10-year-old boy protest nude beach? Come on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-year-old boy protest nude beach? Come on

I read this and thought, my goodness, this kid has been taught to fear the sight of a naked person so much that he would go to this extreme. I bet his parents have told him to close his eyes when he pees and showers so that he could not see himself. It makes me wonder that these are the kids that grow up to be rapist and sex crazed maniacs.

Heres the article link, I posted the article below.

Click here to read the article

'Horrible' sight of naked man spurs boy's protest
    By KAY BLUNDELL - The Dominion Post | Saturday, 25 October 2008

Email a Friend | Printable View | Have Your Say
    MAARTEN HOLL/Dominion Post
    ANTI-NUDE: 10-year-old Kapiti Coast resident Michael Hayward has started a petition against nudity on the area's beaches.

Related Links
    Subscribe to Archivestuff
    Have your say

Advertisement
    AdvertisementA 10-year-old Kapiti Coast boy has launched a petition against nudity on local family beaches.

Kena Kena School pupil Michael Hayward presented his 144-signature petition to Kapiti Coast District Council's regulatory and management committee after a "horrible" sighting of a man sunbathing naked on Paraparaumu Beach.

The petition opposed a proposed council bylaw under which nudity would be allowed but if nudists' behaviour was deemed offensive it would be dealt with by the police.

Michael and his mother spotted the naked man near McLean Park children's playground this month.

"I was very upset when we saw the man with no clothes lying right where we had to walk past him. It was horrible, I felt embarrassed, I think other children would find it disturbing. It was not something kids should have to put up with."

Yesterday the council extended to November 3 the deadline for submissions on the bylaw. Spokesman Tony Cronin said most of the 200 received so far were saying, "We don't want our beaches naked" and the council was saying, "Neither do we, but we can't enforce that."

Mr Cronin said "every other Wellington local authority" had the same stance. "There is nothing to stop you being on the beach naked except that you may offend somebody, in which case the police may be called."

Michael said the council should designate nude areas, such as parts of Paekakariki and Peka Peka beaches where nudity had been popular for years. "Family beaches should stay family beaches."

His mother rang the police about the sunbather, who was advised by police to get dressed, and he left.

School principal Bruce McDonald praised Michael's achievement.

"He has done something important. It is a serious local issue."

Council chief executive Pat Dougherty stressed the proposed bylaw was no different from the existing one, which had worked "just fine".

"A guy took his clothes off on Paraparaumu Beach and the police moved him on."

Well, it appears obvious that this boy,or his family, was not raised as a nudist. I will admit that it is a bit unusual when a boy that age conducts a protest by himself with no adults,mainly his parents, backing him up. I am wondering if his parents out him up to this, or if he is doing this on his own. But I guess it will be somewhat of a difficult battle if this particular beach allows nudity in certain areas. I don't know if it does or not. I am not quite sure about the angle of kids growing up to be either rapists or sex maniacs though. If he was taught to fear the sight of a nude person, it really wouldn't surprise me at all. This is how a lot of people who were not raised as nudist or in a nudist environment would react in this situation unless I am wrong. I am in no way putting down non-nudists in any way, but this is what we are going to have to contend with as long as we both exist on the same planet! I am hoping I don't sound too bizarre on this story or subject.

Ken Palmer

Originally posted by connorsdad View Post
    I read this and thought, my goodness, this kid has been taught to fear the sight of a naked person so much that he would go to this extreme. I bet his parents have told him to close his eyes when he pees and showers so that he could not see himself. It makes me wonder that these are the kids that grow up to be rapist and sex crazed maniacs.

Heres the article link, I posted the article below.

Click here to read the article

'Horrible' sight of naked man spurs boy's protest
    By KAY BLUNDELL - The Dominion Post | Saturday, 25 October 2008

Email a Friend | Printable View | Have Your Say
    MAARTEN HOLL/Dominion Post
    ANTI-NUDE: 10-year-old Kapiti Coast resident Michael Hayward has started a petition against nudity on the area's beaches.

Related Links
    Subscribe to Archivestuff
    Have your say

Advertisement
    AdvertisementA 10-year-old Kapiti Coast boy has launched a petition against nudity on local family beaches.

Kena Kena School pupil Michael Hayward presented his 144-signature petition to Kapiti Coast District Council's regulatory and management committee after a "horrible" sighting of a man sunbathing naked on Paraparaumu Beach.

The petition opposed a proposed council bylaw under which nudity would be allowed but if nudists' behaviour was deemed offensive it would be dealt with by the police.

Michael and his mother spotted the naked man near McLean Park children's playground this month.

"I was very upset when we saw the man with no clothes lying right where we had to walk past him. It was horrible, I felt embarrassed, I think other children would find it disturbing. It was not something kids should have to put up with."

Yesterday the council extended to November 3 the deadline for submissions on the bylaw. Spokesman Tony Cronin said most of the 200 received so far were saying, "We don't want our beaches naked" and the council was saying, "Neither do we, but we can't enforce that."

Mr Cronin said "every other Wellington local authority" had the same stance. "There is nothing to stop you being on the beach naked except that you may offend somebody, in which case the police may be called."

Michael said the council should designate nude areas, such as parts of Paekakariki and Peka Peka beaches where nudity had been popular for years. "Family beaches should stay family beaches."

His mother rang the police about the sunbather, who was advised by police to get dressed, and he left.

