Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National GoTopless Protest Day (USA, August)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National GoTopless Protest Day (USA, August)

Are topfreedom rights finally getting a voice in the US? A "National GoTopless Protest Day" is being organized for August 23 and 26 to coincide with Women's Equality Day 2008.

The aim is to demand the fundamental right for women to be bare chested in public places whenever men are. So far major events are planned for Los Angeles, New York City, Miami, Hawaii and Denver. GoTopless.org is coordinating assistance to anyone who wants to organize events in other cities.

TERA supports the basic idea, but worries that the emphasis on constitutional rights may be counterproductive.

While topfreedom is of course really an issue of women's equality, not naturism (see previous discussion), the GoTopless Day may at least offer a good example of how to link to mainstream events to get issues like body acceptance into the national dialogue.

Thanks for posting this. I will check the links, and the TERA site to see what they are saying.

I suspect the first step, at least around here, is more education and information first. Many women do not know they can be topfree anywhere a man can in Canada. They need to learn and become more comfortable with the idea.

It is supposed to go up to 30 C (90ish) this weekend, so you may find me topfree in may backyard for a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by Olympia
      I think this underscores the fundamental lack of understanding of the differences between men and women. Sure I feel it is great for a woman to go bare chested. But we shouldn't assume that 'equal' means identical. Women have always been equal to men, but this issue is really about being identical which has left some people confused. Equality lies in the sum total, not the individual parts. A woman's chest has certain sex appeal that a man's chest does not have and until that changes, we should not assume that a woman should have identical rights regarding toplessness.

For a woman to go top free, it represents a greater level of informality than if a man does likewise. Before we move forward on topless rights, we need to first as a culture change in people's minds this differing perception of informality and sex appeal between the sexes. That would necessitate working to eliminate any media that sensualizes womens' breasts. Frankly I do not see that happening. Both sides of the issue must be dealt with. Not only should we continue trying to educate people that natural forms of toplessness are good, such as breast feeding, or momentary exposure due to dressing, we must also speak out against, and work to eliminate the subtle ways that women are degraded in media (for example, the numerous topless beach voyeur videos on the video sharing web sites). Until that happens, just declaring that women have the right to bare it whenever men do, will be shallow and ineffective at really bringing women any equality.
      I don't agree, the sexualisation of breasts was brought about by covering them in the first place, try going to countries where women are bare breasted and see the reality, and moving on to changing perceptions before baring breasts, that IMHO is the wrong way around, the normalisation of top freedom will bring about cultural change, but cultural change won't happen just by talking about it.

Pete Knight

Comment

the normalisation of top freedom will bring about cultural change, but cultural change won't happen just by talking about it.
        And who mandated nudists to bring about a "cultural change" to the textile community?

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu2630 View Post
          And who mandated nudists to bring about a "cultural change" to the textile community?

Stu
          It is not just nudists. It is also a group of women who believe this change should happen.

Check www.tera.ca for more information.

Comment

Originally posted by Olympia
            I think this underscores the fundamental lack of understanding of the differences between men and women. Sure I feel it is great for a woman to go bare chested. But we shouldn't assume that 'equal' means identical. Women have always been equal to men, but this issue is really about being identical which has left some people confused. Equality lies in the sum total, not the individual parts. A woman's chest has certain sex appeal that a man's chest does not have and until that changes, we should not assume that a woman should have identical rights regarding toplessness.

For a woman to go top free, it represents a greater level of informality than if a man does likewise. Before we move forward on topless rights, we need to first as a culture change in people's minds this differing perception of informality and sex appeal between the sexes. That would necessitate working to eliminate any media that sensualizes womens' breasts. Frankly I do not see that happening. Both sides of the issue must be dealt with. Not only should we continue trying to educate people that natural forms of toplessness are good, such as breast feeding, or momentary exposure due to dressing, we must also speak out against, and work to eliminate the subtle ways that women are degraded in media (for example, the numerous topless beach voyeur videos on the video sharing web sites). Until that happens, just declaring that women have the right to bare it whenever men do, will be shallow and ineffective at really bringing women any equality.

