Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you (or would you) deal with a gawker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be a first, but I actually agree with Cyndiann. I would not move, for I was at that particualar spot first. I shouldn't have to move to make the perpetuator feel like he/she has concluded his/her mission.

I voted for "Any of the above", for it would be determined by what the situation is at the time. On a nude beach, you should have the right to enjoy yourself without anybody ruining it for everyone else.

Comment

Depending on the situation, I have embarrassed them, Scolded them, Threatened them, and even alerted the athorities.

If people want to walk down a nude beach to see naked people, that's fine with me. I wouldn't even mind if they took a picture if it was just for their personal scrap book.

But when dirty minded men stare and become aroused at the sight of me or my wife, I become a little more than irritated.
      Would I move to a different spot? Not untill I had exausted every other option. And I have never had to move yet.

Steve

Comment

I would ignore the person. Eventually they will get bored and move on.

Comment

My Girlfriend and I have been in this situation at the beach before. Some perv comes and sits less then 10 feet from us on a nearly deserted beach. I caught him staring a few times, then gave him a dirty look before moving to a nother spot on the beach. As menioned before, it seemed like a good idea to avoid confrontation and not ruin the day. But when 30 minutes later I cought this same guy hiding behind a rock and peeping us I ran over to him and confronted him and he took off running down the beach. We told the gate keeper about it and got our money back, but that was the last time we have been to the beach. I think we will stick to clubs and resorts!

Comment

Two years in ago when we took a trip to Cali, my sisters and i went down to Blacks beach so i could surf there. Its a nude beach but i wasnt there to be nude but took off my shorts and paddled out. A couple of guys were on the beach and my sisters saw them come towards the ocean while i was sitting on my board just on-shore. They were watching me. At first I wasnt even thinking anything about it but i caught two waves and came in to put my spring suit on and they stared. I dont care who sees me or when but it was a bit weird to be stared at. They were nudists but gay i guess. I stared back at them and they kept walking and i put my suit on and went back out. If someone wants to look at me, thats cool. I check ppl out too but like most other ppl, staring gets me feeling funny.
            -Chris

Comment

PcNerd, you and your girlfriend were by yourselves. Things would have been different for you if you visited the beach with a club.

In the United States, there are no seaside nudist resorts. If you want to be nude on the beach, you must either visit a nude beach or go to a beach that is so remote that there is little chance of gawkers. The coastal islands in Georgia and Florida have many secluded spots. In California, I suspect that gawkers have easier access to all the beaches, so going with a group is the only way to avoid hassle.

Comment

The best way to deal with a gawker is to be aggressive with him. Go up to him and say "We don't like you sitting so close; please move away" or "It isn't appropriate for you to position yourself there." or something like that.

If you let a bad experience with a gawker keep you from a nice clothing-optional beach, you lose and he wins.

Gary

Comment

Having been to the beach by myself, and apparently being something of a "hit" with gay gawkers (for some unfathomable reason), I've always just picked up and moved.

At the resort, it's much more rare. But there was one occasion where a single man seemed to be taking a lot of interest with my wife. I simply walked up to him and introduced myself; my goal wasn't to make buddy-buddy with him, but simply to let him know that I had my eye on him. That was enough to deter him.

It seems dealing with the gawker scenario is nearly unavoidable at a nude beach. That's why I've never taken my family thee.

Comment

If this is a gawker that is fully clothed then I would go to the nearest lifeguard/security and report him/her.

If this was a nude gawker, I would wave hello, smile and move on. Life is too short to be stressed over someone staring. There is no need to get nasty or rude at a nude beach.

-Fred

quote:
                    Originally posted by Nudony:
                    Having been to the beach by myself, and apparently being something of a "hit" with gay gawkers (for some unfathomable reason), I've always just picked up and moved.

At the resort, it's much more rare. But there was one occasion where a single man seemed to be taking a lot of interest with my wife. I simply walked up to him and introduced myself; my goal wasn't to make buddy-buddy with him, but simply to let him know that I had my eye on him. That was enough to deter him.

