• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug H
    replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bob S.:
    [qb] Of course, does this show count as a newsmagazine or as entertainment?

Bob S.[/qb]
    It's not on the level of "60 Minutes" that's for sure. Excess hype seems to be an essential ingredient to their marketing plan.

Doug H.

Leave a comment:

• Bob S.
    replied
    I have to agree with Nate in that this vignette story was badly done. But not because they necessarily went to PL. My beef with the show was in how they did the story. It was as if they decided previous to going there to take the angle of showing how weird and eccentric a nudist "colony" can be.

In fact, that was my first clue that it wasn't going to be too positive, their use of the term, "nudist colony." The reporter seemed to go for the juvenile humor throughout the whole segment, and that was especially pronounced when he asked the woman (can't remember her name) about playing tennis. Questions like "Where do they put the balls?" "How many balls do they use?" The woman was clearly irritated with that childish line of questioning.

Also comparing PL to Southern Exposure was a little unfair. It seemed that they were trying to make SE seem to be the hillbilly place, the rural, backwoods area. Overall, I thought they did a bad job with the whole story, failing the most basic responsibilities of journalism such as research and non-biased reporting. Of course, does this show count as a newsmagazine or as entertainment?

Bob S.

Leave a comment:

• untanned
    replied
    Everyone seems to have his own opinion about the merits of Paradise Lakes as it was portrayed by Fox's segment. If you ask, me the place illustrates the difference between clothing optional and nudist, and I'll take nudist over c/o any time.
    But, in another vein, does anyone notice how squeamish the networks and local channels have gotten regarding nudity? My interest in nudism was first piqued in the late seventies and early eighties when the TV cameras were always hitting nude beaches and nudist camps during their rating sweeps. Granted, this was also driven by the free beach movement's progress. Back then, the camera revealed much more. Bare buttocks were visible on screen throughout such segments back then, and a little bit of pubic hair was all right if it happened to find its way into the shot as they captured a nudist's hip in profile. Since the 1990's it seems, they've gotten much more prudish about even showing nudists' posteriors. This at a time when the motion pictures reveal just about every actor's butt and cable has put nudity in living rooms for two generations.
    To me, this is not a contradiction. Society, or at least the media, is obsessed with sex, and at the same time it confuses nudity with sex. Therefore they have to reveal less during a news report because, deep down, they regard nudity as perverse.
    The very sarcastic and supercilious treatment of nudism on Fox's The Pulse is just the harbinger of more to come.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    luvnaturism ...I agree completely...I settled down into my easy chair at 9 on 2 for "The Pulse Show"...and promptly fell sound asleep.Didnt wake up til 10..Sounds like I didnt miss much.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• luvnaturism
    replied
    How long was the segment (I didn't see it)? 10 minutes or so? There's no way to show the entire spectrum of naturism in that time, even if the show placed a high value on truthful perspective?something that TV seldom does.

To show the whole range you're going to have to show such free activities as nude beaches, nude hiking, nude climbing, and nude rafting. Then you're going to have to go the other end of the scale and show nude cruises and the Caribbean 5-star c/o resorts, all of which are a lot more expensive than those mentioned above. It's also going to be necessary to discuss naturism both as an activity and as a life philosphy.

In other words, nothing less than an hour is going to have the kind of perspective mentioned above. That's just realism.

Also, I strongly believe that naturism is many things to many people, and that no one definition or practice fits everyone. People have to find their own comfort levels, and follow their own interests. Naturism is really diverse?and I think that someone who's been nude in the sun all day, but who likes to dress up for a party at night, is still a naturist.

I've only been to been one party where people dressed up in sexy outfits for a dance. I was expecting to be repelled by it, but instead I laughed a lot. People who I had seen naked all day didn't turn out to be turn-ons when they wore sexy clothes. They just looked hilarious. Do others remember the word "camp" to describe a form of zany humor? That's how it affected me.

Leave a comment:

• Trailscout
    replied
    A few minutes of video about an expensive C/O Florida resort that caters to affluent retirees did not provide the overview of nudist culture I hope the general public will someday get to see.

Paradise Lakes may be a part of nudist life, but there's a lot more to our way of life than what Fox presented.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "I noticed that in its footage of the five-star resort Paradise Lakes, all of the service personnel were fully clothed. While there could be legal issues that compel this in the bars and restaurants of the resort, there was no reason for the owner of the resort to be clothed during his interviw with Fox, but he was. It makes one wonder how much he really puts his money where his mouth is."

