Nudists and tolerance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nudists and tolerance

As nudists, we are completely accepting of our own and others' naked bodies, and of being naked in various settings.

Because we are tolerant of nudity, and most of the population is not, some nudists expect nudists as a group to be more tolerant of others and their lifestyles in general. However, there is some evidence that this is not the case.

Do you think that there is something about the psychology of nudists in general that results in our being a more tolerant group?

Gary

As nudists, we are completely accepting of our own and others' naked bodies, and of being naked in various settings.

Because we are tolerant of nudity, and most of the population is not, some nudists expect nudists as a group to be more tolerant of others and their lifestyles in general. However, there is some evidence that this is not the case.

Do you think that there is something about the psychology of nudists in general that results in our being a more tolerant group?

Gary

Comment

Yes, Gary, I do believe that we are in general a more tolerant group. (Here comes the BUTT...) Butt, we are also human (told ya!!). We still have human frailties and foibles. And some of us have very strong convictions about certain things that we are not about to compromise. All in all, I think most of us have adopted a "live and let live" stance on life, along with a "let's just agree to disagree" philosophy when we don't see eye to eye. (Count the clich?s and win a prize!!!)

As for the reason we are more tolerable, I think that it may be because we have selected to live our lives in a way that is not tolerated by most our society. So we know what it is like to be different, or weird, if you will. So, we empathize with others who are seen as weird by society.

OK, so what to I win for using such big, big words!!

Comment

I do not think we are any different from anyone else, Gary. We are more accepting of ourselves, which is MOST important. I do not beleive we are any less judgemental and leary of those that we do not know.

We are also like anyone else, in the way that we tend to gravitate to those we have something in commen with, and shy away from those that we are unsure of. In some cases "tolerence" level might even be more extreme.

I do not see much difference between the clothed and the unclothed.Except it is hard to be something you are not when all is exposed.

Th real difference is, that any relationship that is formed is based on PERSONALITY and not much more.

Are we more tolerant, no probably not, BUT we are MORE willing to give folks a chance, because of the one commen bond we have....nudism.

Comment

I have to say that in general it seems, going by the posts on the site that nudists here at least are no more or less tolerant than the public at large.
          Whether they should be is an entirely different matter! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Let he who is with outsin..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I believe that yes, we are normally more tolerant. And yes it's because sometimes we are not popular and are in the persecuted ranks.

And yes being human we will always have our own opinions. Just like we have our own every piece of anatomy, Mine may be alot bigger than yours and it makes you wonder, where did he get those big ears. (were you thinking something else?) But we are tolerant of somethings we don't agree on, just like said before. Some people don't like us being nude when we are comfortable with the size of our ears and will show it off, not hidden under a hat.

I am in the military, and yes, as I watch TV and see how people desecrate MY flag, they can because I fight to give tham that right. If they do it in my presence I will utilize MY right of free speech to save MY flag and let them know what I think they are saying. You have your free speech, I have mine.

Just like if you believe that the body is natural and pure etc, etc, you may be tolerant of the situation but you have feelings for the other individuals choice. I have no qualms about someone saying my tatoos, brands or shaving have defaced my natural body. Okay that is YOUR belief, it's not mine, don't try to make it mine. You have your thoughts of free speech, I have mine, they are not the same, nor will they ever be exactly teh same.

The main thing is we're free. I don't care about your religon, race, creed or any beliefs. Don't make your rules mine.

Never forget...we have armed forces away from their families at all times. And in those countries we have our coalition troops also, Britain, Australia, United Arab Emerates, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, etc. God bless all our militaries.

I will always remember as I said my good byes to a fellow foreign soldier I worked with once. We agreed that it would be a sad day if we ever met in battle, but we would both do our jobs...both of us believing that we each would win, knowing one of us would have to lose. But we would both be glad to serve our own country, and allow the other to honorably serve theirs.

Sorry I changed topics, but always remember your armed forces, no matter what country your from' or political beliefs you have, we follow our commanders orders and do our country proud. Airborne.

