Nudity on biography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nudity on biography

I was astonished last night. I happened to catch part of A&E's episode on Hugh Hefner on Biography. As the program progressed, I was amazed that they showed some nude photos from his magazine. Nothing too rauchy but butts and breasts were prevelant.

I was happy to see this on a "non-pay" channel. Perhaps the American culture is changing somewhat. To see something like that in primetime was relieving. I feel that it was professionally done and, although not referring to nudism, did reflect that the human body isnt something to be ashamed of.

My opinion is that the American society needs to loosen up about nudisty and the media/hollywood might be a wonderful ally. Unfortunately, I sense that they will present it only as sex and not for the purity that it is.

I welcome others views on this or other examples y'all have come across of a shift in social consciousness.

I was astonished last night. I happened to catch part of A&E's episode on Hugh Hefner on Biography. As the program progressed, I was amazed that they showed some nude photos from his magazine. Nothing too rauchy but butts and breasts were prevelant.

I was happy to see this on a "non-pay" channel. Perhaps the American culture is changing somewhat. To see something like that in primetime was relieving. I feel that it was professionally done and, although not referring to nudism, did reflect that the human body isnt something to be ashamed of.

My opinion is that the American society needs to loosen up about nudisty and the media/hollywood might be a wonderful ally. Unfortunately, I sense that they will present it only as sex and not for the purity that it is.

I welcome others views on this or other examples y'all have come across of a shift in social consciousness.

Comment

I think there is a definite curve in the social conciousness changing in favor of nudism. It started at the dawn of humanity when humans started donning garments and is coming to a close now as we slowing start to take off clothing as a society. Americans and the world are starting to wear less and less clothing, just take a look at any period film or painting and you'll see what I mean.

In terms of modern-day sitings, take a look at all of the skin exposed on network sitcoms and Hollywood films. You are right, the entertainment industry is at the forefront of this social curve.

Comment

TV is definitely getting bolder. I've seen bare breasts on ER, as a woman's breasts were examined. You got a full view too. Not too many years ago that wouldn't have been done.

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by Jon-Marc:
          [qb] TV is definitely getting bolder. I've seen bare breasts on ER, as a woman's breasts were examined. You got a full view too. Not too many years ago that wouldn't have been done. [/qb]
          Ironically, when that episode was rerun after the Superbowl breast terror, they edited the breasts out.

Comment

I think the only reason why the Playboy clips were shown on "Biography" was because A&E almost had no other option. A biography of Hef would not feel all that complete without showing some of his "work."

Comment

Maybe, there's something about it being an image in an image...eg. we can show a picture of a breast in film, but we cannot show a breast in a film.

Comment

HM0504 -- Repeating what Jack Nicholson said not too long ago:

You can show a breast being hacked off in a film, but you can't show someone sucking on a beast.

Gary

Comment

You're right Gary, Jack Nicholas made a very telling point.

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by Gary Naturist:
                    [qb] HM0504 -- Repeating what Jack Nicholson said not too long ago:

You can show a breast being hacked off in a film, but you can't show someone sucking on a beast.

Gary [/qb]
                    You can in some of the theatres... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Naturist Mark:
                      [qb]
                      quote:
                      [qb] TV is definitely getting bolder. I've seen bare breasts on ER, as a woman's breasts were examined. You got a full view too. Not too many years ago that wouldn't have been done. [/qb]
                      Ironically, when that episode was rerun after the Superbowl breast terror, they edited the breasts out. [/qb]
                      Would this be an example of a "breast being hacked off"?

Comment

quote:
                        Not too many years ago that wouldn't have been done.
                        Interesting article regarding changes in time regarding exposure of breasts. Here is an article regarding this topic:
                        quote:
                        Breast Baring Commonplace Here
                        If you think we're living in racy times now, think again. Janet Jackson's Super Bowl escapade wouldn't have raised an eyebrow in the 17th century. Based on an in-depth study of fashion, portraits, prints, and thousands of woodcuts from ballad sheets of that era, researchers from the University of Warwick in Coventry, England report that women of the 1600s--from queens to prostitutes--commonly exposed one or both breasts in public and in the popular media of the day, reports Discovery News.

Here's the real kicker: They did it to show off their virtue.

Particularly in England and the Netherlands, breast exposure was common and accepted behavior in the 17th century. History researcher Angela McShane Jones became interested in the subject when she examined woodcut ballad sheets that were housed at Cambridge University, the British Library, the National Library of Scotland, and Harvard University. In the 1600s, these ballad sheets were the pop music and pulp fiction of the day, featuring a woodcut that illustrated 10 to 14 verses of song, notes the Discovery News. Costing just a half-penny or a penny each, they were purchased from street vendors at fairs and markets.

What caught Jones' attention is that many of the woodcuts depicted women with bared breasts. Sometimes the bared breast was no accident. Dresses were so low-cut they purposely exposed a woman's bosom.

Jones explained to Discovery News that in paintings, breast exposure could have symbolic meaning, especially when just one breast was shown. Ladies of the high court were often painted in allegories as classical figures or as female saints, whose martyrdom usually involved breast removal.

But most of all when a woman exposed her breast, it was a sign of her virtue. "The exposure of the breast was a display of the classical and youthful beauty of the woman. She was showing her 'apple like' unused Venus breasts," Jones told Discovery News. "This was a display of her virtue, her beauty, and her youth. Upper class women maintained the quality of their breasts by not breastfeeding their children and passing them on to wet nurses." It was actually part of a woman's honor to display her virtue by exposing her breasts. Even her husband would have been proud to have this classical beauty on display, insists Jones.

The trend began in the 1400s in the French court and was later popularized in England by Queen Mary II and Henrietta Maria, the wife of King Charles I. This unusual fashion trend had a comeback in the 18th and 19th centuries when it was scandalous for a woman to show her shoulders or legs, but quite acceptable to bare her bosom.

All of which just begs for us to ask this question: Is breast baring making a comeback now?

We definitely hope so! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Reminds of a story I read some years ago. A well-known opera singer was presenting Richard Strauss' Salome' in a European opera house- her role called for her to be nude. As she was uncomfortable with this, she wore a flesh-coloured body suit, with false pubic hair pinned to the front. Unfortunately it fell off during the performance- must have been a hoot to have been in the front row!

Comment

Regarding commonplace nudity before the Victorian era, here's an interesting link:
                            http://www.christian-travelers-guide...les/cpnea.html

Regarding nudity in opera, I've been surprised how much nudity I've seen in operas on Canada's Bravo station. (And that's only channel flipping as I'm not an opera buff.)

Comment

I don't see a snowball's chance in Hades of Hollywood depicting nudity for any other reason than that of sexuallity. If they were to depict it as the innocent nature it really is, there would be no sensationalism with which to sell their products and to push their agenda.

Nat

Comment

Working...
                              X