The Doctors TV show: family showers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Doctors TV show: family showers

On today's episode of The Doctors (a show with four doctors who discuss various medical topics), they had a segment about when parents should stop being naked in front of their children.

I didn't get a chance to record it or watch it, but they have a place on the website which gives their synopsis:

Nudity in front of Your Children?
    Kelly from Tyler, Texas writes,

Dear Doctors,

Until my daughters were about 5 years old, we’d shower and bathe together regularly. Now, my son is currently 4 and still showers with me, but I can’t help but worry that this is somehow inappropriate. At what age should I stop bathing and/or being nude in front of my children?

"Just the fact that Mom is starting to wonder, it’s time," Dr. Jim says. "Age 2 and 3, no big deal. I think that’s when we stopped with our kids. In America, this is a very modest society. Most people are private with their privates. If your child is very comfortable having people naked around them, when they go to school, they’ll kind of think it’s fine to get naked and explore. That child is going to get in trouble."

Again, we have media doctors who are ignorant about this topic. Do they actually think children won't be able to understand good and not so good times to get naked? It is only the rare nudist kids who strip at schools--and usually, they are the two through four-year-old children who are immodest naturally.

Bob S.

Re: The Doctors TV show: family showers

:disappointed: yes, I watched that show today and I was equally suprised at what was said about kids getting naked at school.shocked If parents are nudists or just tolerate nudity by their kids at home, they should early on let the children know that there are right and wrong places to get naked. It is just a matter of parents being responsible for teaching their children.

Comment

Never watched the show. The world would be a better place if more people like them kept their opinions to themselves.

Comment

I'm taking a different angle here.

While the veracity of the Doctor's claim may be disputable, with some old fashioned parenting, a mother or father could ENSURE that the child behaves appropriately in school.

I was listening to Michael Savage last night and he had a segment about punishment in society and how far it has changed in the past 40 years or so. It had nothing to do with nudity, but the trend still fits. Earlier in the last century, parents and children had a mutual understanding of what violation of family rules meant. Good, bad, or indifferent, many students knew the consequences of misbehaving in school were far greater at home than in any principal's office.

Sadly, this desire of parents to set up clear and firm expectations has eroded for the most part.

The doctor has completely missed the boat on this one. He's under the impression that this parent must conform to some finite answer to a question. This impression is probably based on his personal experiences with children who lack the above structure and discipline system.

I think the alternative view should be to clearly explain to your son or daughter the times during which nudity is acceptable in the family and in the structure of a 3 to 5 year old's society. Then the child must understand that breaking mom and dad's rule regarding ANYTHING comes with severe consequences.

Comment

Bring back the woodshed?

Comment

I think the world would be a better place if we would all stop turning to "hired spoke-faces" on TV shows for advice. Can you imagine how great the world could be if all of us could get back to a place where common sense ruled our lives? Each person is an individual which means there is not one answer for all. If a family is comfortable being naked around one another, wonderful. If one or all members are not comfortable, the answer is clear.

Comment

The below quote is from: JIM TRAGESER - Staff Writer, North County Times
              March 24, 2005. A little off track but I think it applies here.

"There is a substantial body of research that suggests children raised in clothing-optional environments have healthier attitudes toward their self-image and sex than those raised in more prudish ones. That such children delay sexual activity longer, and are less likely to engage in promiscuous behavior. That they're less likely to develop anorexia or bulimia.

There are numerous studies that show the incidence of sexual crime is significantly lower in clothing-optional environments than Western society at large. Whether we're talking "primitive" societies of the Third World where folks have yet to catch on to our prudishness, or free-wheeling back-to-nature hippie communes, clothing-optional cultures have created a healthier appreciation of the human body, seeing it as beautiful in ways beyond sex.

Let's be honest here ---- look at the recent news reports of molestations in our community. Where have they occurred? Invariably in places where the children and adults were both fully clothed at the time the molestations began ---- in our schools and churches, not exactly bastions of public nudity. It would seem that our children may, in fact, be safer at a nudist colony than at Bible school."

The last thing a child, raised in a nudist home would do, is go to school and "think it's fine to get naked and explore" or would want to.
              Last edited by EZ Nude; 04-04-2009, 11:17 AM.

Comment

nakedstudent: "While the veracity of the Doctor's claim may be disputable, with some old fashioned parenting, a mother or father could ENSURE that the child behaves appropriately in school."

Believe me, I know what you are talking about. I work with children and can tell how their home life/discipline is at home just by watching how they interact with the other children and the teachers.

Ultimately, however, the supervision at the school is what will determine what the children get away with while there. I remember in these forums a father (I can't remember who it was) who said that his preschool daughter decided to strip and get some of her classmates to also strip off their clothes. The problem--not the child's actions but the absence of the teacher. Apparently, she had left the room for a minute or two.

It happened at a day care where I worked as well. The two-year-old class was outside and a young girl found a hidden spot on the playground inside of a play structure where she took her clothes off. That was supervisory neglect on the teachers for not being able to see inside of the tunnel.

