Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4 of men too ashamed to get naked in front of their partners

From the UK:
    A quarter of men are so embarrassed by their bodies that they are reluctant to be naked in front of their partner, a survey claimed yesterday.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

The huge media drive to make us all ashamed to be different to the skinny models and actresses is taking its toll on men now, and how much would you like to gamble that the reporters are somewhat less than the image of perfection they portray in their magazines.

I don't want to look like Angelina Jolie anyway!!!!!!!

Pete Knight

Comment

I'm dubious about a poll that finds that 25% of men are reluctant to be nude with their partners. That number just seems too high.On the other hand, it would be asking a lot to expect that boys and men would not be affected by the images of perfection that surround us.

Indeed, it's been obvious for years that people are damaged by unrealistic expectations about their bodies. One example is the serious problem of steroid use by boys who are unhappy with the way they look.

Comment

I'm dubious about a poll that finds that 25% of men are reluctant to be nude with their partners.
        I'm not! There was a similar article a year or two ago saying the same thing about women being "too shy" to get undressed in front of their partners - and I think that was about the same percentage. This is clearly something which is increasing year-on-year.

Brilliant! For once in my life, I'm a trend-setter!

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by luvnaturism View Post
          I'm dubious about a poll that finds that 25% of men are reluctant to be nude with their partners. That number just seems too high.
          The poll should have been a bit more specific. There is "nude as I'm walking from the shower to the bedroom"; and then there's "nude standing in front of my wife and having a conversation." I find it believable that 25% of males would find it difficult to just stand or sit there, completely nude in front of their wives.

Comment

not the case here. i have been nude in front of my wife since i retired in 2004. it didn't even bother me to strip in front of total strangers when we took our first social nudist trip. as i have mentioned before i have not seen any ugly nude person. this is me and i accept the way i look why don't you.

Comment

Lights out before undressing!

My friend of very many years and his wife turn out the light before they undress for bed, as he feels he is too thin and she thinks she is overweight. Most persons would consider them both of quite acceptable weight.

Of the very many years that I have known my friend, I have seen him nude (briefly) only twice. He has seen me nude numerous times and doesn't care. He won't go swimming as he would not want anyone to see his body even with swimming trunks on.

Last month when he was my house guest, he actually took off his T-shirt exposing his hairy chest, so maybe he is making progress, but I don't seriously think that he will turn out to be a "late bloomer".

Comment

I truly believe that a little social nudism for everyone would go a long way in demystifying the human body
                Have you not thought that maybe some people actually like the mystery?

Stu

Comment

In today's society, through Hollywood hype and media 'hunks', it's no wonder why males, and females, have a complex about their bodies. It is portrayed that if you do not have a 'perfect body' you are not accepted, or frowned upon.

Growing up, body image was not a thing I wanted to share. Eventually I grew out of that stage to the "I don't care what I look like", which happened in the high school years. I finally realized that everyone else had the same things; some larger, some smaller, some smoother, some hairier, some shorter, some taller, some fatter, some thinner. Maybe this was the first time I realized I was a nudist, but not to the point of sharing with other people yet.

That said, over the years, the body image has been molded to the Hollywood 'heart throbs'. It has come to the point that if we don't look like those people we see in magazines or on TV, then we must be less than perfect. True, parental upbringing has a lot to do with this as well. My house, nudity was not an option.

Then the time comes when we move out of our houses and start to live on our own, with boyfriends/girlfriends, turning to eventually husbands/wives. But the parental upbringing remains with us. If we were taught that we must 'cover' up, then that is carried over. Eventually that mold is broken over time, but the body image remains forever. That's the mold that is hard to break. Some people break that mold rather easily, whereas others, it takes a lifetime, if ever.

Oh well, same old story. There will always be a polls on nudity and how it is viewed by the public. Some stories are positive and some negative. All I know, my body image mold has been broken years ago, so no shame for me. I just wish everyone else shared the same views we all share.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu2630 View Post
                    I'm not! There was a similar article a year or two ago saying the same thing about women being "too shy" to get undressed in front of their partners - and I think that was about the same percentage. This is clearly something which is increasing year-on-year.

Brilliant! For once in my life, I'm a trend-setter!

Stu
                    I wouldn't question a poll that found that 25% of the women were uncomfortable being nude with their mates, as I do think that the fears that go with body image issues are more prevalent among women. There are obvious reasons for that when one considers how differently boys and girls are raised.

However, certainly there are men who are concerned about not being seen. The homes in our development were all built with clear glass shower enclosures. A medical doctor had the clear glass replaced with frosted so his wife wouldn't see him showering. I just question whether he has as much company as the poll reported. We all know examples of polls that were later shown to be well wide of the mark.

Of course we think differently in our household. Our next major home improvement job will be to relocate our shower so that it will be in front of the large picture window in our bath area. When we do we'll put in two shower heads so that we can shower together.