It seems dealing with the gawker scenario is nearly unavoidable at a nude beach. That's why I've never taken my family thee.

Comment

>> . There is plenty of room, but one person decides to sit right behind you or her.

Very irritating, but since we all know this can happen we usually take in to consideradion when picking a place on the beach.

In our observations it usually goes one step further, invariably the guy (it is always a guy) tries to strike up a conversation with the other person (can be male or female). I have seen it happening forexample as follows. Two ladies (mid 20's) on the nude beach, not too crowded. There comes our guy (we know him because of his behaviour), looks around for 10sec, and plonks down 1m to the side of the ladies. Chats for a few minutes, but apperently they mostly ignore the guy. Leaves after half an hour. 5 minutes later, another guy comes on the beach, looks around a little, and yes, plonks his kit next to these two ladies. He did not get attention at all so left really bored after some 20min.

And so it goes on the whole day. We get several messages from members who complain about unwanted attention, but what can one do? It's not illegal to sit anywhere on the beach and talk.

The next worse category are the fondlers and masturbators.

But all this is nothing compared to the foresty hills behind the beach. It reminds me (in scenery) of Hippie Hollow. A mix of limestone, small trails, pinetrees etc. Lovely area, except that this is where the gays gather. Most of them are in fact not taken up by nudism at all, but use the possibility of being naked to attract other men, for sex I guess. Gaymags lists those areas as cruising spots. What can you do? Many naturists experience this as 'scary', in the sense that they stop visiting these parts of the beach area. Women are not 'safe' at all because they get approached every time by the next "mr. willy". Very little happens that is directly illegal, but still it ruins the area.

I listed all these examples, because I feel there is so little one can do. The behaviour may not be of the highest standards and most often is plain annoying, irritating and bothersome, but it is within legal limits.

When we put up signs in the most exposed area that everyone should respect the naturist area and don't be a bother to naturists, the signs were repeatedly taken down. I once spoke to a guy who was going around fully clothed and when he sat for 15mins or more, I pointed out that this was a naturist area, and maybe he could consider some of the other fine beaches if we has not so interested other than watching. The guy went bananas.

Anyone on the next action step to take? that is, when #1-4 don't work.

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by Naturist4Ever:
                        Gaymags lists those areas as cruising spots.

Which "gaymags" in particular list the trails at Hippie Hollow as a cruising spot?

Comment

freedom2be,

I seem to be the only one here who doesn't know since no one else asked, but what does "gorda" mean?

Also, I might just stand up, shake my booty and say, "You like what you see? Take a picture; it'll last longer, and you can savor it later." Personally I like to turn the tables on the other person(s) and embarrass them.

Comment

Sorry JON-MARK. I look in two dictionaries and "ask jeves" all of which did not have a defination.

Comment

I've been to Black's beach in CA and Haulover in FL. Black's is hands down the most beautiful with the cliffs, but difficult to get to. Haulover is easy to get to but not a beautiful. Both attract their fair share of gawkers and also a few perverts. I just ignore them and they have always moved on.
                              Ginger

Comment

A related topic concerns those who go to nudist beaches with cameras and think that they are entitled to take photos of anyone they darn well please. On numerous occasions hiking the trail either down to Black's Beach or up from the beach back to the parking lot (the elevation drop from the top of the hill where the parking lot by the glider port is to the beach below is 300 feet) I have encountered people who openly carry cameras. I politely remind them that it is not proper to take photos of anyone without asking for permission first. I also remind them that if caught, there are people on the beach who will confiscate their cameras and toss it into the ocean. I have received responses from 'I had no idea that you need to ask to take photos on a public beach' to downright anger as if the photographer thinks that it is a right to be able to take photos of anything on a public beach. How have others handled gawkers with cameras or camera cell phones (mobiles)?

Comment

Working...
                                X