Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Murals of bare-breasted natives in the British Columbia Legislature to come down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murals of bare-breasted natives in the British Columbia Legislature to come down.

ROBERT MATAS
    From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
    April 24, 2007 at 11:46 PM EDT

Murals in the rotunda of the British Columbia Legislature depicting native women as bare breasted and native men as subservient will be taken down more than 70 years after they were painted.

'We want this place to be inclusive,' B.C. Premier says as government adopts motion to remove art deemed offensive to aboriginals.

Link to: Globe & Mail Article "70 year old bare-breasted Murals to come down from BC Legislature.

I live in BC and this has been discussed on the radio quite a bit for the last couple of days. It is my understanding that this is not a nudity issue at all. It is about pictures that are not historically accurate. As the article in The Globe says
    Aboriginal leaders have being pressing to have the murals removed for decades, calling them offensive, demeaning and historically inaccurate. They have said that aboriginal women did not go topless in front of the European settlers. They also objected to the subservient manner of the chief before the judge.
    The leaders of this province are trying to say that they want to have a new and more productive relationship with Aboriginal communities in the province and perhaps this is one step. I don't know enough to comment about how the pictures factor into this discussion. I do not think mere nudity is the issue.

Comment

Well, if the picture is historically inaccurate that perhaps it should come down. I'm not certain from the account that the artist was a racist, but merely trying to envision what life was like during a time when he wasn't present.

I'm all for nudism, but not if it is offensive in some way. And it appears that the native Canadians are offended by what it depicts.

Dave

Comment

much ado about nothing...

Comment

Many misunderstand what's included in CFI Nudes in the News services, Nudes in the News streaming news, Nudes in the Nudes Video Services, and CFF Nudes in the News forum category.

Some forum members feel that "Nudes in the News" should be only "Nudist" or "Naturist" Nudes in the News. but it’s not, and never has been.

Nudes in the News cover many nude subjects which have nothing to do with nudists, naturists or their events such as:

Nude protests
          Nude demonstrations
          Nude art exhibits
          Nude models
          Nude drawings
          Nudity in Fashion
          Nudity in language, Music, Comedy, and entertainment.
          Nude Calendar photo shoots
          Museum nude works, sculptures, art.
          Nude Photographic/art mass shoots
          Nude use in Media, advertising, & Promotion.
          Nude performances in plays and theater.
          Streaking events
          > The list goes on and on....

Some well known examples of non nudist or naturists posts and events:

Bare to Breakers joining in on Bay to Breakers foot race.
          WNBR World Nude Bike Ride
          PETA Nude for animal rights demonstrations.
          War Protest nude demonstrations.
          Peace nude demonstrations.
          College Nude drinking contests
          Topless & nude rights demonstrations marches.
          Soltice nude Fremont parade.
          Burning Man Festival
          Nude music and entertainment performances.
          Nude night clubs.

Eve link deleted

Eve link deleted

http://www.clothesfree.com/Nudes_in_News.html

http://www.clothesfree.com/tickerforyou.html

http://www.clothesfree.com/members/newsvideos.html

Some Nudes in the News services are available only to paid subscription CFI members, and some are for external use to be coded into HTML code for other web sites for real time streaming media and Hyperlinked to the CFI Nudes in the News news server.
          Last edited by NakedGary; 06-23-2008, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I responded because I do not believe that nudity or the fact that there were bare breasts in one of the paintings in the story was the issue at all. I am not sure it even warrants being mentioned as nudes in the news.

Of course, I am interested in what others say.

Comment

Its being mentioned as Nudes in the News media as your Canadian CTVglobemedia Publishing Inc., globeandmail.com has featured [and Canadian Press] nudity and naked as an attention getter for several publications/press/internet posts several days within a week, similar to the Philadelphia Inquirer, and The Globe here in the U.S.

Murals of bare-breasted natives to come down

Principal suspended over nude photo on Web

Googling for undesirable nominiees

Comment

From what I've heard, topfreedom is part of the issue.

Tragically, a significant number of aboriginals are now fundamentalist Christians and simply do not like themselves as being portrayed semi-nude. (To my fundamentalist Christian nudist friends, yes, I know you are out there but the fact is fundamentalist Christians as a whole vehemently oppose natursim.)

How about we replace the mural with topfree men and women of all cultures working in and enjoying beautiful British Columbia.

Comment

How about we replace the mural with topfree men and women of all cultures working in and enjoying beautiful British Columbia.
                  Now there is a solution! Care to mention that to Premiere Campbell and his buddies?

Comment

Originally posted by Still_Boreas:
                    quote:
                    Now there is a solution! Care to mention that to Premiere Campbell and his buddies?

Thanks but I am happy to allow BC naturists and/or artists to make my idea their idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X