Photographer Jordan Matter shoots topless women in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographer Jordan Matter shoots topless women in NYC

Hey all... I was watching some episodes of "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" tonight that had backed up on my TIVO and came across this story. I searched for a link to an article about it but sadly couldn't find anything! So I apologize for the length of this, and the transcript format, but it was all I could find on MSNBC.com When I was googling it though, I found that topfree site TERA had posted that he was looking for models. Good topless news coverage I thought, though sad it didn't seem to be covered too much (unless I am using bad search terms?).

__________________________________________________ ______

Tonight: topless women, car crashes, and the hidden cameras that capture them. First, we will see which can get the attention of us blasé Manhattanites.

Our correspondent is Ann Curry.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

(MUSIC)

ANN CURRY, NBC CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): What was once reserved for the bedroom has been busting out all over.

JANET JACKSON, MUSICIAN: I am really sorry if I offended anyone.

CURRY: This little clothing malfunction scandalized the nation.

JORDAN MATTER, PHOTOGRAPHER: OK. Go.

CURRY: But it inspired photographer Jordan Matter to see how his fellow New Yorkers would handle...

MATTER: Oh, whoa, whoa, whoa.

CURRY: ... a little breast.

MATTER: I’m not there yet.

The next red light, we are going to do it.

CURRY: He enlisted female volunteers of every shape and, uh, size to take off their tops around town, all for an art project he calls “Uncovered.”

MATTER: You are going right into the center.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I’m so freaked out. There is only all these people.

(CHEERING AND APPLAUSE)

MATTER: There was this whole taboo issue around women’s bodies. And the most public way to address that issue would be to photograph it publicly.

Walk towards me. Then turn around and walk back.

CURRY: And so he did, assuming his display would shock the city. But the biggest shock?

MATTER: The great majority of people walk by, as if they don’t even see it.

CURRY: All right, some lingered, admired the view.

MATTER: The other day, I was shooting a woman, and this guy said:

“Thank you. Thank you.” And he gave me a big hug.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You have got to enjoy yourself in life. That’s what it’s about.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We are only passing through. We are only a number.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We are only passing through. She has got two lovely numbers.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: (INAUDIBLE)

CURRY: Other amateurs were inspired to create a little art of their own, which didn’t bother this model’s husband too much.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The first time Jordan shot with Sonya (ph), I went with her, because I was like, you are going to have a bodyguard, and it’s going to be me.

CURRY: The only hassle came from the men in blue.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hey, do you have a permit or anything like that for taking pictures?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No. No. You are not allowed in here.

MATTER: Oh, really?

(CROSSTALK)

MATTER: What?

CURRY: Always polite, Jordan comes armed with the documents that prove it’s legal.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: She is not allowed to like that in public.

MATTER: Oh, yes, she is. It’s legal.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, she is.

MATTER: “The people have offered nothing to justify a law that discriminates against women.”

CURRY: A 1992 ruling in a Rochester court allowed women in New York state to go topless in public.

MATTER: “As men are routinely permitted to do.”

CURRY: Some may never exercise that right...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Just don’t agree with people streaking. That’s it.

CURRY: But many seemed liberated.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Here I am. This is me.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Ladies, I’m so proud of you all. You all go, girls.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: You all go, girls.

(LAUGHTER)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: That’s what the hell I’m talking about. Where can I sign up?

(LAUGHTER)

MATTER: Oh, that’s great.

CURRY: As for the subjects...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Oh, I like that one a lot.

CURRY: They do it all for free.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Just for the love of it.

(LAUGHTER)

CURRY: And, of course, a bit of exposure.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

Hey all... I was watching some episodes of "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" tonight that had backed up on my TIVO and came across this story. I searched for a link to an article about it but sadly couldn't find anything! So I apologize for the length of this, and the transcript format, but it was all I could find on MSNBC.com When I was googling it though, I found that topfree site TERA had posted that he was looking for models. Good topless news coverage I thought, though sad it didn't seem to be covered too much (unless I am using bad search terms?).

__________________________________________________ ______

Tonight: topless women, car crashes, and the hidden cameras that capture them. First, we will see which can get the attention of us blasé Manhattanites.

Our correspondent is Ann Curry.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

(MUSIC)

ANN CURRY, NBC CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): What was once reserved for the bedroom has been busting out all over.

JANET JACKSON, MUSICIAN: I am really sorry if I offended anyone.

CURRY: This little clothing malfunction scandalized the nation.

