The Naked Rambler - Steve Gough in Prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Naked Rambler - Steve Gough in Prison

Steve Gough aka The Naked Rambler is walking the length of Britain - naked. From Land's End to John o' Groats.

His walk commenced in mid June 2005, currently he is in Prison in Scotland.

He is the subject of human right's abuse:
    - not allowed showers
    - not allowed exercise
    - not allowed to receive or make phone calls
    - not allowed to contact a Lawyer
    - when released from Prison he is rearrested as he walks throught the Prison gates

He was the subject of a complaint from a couple with young children who saw Steve, and his female companion Mel, crossing a bridge. They thought their young son MAY have been alarmed to see naked people.

To read the full story, please visit the support site for The Naked Walk at:

http://nakedwalk.org

Bushnud Queensland Australia
    http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/seqldnudists
    a Bare Bushwalkers group - only apply if you live in Australia

Comments/Views

It is not at all odd that that people in England are speaking up for Steve Gough and Melanie. They both live in Bournemouth and walked all the way from Land's End to the Scottish Border with only two skirmishes with the law. As with his last walk it is only the Scots who seem to over-react. Why is that I wonder when all kinds of atrocious crimes take place in Scotland that no one seems to bat an eyelid about ?
    Adrian Powell, South Devon

Steve & Melanie are the bravest Naturists/Nudists in the land, not for them hiding behind secret club locations and using First Names Only Here Full frontal, broad daylight, on the open road and sod the wowsers, Pity the mainstream nudist movements did not have the 'balls' of these two !
    John Remington-Gurney, South Hedland, Western Australia

It's rather odd that those speaking up for Mr Gough are not in Scotland, and the only person who IS in Scotland is critical of what he's doing. Brutus, Sheffield

The Scottish nation gained respect throughout history as a tough, fearless race. It is therefore surprising to find that the sight of harmless, naked ramblers now induces shock and fear. Mr. Lister and others who have complained, where is the spirit of your ancestors now ? Steve Jolliffe, Hampshire

I'd be furious if I was walking along the street saw some guy coming towards me starkers, This guy should be put away and the key thrown away. Kathryn, Monifieth

Firstly the charge of conducting themselves in a disorderly manner does not constitute a breach of the peace and what is a disorderly manner anyway ? Likely to cause a traffic hazard by causing drivers to be distracted any number of things can distract drivers whether they be scantily clad sweet young things, advertisement hoardings, low flying aircraft, accidents etc etc and yet drivers manage to deal with these. From the rear it is not possible to see whether Steve and Mel are naked - or almost naked because of their backpacks and from the front does a glimpse of breasts and private parts cause such a distraction when such things are regularly seen in the papers, magazines, films and on TV. Isn't this just one big over reaction. Are the people that report Steve and Mel to the Police so shocked by the human body, our wonderful bodies ? Daren't they look at themselves naked ? If parents brought their children up to be comfortable with their naked bodies the childrens and parents rather than condition them into wearing clothes because society considers the naked human body to be indecent and shameful then perhaps there would be less sexually and bodily repressed adults in society who sometimes end up as flashers, rapists and paedophiles. It also seems strange that this is in a country where the national costume for men (and women) is a plaid skirt worn with no knickers shock, horror!
    Adrian Powell, South Devon

Steve Gough should be left alone to finish his walk, he's not doing any harm to anyone. John Gardner, Wirral

What a complete waste of police time & resources. They have gone through most of England with little problem. This constant harrassment in Scotland gives me the impression that Scots are intolerant and very prudish or is that just a minority. Just let them get on with the walk no harm is being done, they are not threatening anyone and committing no sexual offence. Martin, Telford, Shropshire

I think what Mr Gough is doing is pretty objectionable. He seems to care nothing for people's sensibilities or for their wishes to protect their children from seeing adult nudity. This chap has had plenty of chances to abandon this offensive venture, yet he defies the courts and persists. Whilst I do not wish to see him incarcerated for a long stretch, he has no-one to blame but himself. Brutus, Sheffield

What a waste of time and money. Don't the police in the UK have real criminals to chase rather than 2 harmless individuals who may be a little eccentric. They aren't hurting anyone and they may be pointing out the beauty in the human body and getting good exercise in the process. Maybe people are just jealous because they are healthier than the rest of us. Michael Book, Suffield CT USA

Have followd the Naked Rambler from the start of the naked walk. Steve Gough has an International following. It would be more convenient to everyone if the Police just allowed Steve and Mel to complete this naked walk, then they would go away and not be a further public nuisance. David Cheetham, Toowoomba Queensland Australia

Comment

I wish theyd just give this poor guy a break and let him complete his task and just leave him alone. Dont the police got more important things to do, like catch some real criminals or go visit the donut shop or something constructive like that.

Comment

Personally I am not a big fan of Steven Gough, as I think some of his actions give naturists a bad name, but in saying that I think if they had let him get on with what he was doing the walk would have been done and dusted now and he would be back home.

