X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riptidenj
    • Nov 2005

What sort of body acceptance?

This is a topic I saw addressed recently in the AANR Bulletin. I will state that I differentiate between the scars of life"-surgical scars, mastectomies, C-sections, injuries, battle scars etc, things that are involuntary and in the cases of combat wounds, badges of honor-and unadorned fat and flab, the result of overindulgence and a lack of healthy pride in one body. I think much of the negative public image of social nudism is well summed up in the words of a woman reporter who wrote in 1979 in one of the local papers that she was appaled by the physiques she saw at the nudist resort she was invited to. "Most were ..., fat and grotesquely out of shape. Their bellies dwarfed everything else." Mr. Universe I am not, though I can claim that my waist is several inches smaller than my chest. And I do eat too much junk. But I try to keep fit through cycling to work and weightlifting, and I think that those who laugh away their weight problems with talk about body acceptance are doing themselves-and us-a big misfavor-and promote a negative image. I do not advocate the freaky physiques seen in the muscle magazines, but the old idea of a healthy mind in a healthy
    body is still true today. I don't think many of us would accept someone who is slovenly and unhygeinic in a
    social nude setting.
  • riptidenj
    • Nov 2005

This is a topic I saw addressed recently in the AANR Bulletin. I will state that I differentiate between the scars of life"-surgical scars, mastectomies, C-sections, injuries, battle scars etc, things that are involuntary and in the cases of combat wounds, badges of honor-and unadorned fat and flab, the result of overindulgence and a lack of healthy pride in one body. I think much of the negative public image of social nudism is well summed up in the words of a woman reporter who wrote in 1979 in one of the local papers that she was appaled by the physiques she saw at the nudist resort she was invited to. "Most were ..., fat and grotesquely out of shape. Their bellies dwarfed everything else." Mr. Universe I am not, though I can claim that my waist is several inches smaller than my chest. And I do eat too much junk. But I try to keep fit through cycling to work and weightlifting, and I think that those who laugh away their weight problems with talk about body acceptance are doing themselves-and us-a big misfavor-and promote a negative image. I do not advocate the freaky physiques seen in the muscle magazines, but the old idea of a healthy mind in a healthy
    body is still true today. I don't think many of us would accept someone who is slovenly and unhygeinic in a
    social nude setting.

Comment

• tinner666
      Silver Member
      • Oct 2005
      • Frank

Nudists are nude when practical, clothed when practical. It's the nature of naturism.
        I am who I am, if I was meant to be nude, I would have been born that way.
        No, I'm not the devil.

Everybody has an opinion and you're free to express it. 1st. amendment.

Comment

• Zorro
        Bronze Member
        • Apr 2004
        • "If God had meant for us to be nude, we would have been born that way!"

My textile friends always seem to think that those who go to nudist resorts are Chippendale's dancers and Playboy playmates, and then act disgusted when I tell them that nudists are ordinary people and that I am often one of the younger folks there. I think it really goes to show what they think of people (and very likely their attitude about their own bodies), clothed or not.

Comment

• nudenwv
          Silver Member
          • Dec 2004
          • nude in the mountain state

i try not to buff myself up or diet to keep in shape so to speak. this is the real me and i think we should keep that in perspective. if i work hard to keep in shape then i'm hiding so to speak. nudity is not for showing how great we can look but how great we can be as ourselves.

Comment

• FireProf
            Platinum Member
            • Jun 2002

I used to run track and play football in HS. I was in very good shape back then. Went into the service and continued to be in great shape.

After I got out of the Service, I got a 9-5 job and came home and had dinner waiting for me and the only thing I wanted to do was sit in front of the TV and veg because I was trashed. Between work and school, I didn't want to do much working out.

The fire department called and I had to get back into shape quickly. I dieted and began running and working out and got into the best shape I've ever been in. I maintained that for many years but over the years through injuries and time, I find it very difficult to maintain my weight and to stay in what I feel is reasonable shape to do the job like some of my co-workers that are 15-20 yrs younger.

I am presently 30+ lbs overweight. I try to lose weight constantly. I've tried many diets, but seems my stamina and metabolism have slowed and quite honestly...........I don't want to live on salads for the rest of my life. I'm not sure if I'll ever get back down to the 170's but I know I don't want to get any heavier than the 200+ lbs I am currently carrying around.

I'd like to lose weight for health reasons and not to somehow be more pleasing to the eye. We go to nudist venues to relax and meet like minded people not for looking at model type bodies. The Prof has gained a few lb's since HS and doesn't have that 16 y.o. body she had when we started dating but..............she still takes my breath away!

I think anyone that has weight problems should look at it from a health issue and not asthetics point of view.

Comment

• Unwired
              Bronze Member
              • Jul 2004
              • "I will never design and build a sentient computer that is smarter than I am."

quote:
              Originally posted by FireProf:
              ...I got a 9-5 job and came home and had dinner waiting for me and the only thing I wanted to do was sit in front of the TV and veg because I was trashed. Between work and school, I didn't want to do much working out.

I think anyone that has weight problems should look at it from a health issue and not asthetics point of view.

Preach, brother!