Comment

If we were taught that we must 'cover' up, then that is carried over. Eventually that mold is broken over time, but the body image remains forever. That's the mold that is hard to break. Some people break that mold rather easily, whereas others, it takes a lifetime, if ever.
                      Perhaps many people are happy with the mold and have no wish to break it.

On a slightly different tack, I believe that nudists are peddling a myth about "shame" and "body image". Take two people - one has the "perfect" body and the other is massively out-of-shape. They have a choice to go nude or textile on a beach. The one who is out-of-shape is no less likely to go nude because of his body shape than the one with the perfect body because swimming costumes do not offer any protection from one's shape being apparent. Swimwear is designed to cover only the more intimate parts on the anatomy; it is not designed to hide a big belly or cellulite on the hips or flabby arms - it doesn't even conceal the fact that a woman has unusually large or small breasts! Going nude is neither a benefit nor a disadvantage to an individual with a less-than-perfect body shape. The opposite is also the case. A man with a great physique or a woman with a film-star figure is no more likely to want to show off the parts of their bodies which swimwear normally covers than anyone else is. If anything, appropriate clothing is generally thought to enhance the appearance of the human body, partly because they add colour, and partly because, to be frank, they conceal unsightly glands and excretory organs.

luvnaturism

We all know examples of polls that were later shown to be well wide of the mark.
                      I wholeheartedly agree - such polls are unscientific and unreliable. I've said that all along when people here have cited polls to me.

Of course we think differently in our household. Our next major home improvement job will be to relocate our shower so that it will be in front of the large picture window in our bath area. When we do we'll put in two shower heads so that we can shower together.
                      That's great. As they say across the Atlantic, "Different strokes for different folks".

Wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same?

Stu

Comment

it's a dubious poll. I mean how does anyone know?

I have heard a lot of guys are having problems performing in bed.

more reason to be nudists. on nude beaches I notice guys seem more virile.

Harry

Comment

Nudiarist

...causing people with perfectly fine bodies to diet excessively, develop eating disorders, obsess about themselves, and even go under the knife to change themselves physically.
                          That's a perfectly valid point. In affluent western culture, we find ourselves with two extreme positions - some people become narcissistic and image-obsessed, while others just give up and pile on the weight. Both of these are physically unhealthy and symptomatic of underlying errors of thinking or self-control. And I will agree with you that the persistent portrayal of unrealistic human physical perfection in the media adds to the problems by feeding the image obsession or reinforcing the body negativity of the overweight. But none of this is relevant to my point about "mystery". There is no "mystery about perfect pectorals and a honed six-pack just as there is no "mystery" about a double chin and an expansive waistline. The "mystery" relates to those parts of the human body which we textiles keep under wraps - and they aren't generally the most aesthetically pleasing parts of the anatomy. And this "mystery" certainly wasn't concocted by the media, but developed over a couple of centuries by virtue, originally, of religious teaching of these parts of the body being "sinful" (not something I subscribe to, BTW).

Bring back gang showers in schools, nude swimming at the YMCA, skinny dipping at the old swimming hole.
                          So long as these activities are voluntary by the participants and out of sight of the rest of us, then I have no problem agreeing with that. Compulsion or coercion to participate in, or to see, nudity, on the other hand, is unacceptable and verging on abuse.

When I talk about social nudity I am not saying that everyone has to be a nudist, but that it's healthy and normal for people to see each other naked once in a while. This "mystery" that you advocate is a social disease that makes people fearful of their own nakedness, and the nakedness of others.
                          You think it's "healthy and normal for people to see each other naked" - fair enough - but I don't. I don't think it is either healthy or unhealthy: it's a matter of personal choice for all involved. As to it being "normal" - I fail to see why it is either "normal" or "abnormal". Normality is entirely subjective in this case and while it would be perfectly normal in your family and social circles, it would be highly abnormal in mine.

Can't you see that I'm showing your lifestyle a respect that you aren't willing to show mine. I am promoting choice. I am validating your lifestyle as valid for you whereas you insinuate mine is unhealthy and abnormal. Then you accuse me of being contrary and provocative.

Harry

more reason to be nudists. on nude beaches I notice guys seem more virile.
                          I'm not sure how you would draw that conclusion but I'll take your word for it.

Stu

Comment

And George Bush is supporting the troops by promoting the Iraq War.
                            OK

:confused:

Stu

Comment

HaroldTheNudist has got it pegged ... the entire poll this thread is about was bogus (sorry, Harold it wasn't just dubious).

It was rigged to show the results as it did.

It was done by a company looking to promote their 'weight loss' products and programs.

In other words a cheap ad disguised as 'research'.

Oh, and nudiarist, sarcasm is lost on some I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                              X