School principal Bruce McDonald praised Michael's achievement.

"He has done something important. It is a serious local issue."

Council chief executive Pat Dougherty stressed the proposed bylaw was no different from the existing one, which had worked "just fine".

"A guy took his clothes off on Paraparaumu Beach and the police moved him on."
    Last edited by Ken Palmer; 11-16-2008, 06:32 PM. Reason: typographical error

Comment

The textile addicts always use the kids to reinforce their position. "What will the CHILDREN think??" Oh, brother...

Stop the world, I want off.

Comment

This artical leads me to believe there is another "Stu" in the making.

Comment

I think the word were put into his mouth by his mother, we all know that children adopt their parents line of thinking, as a parent I was all to aware that what I said and how I behaved influenced my children.

Pete Knight

Comment

Ken

I guess it will be somewhat of a difficult battle if this particular beach allows nudity in certain areas. I don't know if it does or not.
            As I understand it, there have been two unofficial but accepted nude beaches there for many years.

If he was taught to fear the sight of a nude person, it really wouldn't surprise me at all. This is how a lot of people who were not raised as nudist or in a nudist environment would react in this situation unless I am wrong.
            You are right - except that i wouldn't use the term "fear", but rather "be repulsed by". It's certainly how we raised all our children.

All people are asking for is that nudists have their beaches and the rest should be left as strictly textile. That's more than fair.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu2630 View Post
              You are right - except that i wouldn't use the term "fear", but rather "be repulsed by". It's certainly how we raised all our children.
              Stu, I understand where you are coming from, and you are certainly entitled to your opinions, but isn't the term "be repulsed by" rather strong?

And, is it really healthy to teach your kids this attitude? Shouldn't they be allowed to draw their own conclusions?

Modesty is one thing, but to teach that simple nudity is "repulsive" seems wrong and distorted to me.

Comment

I agree to the fact that the kid was 'used'. Any time you use a kid in a political situation, just by mentioning 'the children', the council will react in force. Sad, but true, especially in this instance.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepNude View Post

Stop the world, I want off.
                  My sig at a forum I moderate.

"Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time."

Comment

I was very upset when we saw the man with no clothes lying right where we had to walk past him. It was horrible, I felt embarrassed, I think other children would find it disturbing. It was not something kids should have to put up with."

One, I wonder if he was upset at the naked man or mimicking his parents' reactions? Two, does he really understand what qualifies something as horrible? This seems to be his parents' wording. Three, he felt embarrassed because he was unsure how to react. This is how many textiles react upon seeing nudity. They imagine someone else seeing them naked and project those feelings back onto themselves. Four, normal children would not find the naked man lying in the sand disturbing. Interesting? curious? Yes. A reason to laugh? Absolutely. Disturbing? Definitely not!

Bob S.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob S. View Post

I was very upset when we saw the man with no clothes lying right where we had to walk past him. It was horrible, I felt embarrassed, I think other children would find it disturbing. It was not something kids should have to put up with."

Bob S.
                      Also note it was "we" all the time, he definitely was prompted by his parents, they used their child to gain greater attention than if they had made the complaint, the only abhorrent thing here is the parents use of a child to make a point publicly.

I've been on several beaches in New Zealand and never had a problem, the good thing is they don't shove us up the far end of the beach where no one wants to go, the simple rule is to find a quiet spot a strip off. You generally find that families all converge on the first bit of beach at the end of the trail from the car park, the nudists walk a little further and find a quiet spot, but anyone wanting to walk the shoreline has to walk past you, and having been there and done that I didn't meet with any complaints, it's accepted in New Zealand.

Pete Knight

Comment

HomeNudist

isn't the term "be repulsed by" rather strong?
                        I used it in the context "be disgusted by", which I don't think is an overstatement.

And, is it really healthy to teach your kids this attitude? Shouldn't they be allowed to draw their own conclusions?
                        We all teach our kids our own values. You teach your kids that nudity is natural and good, don't you? With our kids, we taught them that there is a place to be naked (i.e. the bathroom) and being naked anywhere else is, to us, something disgusting. That way they know what behaviour is accepted and what behaviour isn't. We also taught them that some people (i.e. nudists) don't share our views on this and that they were perfectly entitled to live their own lives in their own way in their own places.

As they get older, they will obviously make up their own minds. Having said that, our eldest two are now well into adulthood and they still share our views on this.

Stu

Comment

10 yr old protest

i just wonder....what does he say at school when kids shower after pt or something...he looks like a little brat,any way....I bet his folks put him up to it.just a tadd of the point here...when one walks on my local beach,its a common siight to see kids between the ages of 10 - 14 naked in a local place called Harmony Park...in the publick swimming area....Now I was wondering...why are there no objections to that...yet when its a an adult male...there is always a huge issue...what would be the reason?Something seems to be rather unballanced here in society....
                          Attached Files

Comment

bernard

what does he say at school when kids shower after pt or something
                            1. Most schools here in the UK do not force children to shower communally any more.

2. In our society, there is a world of difference between adult nudity and child nudity.

...when one walks on my local beach,its a common siight to see kids between the ages of 10 - 14 naked in a local place called Harmony Park...in the publick swimming area....
                            You don't see that here in the UK, thankfully.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by baregreg View Post
                              My sig at a forum I moderate.

"Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time."

Right on, my brother!!

Comment

Working...
                              X