JORDAN MATTER, PHOTOGRAPHER: OK. Go.

CURRY: But it inspired photographer Jordan Matter to see how his fellow New Yorkers would handle...

MATTER: Oh, whoa, whoa, whoa.

CURRY: ... a little breast.

MATTER: I’m not there yet.

The next red light, we are going to do it.

CURRY: He enlisted female volunteers of every shape and, uh, size to take off their tops around town, all for an art project he calls “Uncovered.”

MATTER: You are going right into the center.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I’m so freaked out. There is only all these people.

(CHEERING AND APPLAUSE)

MATTER: There was this whole taboo issue around women’s bodies. And the most public way to address that issue would be to photograph it publicly.

Walk towards me. Then turn around and walk back.

CURRY: And so he did, assuming his display would shock the city. But the biggest shock?

MATTER: The great majority of people walk by, as if they don’t even see it.

CURRY: All right, some lingered, admired the view.

MATTER: The other day, I was shooting a woman, and this guy said:

“Thank you. Thank you.” And he gave me a big hug.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You have got to enjoy yourself in life. That’s what it’s about.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We are only passing through. We are only a number.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We are only passing through. She has got two lovely numbers.

CURRY: Other amateurs were inspired to create a little art of their own, which didn’t bother this model’s husband too much.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The first time Jordan shot with Sonya (ph), I went with her, because I was like, you are going to have a bodyguard, and it’s going to be me.

CURRY: The only hassle came from the men in blue.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hey, do you have a permit or anything like that for taking pictures?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No. No. You are not allowed in here.

MATTER: Oh, really?

(CROSSTALK)

MATTER: What?

CURRY: Always polite, Jordan comes armed with the documents that prove it’s legal.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: She is not allowed to like that in public.

MATTER: Oh, yes, she is. It’s legal.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, she is.

MATTER: “The people have offered nothing to justify a law that discriminates against women.”

CURRY: A 1992 ruling in a Rochester court allowed women in New York state to go topless in public.

MATTER: “As men are routinely permitted to do.”

CURRY: Some may never exercise that right...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Just don’t agree with people streaking. That’s it.

CURRY: But many seemed liberated.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Here I am. This is me.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Ladies, I’m so proud of you all. You all go, girls.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: You all go, girls.

(LAUGHTER)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: That’s what the hell I’m talking about. Where can I sign up?

(LAUGHTER)

MATTER: Oh, that’s great.

CURRY: As for the subjects...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Oh, I like that one a lot.

CURRY: They do it all for free.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Just for the love of it.

(LAUGHTER)

CURRY: And, of course, a bit of exposure.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

Comment

What is so special about a women without a hat?

I mean ... huh, what

oh!

I am living for the day this would not be news and the day that some photographer was shooting women with tops on and they were the oddity because of it.

Comment

Somehow I doubt that a shirtless male would go unnoticed on the city street, legal or not.

Walt

Comment

That was the video that was linked to in the message http://clothesfreeforums.com/eve/for...2/m/4980050314

I did see the video, and thought it was pretty good. It does seem to have expired from the website though.

Comment

They're shooting women for going topless? That seems a little harsh.

But seriously...I happened to catch the piece when it aired, it was pretty good. If I remember correctly, the "Unidentified Male" who said "She is not allowed to like that in public" was in fact a policeman, at which point the photographer or one of his assistants produced the documentation that showed the policeman that he was wrong. I think there was a quick shot of police rushing in in an attempt to catch one of the models, it may have been the same moment. As noted, at most of the shoots, most people just passed by without comment, but I do recall one crowd behind a barrier of some sort.

Dave

Comment

Dave:"but I do recall one crowd behind a barrier of some sort."

There was a parade, I think the Saint Patrick's Day Parade and the people were behind a barrier. The woman, as directed by Jordan, got in place behind the barrier for the shot.

The police were trying to catch up to her with their ignroance of the law.

Bob S.

Comment

I don't get it. Is someone taking their shirt off "nude"? Would this guy want to take my picture if I took my shirt off, and would people here want to hear about it?

I thought people wearing clothes were called "textiles" and that this site isn't about them.

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by Bob S.:
                  Dave:"but I do recall one crowd behind a barrier of some sort."

There was a parade, I think the Saint Patrick's Day Parade and the people were behind a barrier. The woman, as directed by Jordan, got in place behind the barrier for the shot.

The police were trying to catch up to her with their ignroance of the law.

Bob S.

Thanks, Bob. I hadn't paid real close attention, might have been on the phone.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X