Urgent - Geelong Advertiser (Australia) Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent - Geelong Advertiser (Australia) Poll

We are currently engaged in a battle to save 3 of the 4 legal free beaches in Victoria, Australia.

A newspaper (Geelong Advertiser) circulating in the area of the beach that appears to be the "Test Case" is running a public poll through their website to gauge public attitudes.

Your votes would be appreciated:

Should Nude Beaches be Banned?

Yes or No

To enter your vote, go to:

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/

Thanks,

Rob

For details about Free Beaches in Victoria, Australia and information about our battle, see the site:

www.fbanavic.org

We are currently engaged in a battle to save 3 of the 4 legal free beaches in Victoria, Australia.

A newspaper (Geelong Advertiser) circulating in the area of the beach that appears to be the "Test Case" is running a public poll through their website to gauge public attitudes.

Your votes would be appreciated:

Should Nude Beaches be Banned?

Yes or No

To enter your vote, go to:

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/

Thanks,

Rob

For details about Free Beaches in Victoria, Australia and information about our battle, see the site:

www.fbanavic.org

Comment

I sent my vote off. It looks like the tally is 90% in favor of keeping the nude beaches. It's nice to see that people have their priorities in order.

Cheers.

Comment

quote:
        the tally is 90% in favor
        I'm skeptical of on-line polls like this. Do they effective prevent multiple votes from a single respondent?

You could try it and see... but in either case, are they really interested in the votes of people half a world away?

Comment

I've voted too. Good luck with the campaign!

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by missouriboy:
            I'm skeptical of on-line polls like this. Do they effective prevent multiple votes from a single respondent?

You could try it and see... but in either case, are they really interested in the votes of people half a world away?
            The voting process puts a cookie or similar on your computer, so it won't let you vote a second time unless you find and delete the cookie first. As for being half a world away, the voting process doesn't ask for your location.

Comment

Okay, so I went and voted NO. Then I tried it again and got
              quote:
              Sorry, you or someone on your machine has already voted on this poll.
              Very good! But I still doubt they expect non-local participation.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by missouriboy:
                But I still doubt they expect non-local participation.
                I'm sure they don't, but they probably won't bother to find out where the votes come from. However, if 100 members of this forum were to add their votes, it could be a major boost for Rob's campaign. There's only been 140 votes so far - another 100 or so would really help.

Comment

Thanks to all those who have voted so far.

One of our arguments put to the local Shire (County) Council is that Naturism is a world-wide, credible movement, and at the very least, they should consider the tourism aspects in an area that markets itself as the Surf Capital of Australia.

( For any of you into the Surf Culture, this is the home of Bells Beach, and where the "Rip Curl" surf brand began )

Therefore, even if they ever look to see where the votes come from, international support is not likely to hurt our case.

(I also believe that on-line polls lack any statistical credibility, but the media have never let that have an impact on their use of this method to determine "public opinion" )

Comment

Now up to 243 votes, and the "No" percentage is creeping up even higher. Keep them coming - vote here now!

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by tiger79:
                      The voting process puts a cookie or similar on your computer, so it won't let you vote a second time unless you find and delete the cookie first. As for being half a world away, the voting process doesn't ask for your location.

Sorry to be a geek but they are not using cookies to prevent duplicate votes. I tried my second vote on a different PC - same home network - and was recognised.

From this we can infer...

• They are preventing duplicate votes by logging IP addresses
                      • Which means only one vote per household
                      • And they can derive information re. location of voters[/list]

I voted No

Comment

Proving that they're are adept investigative journalists, the Geelong Advertiser has managed to find my message on this site encouraging the world-wide Naturist community to vote in their poll.

Intially they reported it on-line thus:

Exposed! Nude poll rort

By the time the exact same story appeared in today's print edition, it was headed:
                        Nudists rally to keep beach

Which is a much better description!!!!

I checked the poll a little while ago - just short of 500 votes, with 92% opposed to banning nude beaches.

I am a little concerned about the poll accuracy though, since the percentages have not changed at all in the last couple of hundred votes!

Thanks for your contributions - a positive is that with the newspaper mentioning this site, hopefully we will get some more people interested in trying our wonderful lifestyle!!

Comment

Mr Humphrey says,
                          quote:
                          Cr Humphrey said last year the beach was used as a gay beat, attracting perverts and flashers.

How about they arrest the perverts and flashers, rather than deny the law abiding citizens the ability to enjoy their freedom.

If a band of perverts and flashers moved into the sports arena would you ban football?

Protect the beach as you would any other part of your city. Don't just shut it down.

Steve

Comment

I just voted no. Looks as though the nude beaches will stay. I sure hope so.

Comment

Exposed! Nude poll rort

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...1110_news.html

Michaela Farrington

29Jan07

Nude sunbathers at Torquay's Point Impossible.
                              AN international nudist chat-room has urged its members to vote in support of nude beaches in a Geelong Advertiser online poll.

Hundreds of votes have flooded into the poll since a Bendigo member of the chatroom clothesfreeforums.com, posted the call to action on the website on Australia Day.

``We are currently engaged in a battle to save three of the four legal free beaches in Victoria, Australia,'' the member, Rob, wrote.

Naturists from as far away as Pennsylvania in the United States as well Surrey in the United Kingdom pledged to vote in the Geelong Advertiser poll, which asks: should nude beaches be banned?

The poll had received 383 votes at midday today, and 92 per cent of the votes were against nude beach bans.

The debate was sparked late last year when Surf Coast Shire councillor Ron Humphrey called for nude bathing to be banned at Torquay's Point Impossible.

Cr Humphrey said last year the beach was used as a gay beat, attracting perverts and flashers.

But Free Beaches Australia president Anita Grigg said the shire needed to promote Point Impossible as a tourist destination across Australia and internationally rather than shut it down.

See the poll at www.geelongadvertiser.com.au

Comment

Working...
                              X