End of Winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of Winter

Well, far as I'm concerned, the end is today!
    We'll have 2 more minutes of daylight, starting tomorrow. I can feel the warmer, hotter days on the horizon.
    Only about 60 more cold ones left. Even Thurs. and Fri. will be in 50's in Va. Days like those are excluded from my count.
    Sadly, the hot, muggy, humid days will be right behind and I'll spend less time outdoors because I have trouble breathing then.

Well, far as I'm concerned, the end is today!
    We'll have 2 more minutes of daylight, starting tomorrow. I can feel the warmer, hotter days on the horizon.
    Only about 60 more cold ones left. Even Thurs. and Fri. will be in 50's in Va. Days like those are excluded from my count.
    Sadly, the hot, muggy, humid days will be right behind and I'll spend less time outdoors because I have trouble breathing then.

Comment

Tinner666 Did you dance naked for the winter solstice as I did. Now that is the way to welcome the longer days.

Comment

Wishful thinking for sure but the winter solstice is only the beginning of the sun's movement back to same name (sextant terms) or back to the spring equanox where it is 90 degrees above the horizon.

It will take still anotehr month from today to reach the apex of the migration of cold to the south from the Artic where the sun will begin the retreat.

That is why usually at the end of January and beginning of Feb is foul weather, the currents of the ocean and air are changing to bring warmer air up from the south and allow the earth to heat to the summer where it will again begin a trend back to winter. Happens every year so far.... Hmmmmm

I do not like winter at all, but it has some purpose and I guess for the next 25 years or so of my expected life expetancy I will just have to deal with it.

Comment

I live in a northern city where we get four hours of sunrise followed by four hours of sunset this time of year. When you drive south the sun is at the level of the rear view mirror.....it does not get too high off the horizon. It is light about 10:00 a.m. now. In fact, the first Christmas we were out here we woke up at the crack of dawn which was about 9:00 a.m.

Consequently, we tend to celebrate the sun coming back and notice as the days get longer. We may still have a few months of cold left, but the light is coming back!

Comment

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You can hear ME counting the days!!!! Warm Warm summer

I walked into the bar Thursday and said "Wow the sun sure is staying up longer now" 3 people got it.

Peace

Comment

Still_Boreas

I imagine your summer days are similar to our Va. 'winter' days. Was almost 60 today. T-shirt weather here. I spent 4 years in Germany and went through the coldest winter on record, tieing the 1944 record. That was cold. You know what cold is. Most Southerners don't have a clue. I see people wrapped like Eskimoes when the calendar says Nov. And the temp will be in 60's.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by tinner666:
                Still_Boreas

I imagine your summer days are similar to our Va. 'winter' days. Was almost 60 today. T-shirt weather here. I spent 4 years in Germany and went through the coldest winter on record, tieing the 1944 record. That was cold. You know what cold is. Most Southerners don't have a clue. I see people wrapped like Eskimoes when the calendar says Nov. And the temp will be in 60's.

LOL...wrapped up at 60 degrees??? Actually you can tell who has recently moved to Canada from warmer climes by the way they are dressed at that temp.

Our summer days can be very warm, close to 90 at times. I think the high 70's (20'sC) would be the average. We are currently having a weird warm winter, with the temps hovering around freezing. Totally wierd. We should have had more -20 and -30 celsius by now. I sure hope that isn't what is in store for us in June!!

Ah well, we don't have a lot of control over what the weather gods send us now do we?

Comment

Working...
                X