feelings on gender balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feelings on gender balancing

What are your feelings on gender balancing at nudist actitivies? Truthefully I don't like it. Just because their may be more men than women, or more women than men, I don't think someone of a certain gender should have to be excluded for a long time until things even out. Heck I've been to activities in which there were a lot more men than women, but the women were never picked on or made to feel uncomfortable.

What are your feelings on gender balancing at nudist actitivies? Truthefully I don't like it. Just because their may be more men than women, or more women than men, I don't think someone of a certain gender should have to be excluded for a long time until things even out. Heck I've been to activities in which there were a lot more men than women, but the women were never picked on or made to feel uncomfortable.

Comment

"Gender balancing" is just a fancy phrase to replace "discrimination". They're discriminating against unmarried men and supposedly unmarried women, as well as married men whose wives won't go with them.

Comment

I think it's quite a complex subject. The rationale for gender balancing appears to be that if venues were open to single males (and that's what we're really talking about) then it would attract more single males (because there's not that many alternative places they can go to) and would therefore accelerate the male to female imbalance as not only would more males be attracted but females would be more likely to stay away so that venures would eventually become overrun with males. The sites always had a good gender balance with only a handful of single males who, if my own experience is anything to go by, would have been made equally welcome.

If there is a general view that gender balance is a good thing then by definition that view would also be shared by a good proportion of single males so that if single males go to venues populated only by single males they would tend to drift away because the venue would not meet their aspiration of gender balance. So as single males stay away from venues which do not have the appropriate gender balance then more females would, in theory, be attracted which would have the effect of evening out the genders.

I can't speak for the US but my experience in Europe is that, apart from the UK, there is not generally the discrimination which Jon-Marc speaks of and this appears to have the effect of creating a good gender balance. At least that is the experience I had during the summer when, as a lone traveller, I stayed at 7 or 8 naturist campsites in Holland, Germany and Denmark. At none of these places was my solo status an issue and even when phoning ahead I was never asked whether I was alone.

In the UK there is more of a tendency to discriminate which means that those few places which don't are more attractive to single males. However there was a discussion on uk.rec.naturist recently where an organizer of naturist events said that she often had enquiries from single males interested in attending her (non-discriminatory) events but in the event very few actullay turned up. To me this suggests that if the gender balance is allowed to balance itself naturally there is no evidence to support the theory that venues would be dominated by single males.

But even if such places were to become overrun by single males and leaving aside the issue of whether or not clubs are right to invoke a discriminatory policy, it begs the question "should the rights of women and couples take priority over the rights of single males?" To me, logically, I can see no reason why they should and therefore I support the concept that there should be no discrimination against single males even though, as a sometimes single male myself, I prefer to go to places where there is a mix of genders.

Rik

Comment

Personally, I couldn't care less whether a resort is family-oriented, mostly women, mostly or all men as long as the men don't try to come onto me.

I go to the resort to enjoy being nude and doing things I enjoy while nude. I'm not there to pick anyone up, or even to come onto anyone. I'm not there for any reason other than to enjoy my own nudity in a way that I can't do at home. Of course, I prefer to have other people there since talking to myself doesn't get any response. I usually avoid the children and teens, although I have talked to some and even played pool with one young boy. His parents kept checking on us.

I read so much here about single women feeling threatened by single males that I stay away from them too as much as possible. That leaves only the single males or couples that I will talk to. I figure a woman who has her husband or boyfriend with her won't feel threatened by me.

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by Jon-Marc:
            [qb] Of course, I prefer to have other people there since talking to myself doesn't get any response. [/qb]
            Hmmm! I often find that talking to myself is the only way to have an intelligent coinversation. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
            quote:
            [qb]I read so much here about single women feeling threatened by single males that I stay away from them too as much as possible. [/qb]
            I think that's a mistake. Surely just talking isn't the same as coming on to them so why shouldn't you spend time with them without them feeling threatened?

