Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tramatized?" I doubt it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62N1T020100324

She says she was traumatized. Outraged and angry I can believe, traumatized I can't

Quote:

LONDON (Reuters Life!) - A security worker at London's Heathrow Airport has received a police warning and faces disciplinary action over claims he ogled a female colleague using a full-body scanner, officials said on Wednesday.

Lifestyle

The 25-year-old worker made lewd comments after his colleague Jo Margetson, 29, mistakenly strayed into the scanner, which can see through clothes to produce an image of the body, the Sun newspaper reported.

The case is believed to be the first of its kind since the full-body scanners were rushed into service at a number of British airports in the wake of an attempt by a suspected Muslim extremist to blow up a plane bound for Detroit on December 25.

They are now being rolled out at airports across the world.

Details of the incident at Heathrow's Terminal 5 on March 10 emerged on the day lawmakers said concerns that the scanners were intrusive had been overblown.

Margetson told the Sun she had been "traumatized" by what had happened and had informed police and her bosses at the airport's operator BAA.

"We treat any allegations of inappropriate behavior or misuse of security equipment very seriously and these claims are being investigated thoroughly," said a spokeswoman for BAA.

"If found to be substantiated, we will take appropriate action."

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said officers had been informed of the allegation and "a first instance harassment warning has been issued to a 25-year-old man."

Opponents of scanners have argued since their introduction that they risked breaching individuals' rights to privacy. Britain's Equality and Human Rights Commission has already said they might be breaking discrimination and privacy laws.

"For every official caught ogling like this, there are plenty more eyeing up law-abiding travelers," Alex Deane, director of the Big Brother Watch campaign group, told the Sun.

"These expensive machines are totally disproportionate."

The government says staff using the machines are properly supervised and would not be able to see the person being scanned. All images are deleted.

Britain's parliamentary Home Affairs Committee said fears about the scanners were misplaced and they should be introduced at a faster pace to deal with the threat of terrorism.

"The Committee is satisfied that the privacy concerns that have been expressed in relation to these devices are overstated and ... should not prevent the deployment of scanners," it said in a report.

Re: "Tramatized?" I doubt it.

Yes I feel this is an abuse of the English language. She may have been embaressed or annoyed but unless she has some underlying mental condition she wasn't tramatized.

Comment

The male should just kept is trap shut. A lesson to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
        The male should just kept is trap shut. A lesson to all.
        Yes, right on man! I cannot stand that pesky 1st admendment either.

Comment

WTF???? If these scanners were in place during the "70s there would not be planes getting hijacked or blownup in transsit. Hollywood came up with body scanners in the movie "Total Recall".

Comment

Harassement is traumatizing

Originally posted by NudeAl View Post
            Yes I feel this is an abuse of the English language. She may have been embaressed or annoyed but unless she has some underlying mental condition she wasn't tramatized.
            I am going to have to disagree strongly here. We are not just talking about a woman accidentally being seen "naked." This is a case of sexual harassment by here male colleague(s), and harassment can definitely be traumatizing. If he had simply gone up to her and politely told here that she had accidentally wandered into the scanner, then it would have been embarrassing but not worthy of investigation.

I think the mistake here is confusing the usefulness (or not) of the scanner with the actions of the man. The scanner did not make him a jerk, he was one already, this just gave him an opportunity. Had the scanner not been there he no doubt would have found another opportunity to harass his colleague.

-chris

Comment

Re: Harassement is traumatizing

Originally posted by nudetech View Post
              I am going to have to disagree strongly here. We are not just talking about a woman accidentally being seen "naked." This is a case of sexual harassment by here male colleague(s), and harassment can definitely be traumatizing. If he had simply gone up to her and politely told here that she had accidentally wandered into the scanner, then it would have been embarrassing but not worthy of investigation.

-chris
              The other side is maybe she is overly sensitive and would have done the same no matter how polite the man was. The story does not say what the man said for all we know all he said was "looking good" paying her a complement. She was embarassed over the situation and may have over-reacted.

If society were less fearful of nudity this would not be a problem at all.

Comment

Do you know how futile these airport screenings are?

OK, they DO protect the airplanes, but not people. In fact, they make it a lot easier for potential terrorists to kill a large number of defenseless people.

It takes a lot of planning, money, training, to take over an airplane, or even to just take one down by blowing up your tighty whiteys...

But airport security makes it simple for any half wit suicide bomber to just walk up to a crowded security check in, with multiple lines of people waiting in the hundreds in a relatively small area. One dynamite vest could easily take out the equivalent of several planeloads of people.

If the airport screening is for my protection ... how are they going to protect me while waiting to go through the screening?

Comment

Working...
                X