I agree the police up in Scotland or anywhere for that matter should have better things to do with their times like arreesting real criminals.

Cant see that he is not been allowed to do all those things that has been stated mind.

Comment

Personally I am not a big fan of Steven Gough, as I think some of his actions give naturists a bad name

How?

Comment

Personally I am not a big fan of Steven Gough, as I think some of his actions give naturists a bad name
            I think he has done more than most nudists are willing to do. We give ourselves a bad name by doing nothing and allowing the world to continue to see us in a bad light. Hiding in our nudist resorts does nothing to change how the world sees us. We need to get out there and go nude and just make the world learn to deal with it.

Comment

Oh boy, here we go again.

I personally don't care what the gentleman does, but we, nudists, shouldn't latch on him as our 'mascot'. What he does is his preference. In his mind, he is trying to expand the legalities of nudity, but each time he tries, he continues to get into trouble.

There are other ways to attempt to achieve legal nudity, but I disagree with his antics.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by nudeM:

I personally don't care what the gentleman does, but we, nudists, shouldn't latch on him as our 'mascot'. What he does is his preference. In his mind, he is trying to expand the legalities of nudity, but each time he tries, he continues to get into trouble.

There are other ways to attempt to achieve legal nudity, but I disagree with his antics.

Just my opinion.
                The point is - that he carries a high-set flag on his Rucksack, it reads:

"The Freedom To Be Yourself"

Steve is just being free ! Nothing to do with any nudist movement ! Doing his own 'thing'. He is doing the walk for him .

Comment

I know youre lovin it too.

We need someone as our mascot. This guy comes as close as they have so far. Sometimes if you want something legalized bad enough you gotta get in trouble a few times. Thats how alot of people throughout history got civil rights, they challenged the system.

How? by hiding in your nudist resorts and letting things stay the way they are? That doesnt change anything. I really dont think nudists want people to have the right to go naked in public because theyre too worried about "imposing" our nudity on people. Sometimes you gotta impose things on people even if it offends them a little bit. Nobody has the right NOT to be offended. A little offense never hurts anyone. Most of the stuff those so called righteous textiles do out there these days offends me but me being offended sure isnt gonna change anything. If that stuff is ok then nudity must be too.

Comment

The guy & his partner seem to have walked the length of England without much hassle however from what i have read the problems started to occur in Scotland. (thats the Scots for you!)
                    With the temperature now dropping i cannot see them finishing the course, i note also that the guy is ex-Royal Marine (tough b*******) so i'm sure in his mind he will want to reach his goal and declare mission accomplished.

I'm not a fan of this sort of confrontation with the authorities as i feel this serves no purpose whatsoever, full nudity everywhere and anywhere in society NO THANKS!! i dont wish to see people naked at the bacon counter at my local supermarket.
                    Naturism/Nudism to me is a leisure activity, what is needed is more space provided on beaches,parks etc to co-exist with textiles.

I hope the Naked Rambler will be out of jail for Christmas at least.

Comment

I admire his determination but I think he may have a screw or two that need tightening.

His reasons are his own for doing this but by virtue of his being nude he will be seen as someone from the nudist movement trying to advance our ideals. This is going to be the case no matter what we say or do. I know some nudist organizations have sort of tried to distance themselves from his actions but it is doubtful this will make much of an impression on the minds of the general public. So in the minds of the public at large he is a representative of nudism an ambassador even. Like him or not that is how most of those who will see him see it. The old phrase if you can't beat'em join'em comes to mind.

I think we might as well embrace his actions and get as much free publicity out of the matter as possible. We really aren't helping ourselves by saying, oh no he's not one of us he's a nut. Everyone who hears that is going yeah, RIGHT! So I say, embrace him, but put our spin on it. Something like, well some of our members take things a little more seriously than others or yes we believe he has a point but we are more realistic in our expectations etc.

What's that other old saying any publicity is good publicity? Maybe not entirely true but it keeps the public thinking about us.

Comment

I think the whole issue here is his treatment in prison.Whether you agree with what he is doing or not,does he deserve to be treated like that.
                        Paedophiles,rapists and murderers get a better deal in prison than this guy is getting,and he has done nothing more than walking in man's natural state.
                        If you really look at it,what is happenning to him now,highlights the whole point of his argument and his trek.
                        Murder someone and get the full protection of the law,go nude and get treated like a dog.
                        Something very wrong there.
                        All strength to you Steve.Kia Kaha

Naturally Kiwi

Comment

I consider Nude Al has the right of the matter,make the most of what good publicity we can from Steve's plight,lets all hope some good old commonsense will be applied and a speedy release will happen. I may be a new name but I'mold to life.Bill.

Comment

Just heard from a contact in Devon that Steve was sentanced to three months in Prison for contempt of Court.

Comment

Good point Nude Al. Like your logic

Comment

Working...
                              X