Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you (or would you) deal with a gawker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking pack up and move. I'm not overly convinced confronting someone is the way to go. With aggression levels in society so high now days and constantly on the increase, I think you never know what sort of person you are stirring up and to what extent their retaliation will go.

I guess packing up and moving is kind of giving in to a certain extent, but I'd prefer my partner was enjoying the day and neither gawkers nor confrontations make for an enjoyable time.

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by Sanslines:
      A related topic concerns those who go to nudist beaches with cameras and think that they are entitled to take photos of anyone they darn well please. On numerous occasions hiking the trail either down to Black's Beach or up from the beach back to the parking lot (the elevation drop from the top of the hill where the parking lot by the glider port is to the beach below is 300 feet) I have encountered people who openly carry cameras. I politely remind them that it is not proper to take photos of anyone without asking for permission first. I also remind them that if caught, there are people on the beach who will confiscate their cameras and toss it into the ocean. I have received responses from 'I had no idea that you need to ask to take photos on a public beach' to downright anger as if the photographer thinks that it is a right to be able to take photos of anything on a public beach. How have others handled gawkers with cameras or camera cell phones (mobiles)?

I think the downright anger response is the right response. As long as what they are doing is legal, they are within their rights.

I would ignore them as well because it is not up to me to tell someone that they can not do something that is legal.

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by Jason Lee:
        1. get a digital camera or video camera.

2. use it to zoom in towards gawkers facial area.

3. time to start filming.

4. gawker leaves and goes home.

But wouldn't you be seen as a gawker in the eyes of others coz you have the camera there with you?

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by grl66:

But wouldn't you be seen as a gawker in the eyes of others coz you have the camera there with you?

On the contrary, I would think it would be pretty clear that the camera was being aimed at the clothed gawkers, rather than at the nudists on the beach. It might even make one seem a hero!

Un

Comment

Can't really argue with that logic. lol

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jon-Marc:
              freedom2be,

I seem to be the only one here who doesn't know since no one else asked, but what does "gorda" mean?

QUOTE]

"Gorda" is the feminine form of the Spanish word for obese.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by freedom2be:
                Unfortunately, my choice doesn't appear up there. I've chosen to avoid the c/o beach anymore. So many gawkers - not just men that set up camp and stare, but the groups that walk through the beach regularly and completely dressed and at times yelling out "gorda" to heavy women... and nobody ever says a word to them - they do as they please.. If I do go again I'll be wearing a bathing suit...

What you need to do is go back to that beach and take it back.

Start a "friends of" group to meet at the beach. Contact B.E.A.C.H.E.S. Foundation for help. There are things you can do rather than complain and let the beach go to hell.

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by Naturist4Ever:

Lovely area, except that this is where the gays gather. Most of them are in fact not taken up by nudism at all, but use the possibility of being naked to attract other men, for sex I guess. Gaymags lists those areas as cruising spots.

And many of them are married guys "on the downlow" and not gays at all. I get tired of seeing gays catch all the blame for something that isn't all their fault. You can't tell by their actions if they are gay or sneaking around on the wife.
                  quote:

When we put up signs in the most exposed area that everyone should respect the naturist area and don't be a bother to naturists, the signs were repeatedly taken down. I once spoke to a guy who was going around fully clothed and when he sat for 15mins or more, I pointed out that this was a naturist area, and maybe he could consider some of the other fine beaches if we has not so interested other than watching. The guy went bananas.

Actually it's a clothing optional area and he's not breaking the law in any way. In this case you don't know if it's a gawker or someone trying to get up the nerve to try being a nudist.

Sounds like you judge people a lot when you don't know their motivations. You should be careful about that, it could get you in trouble one day.

Comment

quote:
                    A related topic concerns those who go to nudist beaches with cameras and think that they are entitled to take photos of anyone they darn well please.

They are. It's totally legal.

And tossing the cameras in the ocean is totally illegal.

Comment

We were stared at and then followed down the beach to the southern headland where we were exploring the rocks and sea pools. The nude male gawker came and sat a houndred yards away and watched us. I was about to go up to him and tell him in very strong words to p off and leave us alone when he got up and left. Needless to say I was a bit nervious about it all.

