Med School Nudity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Med School Nudity

I know there are some medical school students out there and thought I would share a chapter from my past.

Ten years ago while I was in law school my wife and I joked about a classified ad in the university paper, "Male models needed, $50/hour." Having waited tables, delivered pizza and appliances, washed dishes and much, much more for much, much less, I was intrigued by the ad and my wife encouraged me to at least call.

As it turns out, I got hired to role-play a medical patient to medical school students at Albert Einstein in the Bronx. Although the commute to Jacobi Hospital was not ideal, I was paid for a minimum of 2 hours even though the exams rarely lasted more than 1. Later, as word of my patient role playing talent spread through the boroughs, I also began working in the same capacity at Cornell in Manhattan.

Now, I had had a few years of clothesfree experience behind me when I began, but playing a patient is an altogether different kind of nudity than going to a beach or pool or hiking. First, similar to posing for art classes, I was the only one naked and the object of attention- people are encouraged to stare! (this takes some getting used to, especially when I was 26). However, it is much more interactive than art class where I basically have sat or stood motionless and quiet. In the med school program, I was constantly being handled, felt, probed, palpated, etc. and was talked to ("Have you experienced any tenderness here?) and so it was impossible to pretend you were doing anything other than what one was doing.

Although I could not prove it, I strongly believed that despite what we may think, there were in fact young adults who had not seen a naked man in person before and certainly many who have never touched one. At least one student each week (of the 6 or 7 who would practice on me) would have trembling hands and at least once every other week, there were red faces. The students came from many cultures and backgrounds.

However, just as I have asked myself what kind of people choose to pursue art if they have problems with nudity, I also wondered what kind of people wish to become doctors if the nude body makes them so nervous?

The two programs had very different approaches. In one, the students were led by a resident who stood guard as each student took a turn on me. In the other program, the students examined me individually. I think there were good and weak points about each approach, but I did feel the students were somewhat more relaxed in the individual sessions.

There aren't many of these jobs and I understand some medical school do not even offer these programs, but if you ever have a chance to do the work and you think of yourself as a veteran of social nudity, being a role playing patient getting your prostate checked and cords examined (by choice and not by necessity) will certainly bring you to a new level of body comfort. Sure doctors have seen me nude, but it has never been the same as the role-playing for many reasons.

PS. Everyone laughed about my job (and I had to add it to my job experiences on my application to the state bar), but I easily made enough for my wife and I to travel to Britain that year for spring break! Like they say, if you can find something you'd do for free and get paid, you can't go wrong.

I know there are some medical school students out there and thought I would share a chapter from my past.

Ten years ago while I was in law school my wife and I joked about a classified ad in the university paper, "Male models needed, $50/hour." Having waited tables, delivered pizza and appliances, washed dishes and much, much more for much, much less, I was intrigued by the ad and my wife encouraged me to at least call.

As it turns out, I got hired to role-play a medical patient to medical school students at Albert Einstein in the Bronx. Although the commute to Jacobi Hospital was not ideal, I was paid for a minimum of 2 hours even though the exams rarely lasted more than 1. Later, as word of my patient role playing talent spread through the boroughs, I also began working in the same capacity at Cornell in Manhattan.

Now, I had had a few years of clothesfree experience behind me when I began, but playing a patient is an altogether different kind of nudity than going to a beach or pool or hiking. First, similar to posing for art classes, I was the only one naked and the object of attention- people are encouraged to stare! (this takes some getting used to, especially when I was 26). However, it is much more interactive than art class where I basically have sat or stood motionless and quiet. In the med school program, I was constantly being handled, felt, probed, palpated, etc. and was talked to ("Have you experienced any tenderness here?) and so it was impossible to pretend you were doing anything other than what one was doing.

Although I could not prove it, I strongly believed that despite what we may think, there were in fact young adults who had not seen a naked man in person before and certainly many who have never touched one. At least one student each week (of the 6 or 7 who would practice on me) would have trembling hands and at least once every other week, there were red faces. The students came from many cultures and backgrounds.

However, just as I have asked myself what kind of people choose to pursue art if they have problems with nudity, I also wondered what kind of people wish to become doctors if the nude body makes them so nervous?

The two programs had very different approaches. In one, the students were led by a resident who stood guard as each student took a turn on me. In the other program, the students examined me individually. I think there were good and weak points about each approach, but I did feel the students were somewhat more relaxed in the individual sessions.

