Expensive to be naked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive to be naked

In the last 30 years or so my wife and I have taken at least 50 trips to the sunny south from Canada to Florida, Mexico and various islands in the Caribbean. We did a lot of travelling but always watched for bargains and tried to get the best deal we could for our dollar.

In the past few years I came out of the naturist closet and dragged my wife with me and have no intentions of ever going back. Since then we have only gone to nudist or C/O resorts. One thing that we have found is that dollar for dollar it is more expensive to go naked than to a textile resort.

Have any of you who travel to the sunny south agree? I guess its a case of supply and demand. Still too few naturists and therefore fewer resorts who cater to naturists and thus higher prices.

In the last 30 years or so my wife and I have taken at least 50 trips to the sunny south from Canada to Florida, Mexico and various islands in the Caribbean. We did a lot of travelling but always watched for bargains and tried to get the best deal we could for our dollar.

In the past few years I came out of the naturist closet and dragged my wife with me and have no intentions of ever going back. Since then we have only gone to nudist or C/O resorts. One thing that we have found is that dollar for dollar it is more expensive to go naked than to a textile resort.

Have any of you who travel to the sunny south agree? I guess its a case of supply and demand. Still too few naturists and therefore fewer resorts who cater to naturists and thus higher prices.

Comment

I'm sure that is the reason why it is expensive to vacation a nude resorts; there really aren't that many of us that do travel exclusively to nude or clothing optional resorts and these venues have overhead and maintanence costs that have to be met.

In some of these places, the weather plays a huge part in the occupancy factor, weathers not good, the place is practically empty but still has to run as usual.

The clothing optional/clothes free venues we have visited are moderate to expensively priced. We have two decent incomes. I'm not sure how some couples with one income can afford to visit these places more than once a year without budgeting and saving for a year to do this.

Obviously if the numbers of nudist vacationers increased, maybe some of these places could drop the prices some but I also think you are correct that supply and demand is the driving force behind some of these resorts keeping the prices up.

This topic was discussed concerning Clubs and the fact that some of them make it mandatory that you join the club after a few visits. The issue never really got resolved and the disagreements were that those using the facilities as visitors should pay their fare share. Some of us countered by stating we didn't mind paying for a limited membership that was a little less and limited us to use of the facilities on certain day than members visiting everyday or live there. That didn't go over well.

Not sure if there's a real answer to the question or solution to the problem of the cost of being naked on vacation!

Comment

I agree, it is more expensive. I recently visited a resort that is a couple of hours away for the second time this year and was told that I would have to become a member before I could visit again. $475/year. Since this resort is a bit of a drive, I can't justify spending that much money for the amount of time I would be able to visit. Like FireProf state, I think a limited membership would be a great idea. I don't mind at all paying my fair share when I have a chance to visit.

Comment

Exactly our argument for a limited membership. Glen Eden is only 30 mins away from our driveway. It's a very nice club but we don't want to get into a rut feeling we gotta go there to get our membership monies worth each year.

I don't mind paying an entrance fee if we wanted to go during a blocked out time on the calendar but a annual fee is $300.00 and we wouldn't go that often. We like to visit the beach and Palm Springs too much to limit ourselves to feeling like we have to go to the club.

We are assciate members of AANR and TNS members through Friends of San O Beach. I'd like to be able to visit Glen Eden as many times as I want as a member of these organizations, pay my entrance fee, spend $$ at the cafe and not have to join if I choose not to but that's not their policy. I personally think they are missing out on a substancial amount of dollars annually from AANR and TNS members that live locally.

Comment

Kinda sounds familiar FireProf. I joined AANR for the discounts that many resorts offer...but doesn't seem to be doing me any good.

Comment

Not having to visit a nudist resort at all, yet, why couldn't the price be dropped to let those who only visit sporatically, rather than 'daily'?

One idea is to lower the price for those members who are not interested in club functions, become a member at a lower rate. Those who would like to participate in club sponsored events, would pay the higher price.

In other words, to participate in club sponsored activities, you would have to become a 'full' member. Those who do not wish to participate in activities would be able to, but would have to pay extra. Those who are not interested, would be able to become a member, but not authorized to participate, unless of course, they pay extra.

This way, everyone gets a chance to enjoy social nudity. It's almost like the YMCA. Members pay for activities at a discount, but non-members pay substatially more to participate.

Just an idea.