Why did the Doctors not take them to task for being out at a restaurant? The children could easily strip there, too, but again, the only ones who will be apt to strip are the ones who are least modest, and those kids are the preschool set who naturally have no modesty. Very few people would complain about the nudity, but would probably react to the parents who can't or won't control their children.

Bob S.

Comment

Without actually having seen this episode (I rarely see the show as I am at work) I would guess this answer came from the female Doctor. She's a 'child expert' and complete idiot to boot!

Comment

We have in our family experience that entire family have weekly sauna bath all together with our four children forever without any problems. The doctor tried to look clever in the eyes of the tv-looking people but it was just the opposite. We have experience what the doctor do not have.

Comment

I agree that parenting seems to have taken a back seat. There is a way to be firm and set boundaries while being loving and without abuse. I don't recall ever being spanked and I do remember having a lot of respect for my parents, not out of fear, but out of love. Our parents spoke at our level, rarely yelled at us as truly small tykes (we did exasperate as we approached ten and by then it was fair game to be yelled at and punished for it). For us, punishment for five minutes was like a day at Guantanamo and it usually did the trick. Sit on your floor and do nothing was the rule - no communicating, no reading, no playing, no nothing. 300 seconds feels like an eternity!

I don't believe we need kids to fear their parents. We need kids to have consequences from a young age, but also we need parents to know how to communicate right from wrong.

When I taught, I enforced rules that governed earning a fair grade, while other teachers and the admin cared more about if kids wore a hat. I led a hat protest as a student, because it's the dumbest rule around, and so I didn't go apoplectic if someone wore a hat. Where did this get me? Well, luckily in one instance I was supported by my dept. head and guidance counselor when I caught a girl cheating on a test and notified her publicly that she had failed. Her parents a) said because she said she hadn't cheated, she didn't, and b) said because I took away her self-esteem, I should be in trouble. They lost on both counts. Another student suffered poor grades when I taught gym and she never changed for class or participated. She complained to a vice principal who had never actually taught in a real classroom and who wasn't a parent. She was told that I adhered too much to the rules. I said, change the rules then.

So, it's all about common sense. We don't need to return to when hitting and beating were okay reprimands, because it just perpetuates violence. Simply communicating properly would do the trick as it did for me and has done for kids.

Keep in mind though, a lot of physiology goes into risk-reward behaviors for kids and some things will likely be tough to govern no matter how hard we try.

Comment

Originally posted by shaneone View Post
                        Without actually having seen this episode (I rarely see the show as I am at work) I would guess this answer came from the female Doctor. She's a 'child expert' and complete idiot to boot!
                        No it came from Dr. Jim Sears the Pediatrician. You are thinking of Dr. Lisa Masterson the OB/GYN. She is the shows "VAGINA expert"

Comment

I was thinking about the shower issue yesterday (though I did not see this show). I wondered about age limits and the like. I thought if I have a 4, 5, 6, 7 year old and we were up in the morning and I had to take a shower why wouldn't I just take the child in as well so that I can watch the child whilst in the shower. This accomplishes a lot of things like not leaving the child alone, both of us getting clean, monitoring the child inside the shower. In actuality there really is not an age limit. If the family has not treated nudity as a disease it doesn't matter the age of the child or the adult or the siblings. Who cares. So you're naked. As the parent you've seen the child naked countless times anyway and I'm sure the child has seen you naked. People just need to be able to freak out about something and this is easy. I wish they would freak out about schoolwork or community service instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                            I was thinking about the shower issue yesterday (though I did not see this show). I wondered about age limits and the like. I thought if I have a 4, 5, 6, 7 year old and we were up in the morning and I had to take a shower why wouldn't I just take the child in as well so that I can watch the child whilst in the shower. This accomplishes a lot of things like not leaving the child alone, both of us getting clean, monitoring the child inside the shower. In actuality there really is not an age limit. If the family has not treated nudity as a disease it doesn't matter the age of the child or the adult or the siblings. Who cares. So you're naked. As the parent you've seen the child naked countless times anyway and I'm sure the child has seen you naked. People just need to be able to freak out about something and this is easy. I wish they would freak out about schoolwork or community service instead.
                            BULLSEYE!!! You have hit it dead center. If the family spends time together nude, there is NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. The kids themselves will let the parents know when they want to take showers alone.

It also depends on the size of the shower. If you only have a tub/shower it will get crowded by the time you get an adult and a 7 or 8 y/o kid in there together. But at a public shower such as at the swimming pool, there should be no problem with parents and ALL THE KIDS (same gender) taking shower at same time. The older kids can help the younger kids with applying shampoo, scrubbing backs. (wish I had someone to scrub my back:disappointed

Comment

Originally posted by countryguync View Post
                              If you only have a tub/shower it will get crowded by the time you get an adult and a 7 or 8 y/o kid in there together. But at a public shower such as at the swimming pool, there should be no problem with parents and ALL THE KIDS (same gender) taking shower at same time.
                              Is the gender of the kids important?

Comment

Working...
                              X