There aren't many of these jobs and I understand some medical school do not even offer these programs, but if you ever have a chance to do the work and you think of yourself as a veteran of social nudity, being a role playing patient getting your prostate checked and cords examined (by choice and not by necessity) will certainly bring you to a new level of body comfort. Sure doctors have seen me nude, but it has never been the same as the role-playing for many reasons.

PS. Everyone laughed about my job (and I had to add it to my job experiences on my application to the state bar), but I easily made enough for my wife and I to travel to Britain that year for spring break! Like they say, if you can find something you'd do for free and get paid, you can't go wrong.

Comment

Huey...Interesting account...Way to go!...I had never heard of a Med school model before...Lots of good points

Comment

Thank you Huey

At my school we call them "patient actors"....we have the fortune of having people who are well sit in as subjects to be examined. They are our teachers for the physical exam. Because they have the same exam over and over again they are able to give us pointers on what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong....it is very very valuable feedback. Without these volunteers we would have to practice "first time" on sick patients who would not give us feedback. So in essence these patient actors, like Huey, contribute to raising the standard of care available to all.

So next time your doctor gives you a good exam, remember the medical models before who got the sloppy exam so you could have the improved version

Comment

I had ran across very similar discussions some time ago; what I found agrees with Huey's experience. One medical model said he would be catheterized by several students in a session. Another thing that I didn't know about, if it is true and I wonder about it, he said that on occasion he would have a sperm sample taken (in a specimen jar) by having his prostate stimulated. If true, I didn't know that was possible.

Also, Dr. William Nolen, whom I referred to in a different context in "I am a reluctant spouse", said in his book, 'The Making of a Surgeon' that the medical students in his class practiced on each other. He said it was as if the whole class was married to each other. Interesting.

Comment

wew! what a job. i have read articles on this in other magazines. what better way to experience medical practice than hands on. should pay more but they probably figure collage students will jump on it for the cash.

Comment

It is little different here. My son told me when he was studying med that the students were the models by themselves. You can guess that they had also co-ed sauna baths when there was nothing to hide.

Comment

REminds me of an old Seinfield show where Kramer was a patient actor.

Great story! Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

At first read, I thought it would be fun to volunteer to be a medical model. I don't mind the touching and probing part, but the catherization made me a little queezy. Maybe I will look to become a massage therapy model.. might be just a little more relaxing!

Comment

Of course the only thing which went inside me was a latex glove - I do have some limits.

I should have pointed out that for the female examinations, the women were specially trained to give direction to the students for the internal exam and were not simply college students looking for work. The female examinations took place separately so I never had any conversations with anyone in that program.

I am extremely skeptical of the story about the sperm sample. Even catheters would seem to present unnecessary risks in a class designed to steach routine examination and not special procedures.

Comment

Do they ever recomend that medical students go to nude beaches to help them become more confortable around the human body ?

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by not4long:
                        Do they ever recomend that medical students go to nude beaches to help them become more confortable around the human body ?

No....I wish I could lead the field trip of 170 students to the nude beach....hehe. From a medical standpoint it's actually pretty intriquing...you get a good perspective on the variety of the anatomical form, bone structure, fat structures, etc.

There are different "degrees" of medical models. Some are just for interviewing, some are for limited exams, and some are for the probing exams. The limited exam patients usually have a disorder, like a heart murmer or a missing kidney, heart on the wrong side, etc. They also serve as very memorable learning experiences.

Milking the prostate....I don't know much about it, but yes...it is possible. Basically it's a way of manually ejaculating a male without the need for orgasm. It's particularily helpful in paralyzed men or men with the inability to experience erection who still wish to have children. It's a way of obtaining a sperm sample in these men.

That procedure and the catheter procedures...I don't know, that is awfully brave.

Comment

Is there a city /college town where there would be enough work between nude modeling and patient acting for a person to actually make a decent living? I've been thinking about a career change.

Comment

Thanks, Doc, for enlightening me. The person in the story I read said he typically made $200 per session. I guess the more invasive, the higher the price?

Comment

I don't know, but with all that "prodding and touching and ???", something just might "pop up". Even though I am comfortable around others, the mere 'touchy/feely' around certain organs could result in the model having an erection. I think it is great for someone to do this for medical students, but I'm sure there have been times when one would occur.

Comment

Working...
                              X