Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nudists fighting against cops and neighbors for public space

HI-

My local paper ran this story about nudists in the Castro (usually a really accepting neighborhood) who want to have a public clothing-optional space. The cops and neighbors are giving them a hard time about it:

http://www.sfweekly.com/2010-12-01/n...san-francisco/

I also like that they didn't censor the photos/videos.

Re: Nudists fighting against cops and neighbors for public space

Thanks for posting. This is the sort of thing that needs to happen in order for the general public to become desensitized to nudity. The disconcerting thing is that some of these guys were getting a sexual thrill out of it when they first started going nude in public. Perhaps there is some hope in the fact that the sexual thrill for them is gone, or at least substantially diminished.

Comment

This would be an interesting opportunity for a group of nudists/naturists to go there as a group. I have been nude in the streets of SF during Bare to Breakers and it was a surreal experience. I think I wouldn't have had the courage to do it if I had not been part of group all doing the same thing. Might be an interesting thing so see some of the CFF group do something from there.

Comment

This isn't going to pass in SF. The castro is an area that was once a dump and then taken over by gay men. Gay men claimed it as their own and made it into something that many called home and a "safe haven". Castro was a place gay men can come together and we all could be ourselves without any fear of criticism, prejudice, or violence. Now, Castro is slowly becoming less gay. More and more straight people and lesbians are moving in. They also bring their children. This completely changes the rules, customs and values of the area. Castro has never been and is NOT a place for families or children. It is pretty "adult" as many who live in SF have an "anything goes" policy about living one's life. I think it will take a decade before Castro becomes completely straight and is just another urban city like all other urban cities. 3yrs ago I was looking to move to SF and my friends who live there all told me it was a bad decision. I was told that the city is changing into something else and is not what it used to be. Today, I keep hearing the same thing, "SF is changing, it is becoming very straight and a lot of kids". Gays are now starting to move out of the area and into other cities. Already city leaders in SF are talking about the declining gay population and what they can do to stop it.

This seems to be a re-occuring theme for many gay hoods. Gays redevelop an area that no one would dared go to b/c of violence. We take over, spruce up the neighborhood, it becomes a gay space, and years later the straight people move in and we then move out. It is happening in SF, happened in South End Boston, it is happening in my old NYC neighborhood of Chelsea, and it happened in So. Beach Miami.

This is why I think that sooner or later, the open nudity in SF is going to stop because straight families will want to exert their values and they will soon press for the nudity or anything "adult" to come to an end. They want to change SF so it can be a place to raise their kids. I say why do we have to change what has always been accepted practice. If you want a place to raise your kids, go somewhere else. There are many other places to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Croydon View Post
          This isn't going to pass in SF. The castro is an area that was once a dump and then taken over by gay men. Gay men claimed it as their own and made it into something that many called home and a "safe haven". Castro was a place gay men can come together and we all could be ourselves without any fear of criticism, prejudice, or violence. Now, Castro is slowly becoming less gay. More and more straight people and lesbians are moving in. They also bring their children. This completely changes the rules, customs and values of the area. Castro has never been and is NOT a place for families or children. It is pretty "adult" as many who live in SF have an "anything goes" policy about living one's life. I think it will take a decade before Castro becomes completely straight and is just another urban city like all other urban cities. 3yrs ago I was looking to move to SF and my friends who live there all told me it was a bad decision. I was told that the city is changing into something else and is not what it used to be. Today, I keep hearing the same thing, "SF is changing, it is becoming very straight and a lot of kids". Gays are now starting to move out of the area and into other cities. Already city leaders in SF are talking about the declining gay population and what they can do to stop it.

This seems to be a re-occuring theme for many gay hoods. Gays redevelop an area that no one would dared go to b/c of violence. We take over, spruce up the neighborhood, it becomes a gay space, and years later the straight people move in and we then move out. It is happening in SF, happened in South End Boston, it is happening in my old NYC neighborhood of Chelsea, and it happened in So. Beach Miami.

This is why I think that sooner or later, the open nudity in SF is going to stop because straight families will want to exert their values and they will soon press for the nudity or anything "adult" to come to an end. They want to change SF so it can be a place to raise their kids. I say why do we have to change what has always been accepted practice. If you want a place to raise your kids, go somewhere else. There are many other places to choose from.
          This is an interesting post to me. It almost says that when gay men get together in a community, there will be open sex. It continues by saying "values" come back when straight people and gay women move in. It further almost implies that gay men don't like values so they move away.

My impression of gay men are that they are just like straight men and women. Some will take on the persona of the man and others of the woman. All other aspects of the relationship and of their lives were identical to straights. This post seems to imply that gay men are soley out for sex...in the open..., and they have no values. Not a very good image.

Comment

Originally posted by Kouak View Post
            This is an interesting post to me. It almost says that when gay men get together in a community, there will be open sex. It continues by saying "values" come back when straight people and gay women move in. It further almost implies that gay men don't like values so they move away.

My impression of gay men are that they are just like straight men and women. Some will take on the persona of the man and others of the woman. All other aspects of the relationship and of their lives were identical to straights. This post seems to imply that gay men are soley out for sex...in the open..., and they have no values. Not a very good image.
            Actually quite the opposite of what I am saying. Like any group, gay men have their own social norms, culture, values, and beliefs. Values are subjective and each group/culture have their own. My point is that gays have built a lifestyle and culture in SF. SF is an anything goes city and the quirkier and out of the norm you are, the more you fit in. It is a city that thrives on diversity and being outside of the box. People in SF are open to many things: nudity, sex, sexuality, art...in other words, things that the general public would find weird, SF welcomes it. That being said, when those outside of that norm begin to have a piece of the pie, they then want to change things to suit their beliefs and their own values.

In the case of nudity in SF, it is quite acceptable. When you then have families and straight people moving in, they will want to start to make changes. TRUST ME, sooner or later, some straight couple is going to complain to city officials that the city isn't good for their families and against their own values.

No where in my previous statement did I discuss sex. I simply stated that gays, like any minority group, thrive on having a community and haven of their owns to do whatever they wish to do. When it then becomes mainstream, we lose out on that.

Comment

Actually quite the opposite of what I am saying. Like any group, gay men have their own social norms, culture, values, and beliefs. Values are subjective and each group/culture have their own. My point is that gays have built a lifestyle and culture in SF. SF is an anything goes city and the quirkier and out of the norm you are, the more you fit in. It is a city that thrives on diversity and being outside of the box. People in SF are open to many things: nudity, sex, sexuality, art...in other words, things that the general public would find weird, SF welcomes it. That being said, when those outside of that norm begin to have a piece of the pie, they then want to change things to suit their beliefs and their own values.

In the case of nudity in SF, it is quite acceptable. When you then have families and straight people moving in, they will want to start to make changes. TRUST ME, sooner or later, some straight couple is going to complain to city officials that the city isn't good for their families and against their own values.

No where in my previous statement did I discuss sex. I simply stated that gays, like any minority group, thrive on having a community and haven of their owns to do whatever they wish to do. When it then becomes mainstream, we lose out on that.
              I apologize if I mistook this quote of yours:

Castro has never been and is NOT a place for families or children. It is pretty "adult" as many who live in SF have an "anything goes" policy about living one's life.
              When you said the area is not for families or children becaust it is "pretty 'adult'," I assumed "adult" was your code word for sex. Nudism is not an "adult" behavior. Dressing or behaving outside the norm is not "adult." Neither sexuality nor art are "adult." What is "adult" is sex. You can understand my confusion.

Comment

Working...
              X