What race or nationality are we?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What race or nationality are we?

I am just curious about the many people who visit this site and forum.

I consider myself an Irish Native American. I look totally European,fair skinned celtic type with an English sir name. The European blood in me is actully a Heinz 57 of English,Scottish,Irish,German and Italian. The Native American is 1/8 th Cherokee and 1/4 Yaqui.

One Grandmother is 1/2 Cherokee and another grandmother is full blooded Yaqui. She was raised in Mexico and spoke very little english when my Grandfather met her shortly after WWII.

I've seen photos of her when she was young and asked my grandfather how he was able to get such a beauty to marry him, and he told me she couldn't say no in english.lol [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I am just curious about the many people who visit this site and forum.

I consider myself an Irish Native American. I look totally European,fair skinned celtic type with an English sir name. The European blood in me is actully a Heinz 57 of English,Scottish,Irish,German and Italian. The Native American is 1/8 th Cherokee and 1/4 Yaqui.

One Grandmother is 1/2 Cherokee and another grandmother is full blooded Yaqui. She was raised in Mexico and spoke very little english when my Grandfather met her shortly after WWII.

I've seen photos of her when she was young and asked my grandfather how he was able to get such a beauty to marry him, and he told me she couldn't say no in english.lol [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier to say what ethnic group we do not derive from?

Here's the list of what I descend from:
      Scotland, Ireland, England, France, Switzerland, Latvia, Askenazim Jew, Tagalog Filipino, and possibly some Spanish and Chinese and I am sure that I am leaving out a few countries.

Comment

My nationality comes from whatever Adam and Eve were. Technically, I'm French on my dad's side and English on my mother's, with a little Sioux Indian thrown in for good measure. Otherwise I'm an American and proud of it although I had nothing to do with being whatever I am.

Comment

the u.s.a. is mostly made up of emigrants. the only natives were american indians and there has been studies that suggest that they came to north america across the bering strait. i am also a mixture from a lot of different countries but i'm american first and formost but i don't believe we should forget where our ancestors came from. they are what we are made of and made us what we are today. god bless the U.S.A.

stay nude and stay happy

Comment

What Race am I? Human.....

Comment

If Human is a race, could you give an example or two of the races that are other than Human? Thanks in advance.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by missouriboy:
                [qb] If Human is a race, could you give an example or two of the races that are other than Human? Thanks in advance. [/qb]
                Easy, Feline and canine race.
                I try to unlearn the race thing, as I did the 'hide your body thing', as much as I can. I feel that this planet needs to start realising that WE are on this planet and it's time that we knock down these borders we have to get ready for the time when we find the others that aren't from here on this planet. Sure I may be star-treking a bit but what if.....and why not?
                Whoopie Goldburg once said in an interview, when referred to as African-american. She stop the interviewer and said, "No, I'm an AMERICAN." THIS is the differance I'm looking for.(smile)

Comment

Everyday speech is often very inprecise.
                  All of humanity can interbreed freely, the usual definition of a species. Race is a population of humans or a population within a plant or animal species with a set of observable physical traits that distinguish it from other bloodlines.

In the case of humans, rather than sharp boundaries, gradation between the "races" has existed for thousands of years. In Egypt and other parts of northeast Africa are individuals with physical features that are somewhere between black and white ethnic type. Likewise parts of Russia have Caucasians with an increasing resemblance to the East Asian racial type as you go from west to east. There may always have been populations that have never clearly fit into one stereotypical racial group.

Africa's orginal inhabitants almost universally have dark skin due to the need to adapt to strong tropical sun, but other than that, there is considerable variation among "black" Africans by population group, much more so than Caucasian and Asian races. A casual observer could easily tell the difference between a Tutsi, Pygmy, Hottentot, Ethiopian, or West African person. There are many more biochemical differences that are not as easily observed.
                  One could easily argue that black Africa alone has four or five major races of mankind.

Pacific Island blacks (Melanesians) superficially resemble some black Africans, but when you look at their blood type and body chemistry, they are as different from black Africans as Europeans are.

Some anthropologists tried to classify the Ainu in Hokkaido Japan as a race of caucasians, because of a few outward similarities, but in recent years there seems to be more justification for including them in the Australoid race, an ethnic group that was once widespread in the far East, but now is largely confined to the Australian outback. The Ainu have much fairer complexions than the Australian aborigines, but in Hokkaido, there is much less sunlight and strong selective pressure led to a people with a lighter complexion, but who were otherwise genetically similar to Australoids in the tropics.

Races exist, but they have blurry boundaries and many of us don't fit into a neat category. We are all human.

We all have a common ancestry that can be traced back a few thousand years, not millions. Only the Neanderthal is separated from us by millions of years by most estimates. There is a hot debate as to whether Neanderthals and our type of human could breed and if so, did they breed. Some people speculate that traces of Neanderthal genes exist in some European, Eskimo and Australian aborigine people. Others say that the common traits could be explained in other ways and that Neanderthal was not merely a different race, but an entirely different species from Homo sapiens.

Comment

then there is horse race, dog race...isn't that what they do with greyhounds and whippets(the dog not the car) if it were whippet the car then it would be an automobile race, which is what nascar does isn't it. then there is the 3 legged race which makes it appearance at picnics,

Comment

Since someone asked the question, my ancestry is North European, mostly English and Danish. But what does it matter? I didn't have anything to do with my ancestors or my birth country. I might as well be proud of my blue eyes or my gray beard.

Racial pride is a slippery slope toward enslavement and genocide.

Remember, the most productive strains of corn are hybrids. Vive les diff?rences!

Comment

I have the look of my "white" ancestors I consider myself a Heinz 57 also. I have two sisters who have fair skin like me. I also have one sister and one brother who have dark hair and skin. (Must be the Cherokee). And yes, we all have the same parents. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

mj...do you think men are better at three-legged races than women? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] lol [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Of course we are, HW and quit calling me mj.

Comment

Apparently Whoopie Goldberg dislikes being referred to as "African-American" instead of "American". I agree with her thinking.

Another thought is that her ancestry, like most all "African-Americans", is a combination of European and African, so it makes sense to start acknowledging the racial mix in most all of persons who call themselves "African-Americans", instead of merely declaring that one is "African-American".

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by shaybare:
                              [qb] Of course we are, HW and quit calling me mj. [/qb]
                              Sorry Shaybare....butt I didn't call you mj. Must have been the voice of confusion. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X