The staff have to be dressed... it's the law. As for the owner, he's not a nudist. He bought Paradise as an investment which means he put all his money where his mouth is.

Paradise is clothing optional and many that go there are not hardcore nudists. Does this mean they can't enjoy being nude (or semi nude) because *you* don't like the manner in which they do it? The average Paradise visitor is from out of the state on vacation, kids are grown, retired and that is what they showed. Should they have planted kids in there when there really aren't many if any there on a daily basis? Bussed in younger people that don't normally go? Paradise is very expensive and the younger ones can most likely not afford it there.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "No one, the word actually defines itself very nicely, the word is "nudist" that by the difinition of the word itself means nude, not dressed up!"

And that meanss to qualify by your definition you have to be nude 24/7? I stop being a nudist when I dress to go get the mail? Not hardly....

and quit sidestepping the part about the guy's net shorts. How does that hurt your kids?

Leave a comment:

• Nate Dekan
    replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by cyndiann:
    [qb][QUOTE]As for what is nudist and not nudist, who put you in charge of the definitions?[/qb]
    No one, the word actually defines itself very nicely, the word is "nudist" that by the difinition of the word itself means nude, not dressed up!

Nate

Leave a comment:

• untanned
    replied
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Did anybody catch Fox TV's little segment on nudism last night?

Yesterday evening I caught the story about the trend of nudist parks becoming like five-star resorts on the Fox Network's program The Pulse. While it was not openly negative in its presentation of nudism, it mocked the movement and its practitioners without letting up. From the first words of the host's introduction of the report, it was obvious that they either had not done their research, or they didn't care about fairly representing social nudism. Shepard Smith referred to the resorts as "nudist colonies" and then "nudie camps."
    The footage of nudes in the five-minute segment showed absolutely no families, nothing multi-generational, and under-represented couples as well. Even the way in which the photographers avoided having one man's genitals exposed on screen, by a strategically placed microphone, was tongue-in-cheek.
    Who can blame nudists for wanting to keep their nudism a secret from neighbors, coworkers and even family? Who can blame any nude event for wanting to keep the media out, when all they do is make every question and cut of the film things to embarrass us (or to try to embarrass us). While the Fox network might be excused for not wanting to make its segment appear to be an endorsement of nudism, it was not necessary to make fun of nudists.
    When I recovered from my outrage at Fox's very biased and openly sneering treatment of nudism, I noticed that in its footage of the five-star resort Paradise Lakes, all of the service personnel were fully clothed. While there could be legal issues that compel this in the bars and restaurants of the resort, there was no reason for the owner of the resort to be clothed during his interviw with Fox, but he was. It makes one wonder how much he really puts his money where his mouth is. I have been to another camp where those with the most pronounced tan lines were the owners. By contrast, the owner of Southern Exposure, the primitive, no-frills nudist camp also profiled, did his interview in the nude.
    Maybe people some day will realize that for nudism to be social, there will have to be some sense of fellowship. The friends in the rustic Southern Exposure probably realize this.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nate Dekan:
    [qb]
    quote:
    [qb][QUOTE]Sounds like you had your mind up before you watched it.... you are sick just because a few women wore thongs? They are clothing optional![/qb]
    Well I admit that what I've heard about PL before didn't help me think it was really family orinted or nudist. This show and your comments about this show showing more nudity than there normally is at PL comfirms it. But the sight that REALLY made me sick wasn't women in thongs, it was the male in a thong and some ugly see through thing, not anything I'd wan't kids to see!

[qb]
    quote:
    You guys wonder why there aren't more women nudists and this kind of attitude explains some of it. Women (most) like to dress up sexy and go out! [/qb]
    If women (or men) want to dress up sexy and go out, that's fine but it's not NUDIST, nudist is undressing not dressing up. Dressing up sexy doesn't belong in a nudist club!!!

Nate[/qb]
    "some ugly see through thing".... I watched the tape just now and saw a man with a pair of net shorts on. How in the world would that be harmful to your kid?

Did you stop to think that perhaps the women put the thongs on because the cameras were there?

As for what is nudist and not nudist, who put you in charge of the definitions? Paradise has been there over 20 years and has had dances where people dress up. Right next door is Lake Como, the oldest nudist club in Florida and extremely traditional and they have dances on Saturday night where it is totally permissable to wear lingerie and whatever they want. Many clubs do allow women to dress in something for dances.