Comment

So how tolerent are naturists really? Here's a thought for you. You find a dream vacation retreat. You save all year so you can go to this resort. It is expensive, but they have such great brochures showing beaches, pools, tennis courts, golf, etc. You can't wait to meet the others to enjoy this recreation. There is a no refund policy on your reservations.
              The big day comes and you arrive at the resort and check in. As you wander around outside, you begin to notice the others. They are naked of course, but there is something different about them. Everyone there are in various stages of recuperating from major, disfigureing surgery. Women with mastecomy scars, men without testicles, and alot of them with colostomy bags. You realize none of these people can participate in many of the activities.
              My question...Do you stay and try to make the best of it? Or do you leave upset with the management for not forwarning you that this was survivers camp week? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

friendly nudist - you sure are friendly. i like your post. i agree with you 100%. i am not tolerant of someone littering and i tell them regularly. i am not tolerant of rude kids on the plaground, and i tell them continually (and their parents if they do not shape up). i like naked people, but do not pee in my garden!!!

also, HW - DOH!!! what is that story about? i would be a bit upset with the resort owners for not telling me, only because such "deformities" might scare my children. i think i would have fun with them, but it would be sad that we could not play volleyball (but since i don't play that anyways, should not be a problem). i think i would be tolerant of this situation, as long as i can get to my room and back and forth to the beach, its cool [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

The story is about tolerance fd. We've seen the post for fat and nude, I just wanted opinions from another point of view. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] This may be a reason there are not too many women who are nudists. No tolerance for difference. Another reason not too many women will post on here is the way you blast them! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
                  Have a nice weekend. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I believe nudists are not much more tolerant than textiles. If we lived at a nude resort and were not influenced by the media, I would say different. As hw mentioned, the fat threads were or should have been eyeopeners for many. Many that have disabilities are shunned by alot of people, nudists included Another thread that I believe showed intolerance by many nudists wass the one about those that wanted a serious thread. It seemed to me that there was a lot of intolerance shown. I'm sorry if this offends some but that is what I perceived.

Nudists like to think they are more tolerant but I do not think they are being completely honest with themselves. The majority of us live in a textile world and are very much influenced by that world.

Many think just because they can take their clothes off in front of other people they are suddenly more tolerant of others. They are still a product of their society. And that society at the moment stresses intolerance.

Sorry didn't mean to go so long, I could go further, but I think you all understand my point and I don't want to get censored my the staff.

Forever Nude,
                    Shaybare

Comment

Very good points Shaybare!!!! Some nudists are not as honest about their tolerance as they may claim! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Very true. While nudists may be tolerant of nude people more than textiles, we are still just humans.

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by shaybare:
                          [qb]Many think just because they can take their clothes off in front of other people they are suddenly more tolerant of others.[/qb]
                          I think what's happening is not that being nudists makes them more likely to be tolerant but being tolerant makes them more likely to be nudists.

Almost by definition nudists have been through the process of challenging irrational cultural norms and come to the conclusion that nudity is nothing to be ashamed of. As such they perhaps have a greater propensity to challenge other cultural irrationalities and show greater acceptance of others who deviate from cultural norms.

However, I agree with others who say that nudists are not necesarily tolerant (we've seen quite a few on this board!) but, based on my experience, I do believe that in general they have a greater tendency to show a more caring attitude towards others.

Rik

Comment

Hey 'friendly nudist',
                            I couldn't ignore your last post, Mr. America. Gee, you're really something. Did you take the time to check the initials of this org. or are they 'USA' in your mind, no matter what anyone says?
                            Is this a test, or are you a neo-nazi imperialist
                            with no respect for anyone outside of the wonderful
                            'ideals' of the USA (oh, I'm sorry, the ideals have been suspended by the realities, my mistake)?

Comment

hw - are you saying that i blast women, or that i blast people that post things i disagree with? i'm not sure, but i do not think i blast people, women or not. please tell me! if i do blast people, this would suggest that i am not tolerant.

Comment

Working...
                              X