I hear what you're saying but I think going at the matter directly is the most effective way. I think if women take advantage of the laws allowing them to topfree it will de-sexualize the breast. I believe that is how it came about in europe. The argument about equal rights has also been effective in Canada so I see it as simply a matter of time until we see the same thing in the US.

Comment

Boreas

It is not just nudists. It is also a group of women who believe this change should happen.
              I stand corrected. It's (some) nudists plus a tiny group of militant feminists as well.

And they're trying to impose their own "cultural change" on the rest of us in furtherance of their own, very particular, ideological aims and regardless as to how the rest of us feel about our cultural traditions and values.

It ain't right!

Stu

Comment

why would they protest like that in New York City, where it's legal to do that anyways?

Comment

Stu
                  Oh, it isn't a mandate. It is a choice.

Some people have chosen to try to move the culture to what they consider to be a less dysfunctional, healthier, and more egalitarian state. Pretty cool, eh?

-Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Riot.EXE View Post
                    why would they protest like that in New York City, where it's legal to do that anyways?
                    Because most people are unaware of this freedom, and the social stigma associated with it still so strong that many public officials still try to get away with oppressing those who attempt to exercise their rights. New York City has ended up paying settlements to women multiple times for illegally restricting their right to topfreedom. The city of Moravia, NY tried to prosecute 4 women even thought they KNEW topfreedom was legal. Police spokesmen in Buffalo, NY stated they would arrest topfree women in their city, despite the law.

-Mark

Comment

Mark

Some people have chosen to try to move the culture to what they consider to be a less dysfunctional, healthier, and more egalitarian state. Pretty cool, eh?
                      The key words in that statement are "they consider". But it's not just their state - it's everyone's state and minorities have no business trying to manipulate the majority's culture. I like my culture as it is and I reckon most other people feel the same way. We don't want people messing with it, thanks.

Stu

Comment

Mark

The key words in that statement are "they consider". But it's not just their state - it's everyone's state and minorities have no business trying to manipulate the majority's culture. I like my culture as it is and I reckon most other people feel the same way. We don't want people messing with it, thanks.

Stu
                        Of course minorities have the right to change society. Even minorities as small as a single individual.

Margaret Mead:
                        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

-Mark

Comment

Originally posted by NudeAl View Post
                          I hear what you're saying but I think going at the matter directly is the most effective way. I think if women take advantage of the laws allowing them to topfree it will de-sexualize the breast. I believe that is how it came about in europe. The argument about equal rights has also been effective in Canada so I see it as simply a matter of time until we see the same thing in the US.
                          I think you are absolutely correct. While I have not had the courage to go topfree for a variety of reasons, I have been doing my part to let people know that topfreedom is essentially legal for women in Canada. A few brave women like Gwen Jacobs have paved the way.

One day, I will be in the right mood, and the right spot and the top will come off!

Comment

Boreas

I stand corrected. It's (some) nudists plus a tiny group of militant feminists as well.

And they're trying to impose their own "cultural change" on the rest of us in furtherance of their own, very particular, ideological aims and regardless as to how the rest of us feel about our cultural traditions and values.

It ain't right!

Stu
                            You poor thing. The times they are a changing.

Thank goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by Naturist Mark View Post
                              Of course minorities have the right to change society. Even minorities as small as a single individual.

Margaret Mead:
                              Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

-Mark
                              Amen. And thank goodness for those vocal minorities. Now women have the vote. First Nations' people have the vote. People of different races can marry. In Canada, same sex couples can marry.

Thank goodness for change! It can be scary. It is often for the better, especially in the area of human rights.

Oh, and to bring up an old argument, if women had not fought for change, we'd still be covered from neck to ankle. It is a warm day here today, and I am glad to be able to go out in public with minimal clothes on!

Comment

Working...
                              X