Gender Mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gender Mix

So what is the gender mix on this board?

So what is the gender mix on this board?

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by Dave M.:
      [qb]This may be a stupid question --but why ask? We already know this board is dominated by males. At least that's the impression I get.[/qb]
      Yes, that's the impression we get from those who post but what about those who don't? It's my view that far more people vote in polls than post messages so this is just a simple way of either confirming what we think we know or, if it doesn't confirm, being pleasantly surprised.

Rik

Comment

The score so far:

90% male, 10% female and the rest don't know.

Rik

Comment

yeeeee haw i just tipped the scales to 91% male.

Comment

Why does it matter? If naturism is about enjoying yourself without clothes wherever you may find the opportunity, then what does gender mix have to do with it?

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by OldFrog:
              [qb]Why does it matter? If naturism is about enjoying yourself without clothes wherever you may find the opportunity, then what does gender mix have to do with it?[/qb]
              I had to think a while before answering! I started one reply, then deleted it.

It's true that gender mix has very little to do with enjoying naturism. But when an activity is as pleasurable as this and isn't immoral (or even fattening; remember the old saying about everything fun [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ), our natural desire is to share it with everyone we know, regardless of gender. And it's really regrettable that the mix isn't more equal since women--US women at least--are generally more ashamed of their bodies than men and so can gain even more benefits from naturism.

For me the thought of being naked with other naked men and women (I have to qualify my statement since I've never actually experienced this) is the final degree of freedom. When the last garment drops, then at last we will be back in Eden--at least until we have to go back into the "real" word, which really is less real than the place where we are naked to the wind and sun.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by OldFrog:
                [qb]Why does it matter? If naturism is about enjoying yourself without clothes wherever you may find the opportunity, then what does gender mix have to do with it?[/qb]
                I agree but the poll is about gender mix of those who read or contribute to this discussion board rather than about those who practise naturism.

Its purpose is to substantiate or challenge the commonly expressed view that the board is dominated by males. The results so far remain steady at 90% male and 10% female.

The female perspective is, in my view, very important when discussing naturist issues so maybe we (contributors and administrators) should be looking for ways to actively encourage a more even gender mix. Any ideas?

Rik

Comment

12% There must be more

Kate

Comment

Gender mix is definitely an important factor in nudism. Nudism will never become mainstream unless and until we get participation from a good proportion of women.

Gary

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Rik:
                      [qb]The score so far:

90% male, 10% female and the rest don't know.

Rik[/qb]
                      [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Reminds me of Bob Hope's comeback to jealous people who commented about his high earnings:

"Yup. The government takes 90%, my agent gets 10%, and the rest is pure gravy!"

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by Dave M.:
                        [qb]I would be interested to hearing why females do not participate. What is the female veiw on being nudist/naturist? On nudist /naturist issuses?[/qb]
                        [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] is right [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

But only non-participants can answer this. So how do we find out, when by definition only "participants" dwell here? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by missouriboy:
                          [qb]But only non-participants can answer this. So how do we find out, when by definition only "participants" dwell here? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [/qb]
                          If the poll results so far are representative of the membership of this board as a whole then there are approximately 420 females registered.

This is not particularly scientific but as I write there are 23 users logged on. Out of that 23 there are 7 users who I've not heard of and assume (without actually checking) that they have never (or rarely) posted. There are also 67 unregistered users lurking.

If you extrapolate those figures you can calculate that of the 4200 registered users 1280 of them log on but never, or rarely, post. If you assume that the proportion of females to males is the same for those who never post as for those who do, then the board has 105 female members who 'participate' in the sense that they log on but have yet to contribute.

I think that if even a tenth of those 105 females contributed regularly we would get the impression that the board was dominated by females. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

So what I'm saying is that there appears to be sufficient females out there who are interested enough to register and log on but are shy, for one reason or another, of actually posting (just as their male counterparts are).

On the assumption that some of those lurking females are reading this thread perhaps I could ask a few of them to de-lurk for a moment and tell us:
                          - what inhibits you from posting?
                          - what would encourage you to post more?

Rik

Comment

As a female who does not like the confines of clothing or swim suits. I found that wearing loose but shaping dresses with no apparel underneath is quite refreshing.

I can go out in public, go to parks, go to the beach and shopping and no one knows how comfortable I really am. At clothing neccessary beaches I swim in my suit, then put on a beach dress and remove my suit underneath, only to put it back on when I want to swim again.

Of course my husband would look silly wearing a beach dress. So he started looking around for places that he could be nude and comfortable as well. I never thought it an issue until he started looking.

To answer the posting question, I think more women would post more often if their husband would get off the computer and give us a chance to read and post. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Rik....I think you have too much time on your hands ...doing all that figuring.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X