JAMES

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by Cyndiannaked:
                        quote:
                        A related topic concerns those who go to nudist beaches with cameras and think that they are entitled to take photos of anyone they darn well please.

They are. It's totally legal.

And tossing the cameras in the ocean is totally illegal.

Yes, it is legal but commone sense and respect should dictate that especially in our society you dont take photos of nude people unless you ask them if it is ok to do so. People should be able to go to a nude beach and relax without worrying if some creep is taking photos that will be plastered all over the net or somewhere else. People lose their jobs over that kind of embarrasement. Tossing a camera into the ocean may be illegal but those who go to a nudist beach and freely and openly take photos of people should expect that kind of response. I have seen it several times and so there are probably many cameras sitting on the bottom of the ocean right off Black's Beach. Go Nudists!!!

Comment

Gawkers and voyeurs aren't using common sense when they go to these nude beaches and stare or take pictures.

What you say is true, it is common courtesy to ask before you take pictures, but that's not why they are there. They want those pictures of you, your wife, family unsuspecting when they take those pictures.

Cyndiann is correct, it is legal for them to take pictures of you nude on a public beach. It isn't courteous at all and shows no common sense or decencey when doing so. And, it is illegal to throw someone's property into the ocean. I think what is being said here is that, this may keep some gawkers and voyeurs from ever visiting a nude beach again to just take pictures but what is also said is that if these people wanted to press charges against you for destroying their property, they could and you don't have any recourse for you actions.

I don't like these people taking pictures of me or my wife to display on the internet on voyeur sites but this is a situation we deal with and live with because we enjoy going to nude beaches that are mainly public. I just wonder if our pictures would be seen by any of those I would be worried about seeing them in the first place.

The other side of the coin is that, no one would see these pictures but would see our picture or read the story about me and my wife, with our names, at a nude beach and throwing some guys camera in the ocean because he took pictures of us and now I'm being prosecuted.

It's a gamble either way!

Comment

Very well said Fireprof. One other thing to consider is this. If we really want to blindly apply the law, then Black's beach is not a legal nude beach. Everyone on that beach who is nude is breaking the law and can be ticketed, fined, or jailed. I don't suggest that people throw cameras into the ocean but I do understand the utter frustration of so many people who go to the beach to relax in the warm sun and just do not want to be bothered with abusive photographers. Please know that destroying the property of an abusive photographer may be the only recourse for someone who would have their life destroyed and career ruined if nude photos of them were plastered all over the net. A huge variety of people come to take photos. Some have harmless intentions. Others come, hide behind rocks, and sneak photos of especially women. Women don't want to be hastled and should not have to put up with it while merely being nude on a beach. Gawkers and abusive photo freaks are what drove so many women away from Blacks. Those who go to the beach regularly know the trouble makers from those who are harmless. Many will confront those who come to gawk or cause trouble. Maby I see things differently, but with so few nudist beaches availible, I fully support those who come to socialize, relax, and be safe and free on a nude beach. Sometimes nudists need to make a stand and protect what little that they have and controlling the gawker and photo freak problem is something that needs to be done. When will society grow up, fully legalize nudist beaches from coast to coast in all states, and give the nudists the right to harmlessly go and be free on their beach without being abused by those with harmful intentions?

Comment

I shoot their heads off! No, wait, that's a different kind of buzzard.

Comment

Sanslines, if someone is worried about their career being lost if they are discovered at a nude beach then they need to stop going to nude beaches. They are public places, I always bring a camera and use it openly. That is very different than the ones taking pics for voyeur sites and take them on the sly. My way gives others a chance to tell me they don't want to be in the photos, not that they would be, up close, anyway. My way I get pics of me and my friends enjoying the day.

I do take care not to get anyone in the background *if* they are close enough to be identified. If they are in the distance I don't worry about it. It's simple. If you are afraid of being outed you don't go to nude beaches. If you could lose your job, don't go to nude beaches.

A camera is also a great tool to use against gawkers and wankers. They are more afraid than nudists of having a picture taken.

Destroying someone's camera isn't *ever* necessary. All you need to do is remove the film or erase the card and give the camera back. We do not need nudists breaking the law by stealing and destroying property, even if the camera owners are there for the wrong reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X