In Need Of Some Opinions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Need Of Some Opinions...

I work at a hospital, and three days a week I workout at the hospital's health gym during my lunch break (nothing serious, just some treadmill and bicycle work). After working out, I go to the locker room and shower before (dressing and) returning to work. A few days ago, I went to the locker room after a workout, and there was a (female) housekeeper inside, cleaning the sinks. There was nobody else in the locker room, so I'm sure she was just trying to catch up on her work while she could. I figured she would leave when I came in, but she didn't. When I started undressing in front of my locker, I figured she would surely leave (as it is a small locker room, and she could clearly see me). But she didn't--she just continued cleaning the sinks. I didn't mind her being there, so I finished undressing. When I was down to nothing, I grabbed a towel and walked past her on the way to the shower. Only then did she decide to leave, and I'm positive she saw me nude. I later told a co-worker about the incident, and she said that MY behavior could be construed as a form of sexual harassment. What do you all think?

I work at a hospital, and three days a week I workout at the hospital's health gym during my lunch break (nothing serious, just some treadmill and bicycle work). After working out, I go to the locker room and shower before (dressing and) returning to work. A few days ago, I went to the locker room after a workout, and there was a (female) housekeeper inside, cleaning the sinks. There was nobody else in the locker room, so I'm sure she was just trying to catch up on her work while she could. I figured she would leave when I came in, but she didn't. When I started undressing in front of my locker, I figured she would surely leave (as it is a small locker room, and she could clearly see me). But she didn't--she just continued cleaning the sinks. I didn't mind her being there, so I finished undressing. When I was down to nothing, I grabbed a towel and walked past her on the way to the shower. Only then did she decide to leave, and I'm positive she saw me nude. I later told a co-worker about the incident, and she said that MY behavior could be construed as a form of sexual harassment. What do you all think?

Comment

You are in a locker room, going to a shower. Most of us shower naked, and most of us undress BEFORE we step into the shower. This is not sexual harrassment on your part.

But we don't have all of the information. Is this a co-ed locker room or is this a men's locker room?

If it is a mens only locker room. Dont sweat it.

If it is a co-ed locker room, do men and women generally undress completely together? Or do they instead take turns? Or do they never change in the locker room? Has the company provided an alternate private "changing area" within the co-ed locker room?

Any of these differences could change the preception of your actions.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, SirronD. It is a men's-only locker room. The women have their own, separate, locker room.

Comment

Matt,

She was in a mens' locker room. In a men's locker room, it is expected that men will be getting changed, taking showers, and ocasionally being naked. You did nothing wrong by being naked in an area set apart for that. She should have, out of respect, left the locker room while you were changing. You were not in the wrong, and if you really wanted to, you could go to management and complain that she stayed in there while you were changing.

Sirron,
          Where in the US is there a co-ed locker room? I've never heard of such a thing.

Bob S.

Comment

Like you, I don't know of any co-ed locker rooms (in non-nudist facilities) in the US but they are abundant in Europe. At timeshares, sports and swimming pools, hotels-- generally the changing area for the saunas are coed.

Perhaps we are just getting European. I had forgotten from my previous trips to Italy. I stop on the autoway about every two hours for rest and to relieve my bladder. Two or three weeks ago, I stopped on the Italian autoway right after crossing over from France. I went into the mens room. There were a half a dozen men in there. Following us was a cleaning lady who notwithstanding that there were three men using the urinals, started mopping the floor almost right up to our shoes.

We spent a couple of days on Ostia Beach (near the airport near Rome). It was a lovely developed beach. We had a room with a large balcony overlooking the beach -- but right in front of the beach was a rest/changing room, one for men and one for women. The doors always remained open. Every so often the cleaning lady went into the men's room regardless how many men were in there. Similarly, we noticed a maintenace man walk right into the ladies room.

I would say that half the time that I went into a men's room, a cleaning lady was in there or came in. When in Rome ...

The only thing that bothered me was the initial surprise. Certainly if I used, as I did, the coed changing rooms, the coed showers, the coed saunas and rest facilities, this shouldn't bother me.

Comment

Nudiematt, As BobS said, you did nothing wrong since it was a men's only locker room, and the woman knew it. Apparently, she wanted to do a little gawking, something a man would be fired for doing. I do housekeeping at a VA Medical Center. We have zero tolerance for sexual harrassment there. If I stayed in the women's restroom while they used it, I would be fired. Of course, the women wouldn't come in there while I'm there.

She should have asked if you wanted her to leave. Since she didn't leave until you were undressed, it's apparent as to her intentions. Had it been me, I would have told her I was going to shower, and she could decide whether or not to leave. I woulld have said I'm a nudist and don't care one way or the other. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Bob S - Many locker rooms in business's are co-ed. If you work as a waiter/waitress or you work in an amusement park, or you work in some hospitals (in housekeeping or maintenance) you will find a co-ed locker room (to store your belongings) with a seperate changing/shower area.

Many older factories have co-ed locker rooms because the buildings and business were built when the workers were expected to be either all male or all female.

Comment

I live in a pretty good sized city, and years ago we shared a locker room with female officers. Male and female police officers would share the locker room, where we would dress and undress, and carry on with the usual B.S.
                  That all came to a stop when one of the officers took a friend (female/jelous type) and she complained about what went on in there. Needless to say, the locker rooms were split after that.
                  However, there are many business which have locker rooms but not meant to be used as changing rooms.
                  Personally if I were cleaning a bathroom and a female walked in, disrobed and went into the shower, I would tip-toe out of there and not mention it to anyone out of fear of getting fired. So I doubt she will say anything, as she is the one who violated policy. I'm sure her policy states that she must vacate the facility whenever someone of the other sex enters. At any rate, she should have used signs at the entrance indicating the facility was closed for maintenance.

Comment

A follow-up on my original post:
                    In talking to a few male co-workers who also use the locker room, I've discovered that this was not an isolated incident with regards to this particular housekeeper. Apparently, she has a penchant for "accidentally" walking in while men are getting dressed, then exclaiming things like: "Oh, I didn't realize there was anybody in here" and "Oh, I didn't think you would be naked." Should I report her behavior to her superior, or should I just continue letting her get her "jollies"?

Comment

The decision is up to you, but you can be sure that if the shoe was on the other foot, she would surely report you. I never walk into the women's restroom to clean it without knocking. Of course, they don't always answer when I do. One woman even left the door unlocked while she was in there on the stool, and that was a single person restroom. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

NudieMat,
                        I dislike the idea of anyone reporting someone to the administration when they yourself could tactfully take care of the situation by a little talk with the "offender". Try not to get anyone in trouble with the administration, nor let them get you in trouble. Too bad our culture would consider a woman in the men's locker room negatively.

Comment

NudieMatt,
                          I am NOT suggesting that there are never any situations which must be reported to the administration immediately.

Comment

I believe that our culture should grow toward the acceptance of the nude human body. However, it is not progress toward that goal when a clothed person hired to clean a locker room of the opposite sex drops his/her work in order to stare at those are undressing or nude. That is voyerism not nudism.

Comment

Trailscout,
                              I don't know that she "dropped her work and stared", but I agree with you that she certainly seems voyeristic.

Comment

Working...
                              X