building at work so I haven't been directly in the heat unless I'm in the car or am back at home.

Something I've noticed--that's different from past summers--is the wider variety of bugs that come out at night. I've spotted grasshoppers jumping on the steps outside my apartment door and a black widow at the bottom of the stairway.

I even found a white-spider about twice the size of your average household spider--this one had black stripes and touches of red on it's legs--and it was hanging over a neighbor's car port on the most perfectly crafted webs you can find around... I know this sounds crazy but I just thought it was amazing because it was so unusualy and I wonder how soon we'll be having those GIGANTIC insects that the collectors find from more exotic places like southeast asia

Comment

Living in the central part of California (San Joaquin Valley), I can tell you, the heat has been harsh. Sure, we have had temps in the 100's before, but not the 110's and above.

In the middle of the heat wave, our shop (air conditioning shop), the calls have been non-stop. The air conditioners have been working to their fullest, but due to the high temps, weren't able to keep up. Also, since I do this type of work on the side (moonlighting), HW hasn't seen me before 9:30 every night.

It's nice to be naked and enjoy the sun, but these temps are not to be taken for granted. As FireProf stated, the main thing to remember is to keep yourself hydrated (drink lots of water), and, as hard as it is to resist, stay out of the direct sunlight for long amounts of time. It's great to have a nice bronze tan, but it hurts when you have a hot red sunburn.

Just be safe.

Comment

The western heat has migrated to the east. Will be over 100 here all next week. I do not look forward to that at all!!

Comment

The weather is just weird. Now it is reletively cool, today it is only going to be 80F and grey cloudy skys.

Comment

We're melting under the heat wave in the midwest and east now. High today may reach 100F with heat indexes above 110F.

And the AC is not working in my car. May have to drive to work naked. As a health measure. Yep. That's the ticket.

-Mark

Comment

Hey California, thanks for the gift. It would be appreciated more if you had sent it in January or February. I have been attempting to make it to a local resort for the past month and now it is just too hot to go. Maybe later in the week when it is supposed to be in the 80's.

I will be visiting your great State at the end of the month (Orange County & San Diego). Hopefully you will not have a repeat performance by mother nature.

Comment

Working...
                            X