"Naked as a Jaybird"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Naked as a Jaybird"

Does anybody know where this expression came from? All the jay birds I've ever seen have had feathers!

Does anybody know where this expression came from? All the jay birds I've ever seen have had feathers!

Comment

I wonder if anyone has ever compiled a list of sayings and their origins and written a book on them. What about "drunk as a skunk"? Has anyone ever seen a drunk skunk? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

This dosen't address the Jaybird question, but I think it is an interesting bit of trivia.

The phrase/term "son of a gun" comes from the days of the great sailing war ships. The sailors often were not allowed to leave the ship while they were in their home port, and often their wive's would come asboard ship to visit with the sailor (while still in port). Some of the sailors had their sleeping areas between the cannons, and on occasion, a woman would give birth on the ship between the cannons. Sometimes the sailors would fire the cannons to induce labor, and thus : a son of a gun.

Useless trivia [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
          Have you ever seen a bluejay chick right out of the egg? Naked, Naked, Naked.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] Party on Garth.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X