Rik

Comment

Please tell me why being a single male,when I went to a nudist resort this past summer, I was told that I would be watched very carefully.
              I am new to nudism and could not understand this statement. Do they think all single male's are perverts? I didn't go back because I was not sure if I wanted to be watched that closely. And I would like to become an active nudist if I were accepted as someone who likes the lifestyle and wants to participate. Can this be answered? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by anblopc98321:
                [qb] Please tell me why being a single male,when I went to a nudist resort this past summer, I was told that I would be watched very carefully.
                [/qb]
                It's the resort managers you need to ask, not this forum where, at best, all you will get is assumptions.

Rik

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by Jon-Marc:
                  ...I couldn't care less...
                  Hooray, there is another thinking person who states the phrase correctly!

Okay, back on topic now. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Rik, I think that if nudism ever becomes as popular, and as accepted as a family activity, in the U.S. as it is in Europe, then gender balance requirements will diminish in direct proportion to the increased acceptance. Right now, the balancing thing is just a response to cope with the reality of unbalanced interest in nudism over here.

I dunno, does that make sense? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by missouriboy:
                    [qb]Right now, the balancing thing is just a response to cope with the reality of unbalanced interest in nudism over here.[/qb]
                    The point I was making is that the 'response' is flawed in that removing the restriction on single males is, in my view and based on my experience, unikely to result in naturists venues being overrun with single males.

Another point is that if there is an 'unbalanced interest in nudism' then why should that not be reflected in naturist venues. I can't think of any other leisure activity where an unbalanced gender mix would cause prblems so why should naturists have to put up with it?

Rik

Comment

Excellent point, Rik.

Comment

Good Morning--

I just woke up--haven't had enough coffee yet but I thought I'd put in my two cents into this thread. I believe that gender balancing is nothing more than a resort saying it doesn't want to allow all nudists a place to enjoy nudism. By doing so resorts are killing themselves and in the long run are going to discourage nudism instead of promoting it.

Big Mac

Comment

Rik,

I've never been any good with knowing what to say to women--particularly at a nudist resort. I'm always afraid that they will take my friendliness wrong when all I want to do is talk.

Anblopc,

I was told the same thing when I joined a nudist club (not resort). One old male member said, "You will be watched." That really made me feel good to know that because I was alone that I wasn't trusted even though they did let me join.

Missouriboy,

I've never understood why so many people don't know that when they say "COULD care less" that they're actually saying that they CARE.

Big Mac

I agree that owners of nudist venues don't seem to care if they grow or not. The resort in my city is unfriendly toward everyone. Everyone in Battle Creek who has been there that I mention the resort to has said they, even as a couple, were made to feel unwelcome there. Those who haven't been there say that they heard that they were unfriendly.

Do nudists welcome ALL people who are interested in nudism, or just married couples? Do we who are not married due to divorce (as in my case), being widowed, not yet finding the right person, choosing not to marry, or simply not liking women, feel welcome? It depends on the nudist club or resort. Some say "Singles are not welcome here." Some use "gender balance" to justify turning singles away. A few places actually welcome everyone equally. Turtle Lake Resort in Michigan, and Serendipity Park in Georgia are two that are friendly, although some people at Turtle Lake did tell me they agreed with "gender balancing".

Comment

I have been a nudist for about 20 years and I've only been to a few "resorts or clubs" so I have a somewhat narrow background. I've been to Swallows quite a few years ago and most recently DeAnza Springs in San Diego county. I tried to get into Glen Eden in Riverside county about 6 years ago. I've also been to Faywood Hot Springs in New Mexico and Eldorado Hot Springs in Arizona.

Of all of these, I would really recommend DeAnza Springs. It is spacious (500 acres) The RV and camping spaces are HUGE and the prices are reasonable. They are friendly and try to make you fit in. Of course, these are just my impressions.

Big Mac

--------------------------
                            I need to take more time to put FUN back into my life!!!!

Comment

I voted "against gender balancing," since I had to choose one or the other of the option. I would like to see a reasonable balance between men, women, and children; but there seem to be ways to achieve that without quotas or restrictions.

The Denver club I have visited does not restrict membership or visitors. Its leaders feel that the spirit of a group is more effective in deterring perverts and gawkers than restrictions. From what I've seen, it works. This club is a fine example of how to avoid the problems associated with gender imbalance without resorting to restrictive policies.

Comment

Working...
                              X