Comment

I think it's horrible that it costs so much for the typical nudist resort. There is a resort within 35 minutes drive from my home, but I refuse to pay those exhorbitant grounds fees, when I have some property here myself and can always "sneak" some nudity in remote public forests.

No wonder there are not more young people at resorts.

I would guess the cause of the high costs is a combination of factors... hidden costs of dealing with regulatory/legal/cultural issues, not enough competition, and no "business geniuses" to revoutionize the industry. I envision an improved model of business that would lower grounds fees, but still generates a reasonable profit for resort owners.

Comment

Cost issues are hard to understand exactly because there are so many hidden costs that the general public doesn't see. Whether a cost seems reasonable or too high often also depends on the perspective of the person making the judgment.

We have visited many nude or clothing optional resorts, but there are only two that we keep going back to. Grand Lido Braco is a AAA 4 diamond resort, and you expect that luxury will cost plenty—-and it does. It costs even more to stay on the nude side, but that's partly justifiable by the fact that the accomodations are better on that side. Probably the more important factor is that the demand for that side stays so high. That's our annual splurge, and we watch closely for good sales. In the end we always feel it was worth it.

The other is Living Water Spa in Desert Hot Springs. It's not for everyone, but we love it and the price is extremely competative for a place that's a combination hot springs spa and bed and breakfast.

When considering prices that places are charging, it may help to consider what are general costs in the neighborhood. Recently I stayed one night in a mid-level hotel in a part of the country where costs are generally lower. The room with tax was right at $100. My breakfast of oatmeal, fruit, coffee, and toast came to $10 when the tip was added. I also paid $10 for an airport sandwich with orange juice.

So everything costs more these days, and resorts are still run to make money. There probably isn't going to be a solution that pleases everyone.

Comment

I agree everything costs more these days. The resort that I had mentioned before charged $30 for a day visit. $25 with the AANR discount. I have no problem paying the daily fee, and would be happy to pay it for every chance I would have to visit. But since the resort is 120 miles away, I have to be realistic about how many times I can visit and does that justify spending the amount of money for a year membership.

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Big-Thinker:
                      I think it's horrible that it costs so much for the typical nudist resort. There is a resort within 35 minutes drive from my home, but I refuse to pay those exhorbitant grounds fees, when I have some property here myself and can always "sneak" some nudity in remote public forests.

Well, as I've said before, if someone thinks that the cost of either membership or grounds fees is too high, then please, in the entreprenurial spirit of America go ahead, buy some land and clear it, hire some employees, put in some attractive amenities (swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, a clubhouse and a snack bar/restaurant, maybe some petanque or volleyball courts), have the health department come in and inspect the property so you can get a license, and then charge whatever you like. Keeping in mind of course that whatever you charge has got to last you during the period when weather is bad and people don't want to come out to your park/club and your income is zero....but of course you still have to pay your employees, maintenance on the facilities, taxes, etc.
                      Good luck to you in your endeavor...hope you're wildly successful. But I suspect that you'll shortly realize that 30 or 35 dollars for a day at a nice club is not exorbitant. By the way, a lot of clubs, like White Tail Resort in Virgnia have reduced fees for college students. The reason there aren't as many young people at nudist venues doesn't really have as much to do with pricing as with other issues, discussed at great lengths elsewhere in this forum.

Walt Iliff

Comment

nudeM, what you've described always sounds good on paper, but in operation it's an administrative nightmare. Human nature is to "work the system" to one's advantage, and some people will always avoid payment if possible, then try to participate anyway. How many eyes and hours can management devote to policing it? And on lower revenue, too? Business operators know this from experience, so they just don't do it.

Comment

The high costs have bad sides as well as good sides. THe bad sides is of course the expense. THis keeps many from going at all and many from going frequently.

On the good side this expense weeds out the less that serious naturists and riff raff. There is a psuedo protection scheme in all this.

Yes, it would be great to have less expense to experience the joy and comfort of clothes free relaxation.

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by hairyballs:

Nudity expensive?

Not in your backyard, it isn't!!
                            Don't have a backyard? join a club, even a travel club... Many or most nudists welcome friends/company/guests.

Comment

I go to Oak Lake Trails in OK. The yearly membership fee is $495 ($522.23 with tax). They also had the policy that you must join the club on your third visit. That certainly limited my visits drastically.

Thankfully, OLT dropped their "must join" policy and I was able to go 3 times this year. I spent $362.00 for the 3 visits which added up to 9 days and nights. I consider that a real bargain because I always meet new friends and you can't put a price tag on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X