That's my situation right now. When I get home from work I'm so nuked that I don't want to do anything but sleep and eat. The most difficult part is overcoming inertia and making the workout itself as habitual as vegging at home in front of the television (or the computer, for that matter). But I've done it before, so...

But to the matter at hand: if people are legitimately concerned about the health effects of obesity, that's one thing. If someone is so shallow as to rag on fat people simply because they don't want their sense of vision offended by the sight of someone they consider less than physically perfect...well, I wouldn't place much value on their opinion.

Un

Comment

It isn't going to cause anyone to change their lifestyles.

You and the original poster assume we are all fat because of bad habits, overindulgence and is all our fault when nothing could be further from the truth.

I would bet my diet is much better than at least 80% of the people on here and yet I'm over 200 pounds.

He isn't encouraging us at all. He's actually pissing me off.

This is why changing what you eat seldom works. It does work for those who are not eating right. However that is not me and is not many overweight people.

I'm totally sick of people thinking I'm not conscious of my weight and what I eat.

Is he actually saying that fat people are "slovenly and unhygenic"?

Comment

• nacktman
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2003

Be who and what you are.

I was an athlete (football, soccer, cross country, basketball, baseball, track and field) through college and beyond and a athlete in the heavy athletics at the Scottish Highland games for years (throwing telephone poles around and picking up and throwing boulders around in novice terms) after that.

I had a 59" chest and 20" biceps with a 41" waist, stood 6'3" and weighed in at 297lbs at 21. Now I have a 59" chest and 20" biceps with a 48" waist stand 6'3" and weigh 297lbs. I had long brown hair at 16, now I have white/grey hair (what's left of it).

At 21 I was a prime catch, fit as a fiddle. Now I am a "fat slob" and have really been thought of as such the day I retired from the football field over twenty years ago by others.

I have always seen myself as a fun loving person who could do or be what he wanted to be. The only people that matter to me and what their perceptions of me are, are my grandchildren, and they think I walk on water because I have never broken my word to them about anything and I will continue that belief by not breaking my word to them.
                  Other people's perceptions of me in truth be damned, good, bad, indifferent when it all boils down it is how you see yourself that matters. Granted other's perceptions are nice to know and can mean something to you at some point in your life but be you and the rest will follow.

Comment

• Naturist Mark
                    Supreme Member
                    • Mar 2003

quote:
                    Originally posted by riptidenj:
                    I do not advocate the freaky physiques seen in the muscle magazines, but the old idea of a healthy mind in a healthy body is still true today.

Good, seeking good health is always a good thing. Now let go of your prejudices.

Body acceptance does not mean acquiescence. It means freeing yourself of the body shame that keeps you from being open to new experiences, health and happiness. Body acceptance can free you from the inhibitions that keep you from becomeing healthier.

It means freeing yourself of the prejudices that keep you from accepting other people, even if they don't meet some standard of beauty or fitness. When you embrace body acceptance, you won't feel a need to dismiss unfit people as slovenly and unhygenic. When you embrace body acceptance you will pursue fitness because it feels good and enhances health. You won't give a damn about appearance, and the people you respect won't either.

-Mark

Comment

• OZJames
                      Silver Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • JAMES
                        Enjoying WARM sunny Aussie weather
                        Be yourself,be proud, be FREE, be natural - It's the natural way to be - a NATURIST

Nudism and overweight people should not need to be discussed in the same sentence. The problems of being overweight are the same for nudists as they are for textiles.

If riptidenj wanted to make rude comments about overweight people he should have left out any reference to nudists. HOWEVER

I have come acros a lot of people who say that "he/she would look better in clothes" and people who may be a bit overweight use that as their excuse for not getting naked. It's a pity people have that attidude.

I don't agree that how we look is anything to do with nudism and/or why we like to be nude. We are nude and UNASHAMED of OUR BODIES for a thousand other reasons, sorry that should be 204 other reasons, than how we look.

riptidenj should ask himself why he asks the above question. Is he concerned that he doesn't like to look at and be with overweight people or is he concerned for their wellbeing ?

JAMES

Comment

• Pieguy
                        Bronze Member
                        • Sep 2005
                        • Spring is sprung, the grass is riz.
                          I wonder where the birdie is?
                          They say the bird is on the wing- isn't that absurd?
                          As for me I always thought the wing was on the bird....

I hope you do BUFF up though.... :P

Comment

• John P
                          Bronze Member
                          • Mar 2005

Naturists don't go around naked to show off their gorgeous bodies. They go naked because they aren't ashamed not to have gorgeous bodies!

Comment

• dan t
                            Bronze Member
                            • Aug 2005
                            • Live long and Prosper Nude!
                              dan t

I have turned 47 this year 5ft 9in, weight was all ways between 112 and 115 docter's keep telling me to put on weight!
                            This past summer I have went up to 132lb, the Dr. thinks Im much healthier!
                            I think it all went to my belly, but I am who I am

Comment

• Danee
                              Bronze Member
                              • Apr 2003
                              • ---------------------------------

Administrator
                                International Young Naturists Association
                                www.internationalyn.org

I agree with Marks writing about body acceptance but as I have said before, too many Naturists/nudists, especially in North America, forget what the root of the movement embraced. Fitness and health and yes, I think people should remember that. It IS part of the philosophy after all. Or was....

Comment

Working...
                              X