I've been a nudist since 1985 and I still like dressing up for dances.

Like you said, you watched it already sure you'd hate it and your comments show that. Try being neutral once and open your mind to new things. dancing in a net dress isn't hurting anybody, and neither is wearing net shorts.

Leave a comment:

• Nate Dekan
    replied
    quote:
    [qb][QUOTE]Sounds like you had your mind up before you watched it.... you are sick just because a few women wore thongs? They are clothing optional![/qb]
    Well I admit that what I've heard about PL before didn't help me think it was really family orinted or nudist. This show and your comments about this show showing more nudity than there normally is at PL comfirms it. But the sight that REALLY made me sick wasn't women in thongs, it was the male in a thong and some ugly see through thing, not anything I'd wan't kids to see!

[qb]
    quote:
    You guys wonder why there aren't more women nudists and this kind of attitude explains some of it. Women (most) like to dress up sexy and go out! [/qb]
    If women (or men) want to dress up sexy and go out, that's fine but it's not NUDIST, nudist is undressing not dressing up. Dressing up sexy doesn't belong in a nudist club!!!

Nate

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nate Dekan:
    [qb]I thought the show was really bad. I've heard things about Paradise Lakes before, but thought I might still like to see it. Not any more! Seeing this show totally turned me off to PL. Not only were there several women in thongs, they also showed a man in a thong plus some sort of really ugly and I guess supposedly "sexy" see through get up, that is not what "nudism" is about! And cyndiann just said they showed more nudity at PL than there really is. It makes me sick that PL is called a "nudist" resort and is part of AANR! (From seeing this show I was far more interested in going to Southern Exposure, at least it looked like a club that might fit my values more.)[/qb]
    Sounds like you had your mind up before you watched it.... you are sick just because a few women wore thongs? They are clothing optional!

You guys wonder why there aren't more women nudists and this kind of attitude explains some of it. Women (most) like to dress up sexy and go out! If you guys tried looking at these things from a female point of view maybe you'd get someplace.
    [qb]
    quote:

xcept for a couple clothed staffers, I don't think I saw anyone under the age of 50, (at either PL or SE) that is sad as well. There needs to be more young people at the clubs and parks. No insult intended to anyone, but seeing older people walking around in thongs and see throughs on TV, isn't going to attract many young people IMHO.

Nate[/qb]
    You didn't look very well... the first singer is under 50 and so were several sitting at the bar. Yes, we do need more young people and you will find most of them at the free beaches because people at the clubs have too many freakin rules, especially ones that discriminate against the younger people.

Paradise could care less if they don't attract the younger ones... they are after a different type of nudist, the retired or near retired people with lots more money to spend than the young ones do.

Leave a comment:

• Nate Dekan
    replied
    I thought the show was really bad. I've heard things about Paradise Lakes before, but thought I might still like to see it. Not any more! Seeing this show totally turned me off to PL. Not only were there several women in thongs, they also showed a man in a thong plus some sort of really ugly and I guess supposedly "sexy" see through get up, that is not what "nudism" is about! And cyndiann just said they showed more nudity at PL than there really is. It makes me sick that PL is called a "nudist" resort and is part of AANR! (From seeing this show I was far more interested in going to Southern Exposure, at least it looked like a club that might fit my values more.)

Also except for a couple clothed staffers, I don't think I saw anyone under the age of 50, (at either PL or SE) that is sad as well. There needs to be more young people at the clubs and parks. No insult intended to anyone, but seeing older people walking around in thongs and see throughs on TV, isn't going to attract many young people IMHO.

Nate

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I thought that Paradise gave a distorted view of their club in a few ways. First of all the first two singers doing karaoke are usually not nude when there are no cameras. I've been there enough to know who wears what. The great majority of singers are dressed or half dressed. Most people dress in the gym as well. I'd say about half the tennis players are dressed and half not. I think that perhaps the clientel were dressed because the cameras were there so a few volunteered to be nude on camera so I guess it all comes out even.

I thought the show took some cheap shots at Southern Exposure too, making it look very inferior to Paradise when I think the reality is that the two places are just very different. The only thing they really have in common is that they are both for nudists, and Paradise isn't even %100 nudists. Sometimes people prefer a campground over a resort and one is no better than the other.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X