Lesson on reducing photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesson on reducing photos

Just had a funny experience when I went to post my photo on the topic regarding "Avatars are all showing clean shaven"

I put in my original avatar photo and it was about 6 stories high, bigger than computer screen when it appeared. When I saw it I deleted it as nobody needs to be subjected to that!!

But I realize that I do need some training or help in how to reduce my photos before submitting them,

I am sure that Gary or one of the other moderators can point me in the right direction.

Just had a funny experience when I went to post my photo on the topic regarding "Avatars are all showing clean shaven"

I put in my original avatar photo and it was about 6 stories high, bigger than computer screen when it appeared. When I saw it I deleted it as nobody needs to be subjected to that!!

But I realize that I do need some training or help in how to reduce my photos before submitting them,

I am sure that Gary or one of the other moderators can point me in the right direction.

Comment

Use a photo editor to resize your photo to about 600x450 pixels - that's plenty big enough for a computer screen. Ideally, you should save the pic as a JPEG file and use a compression which brings the file size down to about 100,000 bytes, so it'll load quickly.

Comment

Thanks tiger. Now could you repeat all that in English!!! Actually went to Adobe which I purchased quite a few years ago and was able to reduce photo if you look back. I really have to play around with my photos using the Adobe as apparently it can do some pretty strange things if one can get up the courage to try it. It has just sat on my computer since I bought it.

Comment

Or if you'd rather not pay anything for a great photo editor, try GIMP:
          http://www.gimp.org/

Comment

There are several free and of course pay applications that can do that and lots more. I have a photo resizer (free) we use at work but at home I use CompuPic, about $50. An excellent program.

Comment

Dear Mr. Nuts.
              I have sent you a small photo software programme by private e-mail which should be useful. Regards.
              John S.

Comment

I got a copy of IrfanView that will resize photos, very nice program and easy to use. I got my copy from Tucows website- freeware site. Was recommanded from one of the moderators here at CF. I use the program often and never had any issues or problems with it.
                Ray

Comment

Thanks all for help and suggestions.

Comment

Here are links posted previously in the forum on Resizing and a free photo viewing and slideshow program called IRfanView.

Links on the forum mentioned resize and a free download program called "IRfanView"

Comment

Hi,new guy here and just got done experiencing this very subject.Using my(trusty?)Adobe program I was able to shave this photo down to a size just small enough to post here.As you can tell,this turns out to be a bit much,don't you think?Also,I like to post my pic with my profile.How do I go about doing that?I'll try the programs listed here,but I'm nervous about downloading anything lately.I just had to dump everything due to a nasty virus.

Comment

My symphaties belong to Irfan. As the number two to Canon/Arcsoft Photo Studio v5. The Adobe is too heavy for average computer, in occupies too much a resources. GIMP is too poorly co-working with Windows, being a Linux part, it is useful only if one wants to work with a half-see-through layers. But it demands all files must change the coding system to GIMP and then back - quality in such actions unavoidably MUST lowering.

However, Garry, I have a problem to MEASURE how much bits I have after resizing in Irfan. Must do it with number of iterations. And that is making me angry to Irfan, that I can see the size only after saving in file properties window. Do You know any way to measure it before saving??

Comment

johny

In IrfanView program near the top where you see "File" "Edit" "Image" Point your mouse to Image then down one to "Information" Click, you will then see a table listing the properties or Information on the opened or working image including the file size called "Disk Size"

See attached image of that table below:

Comment

stomper69

Using the IrfanView free program mentioned above its very easy to resize a picture as you need to for posting or avatar size.

You can do a right click on the image down to properties and cut and paste the URL/address of the image and/or save the image by doing a right click and "save image as" to your system and folder.

stomper69-1 URL/Address = :
                            http://clothesfreeforums.com/eve/forums/a/ga/ul/9450089...mg/Y/stomper69-1.jpg

Comment

stomper69

Avatar size image re-sized with IrfanView program.

stomper69-2 URL/Address =:

http://clothesfreeforums.com/eve/forums/a/ga/ul/4850089...mg/Y/stomper69-2.jpg

Or you may save this image to your system or my pictures or any folder by "Right Clicking" on the image, go to "Save Picture As" and entering what folder you want the image saved to.

http://www.irfanview.com/ is the link to IrfanView free download.

Comment

Working...
                              X