troy3800 ? [email protected] Start a Group - My Groups
    ymna2 Group Member [ Edit My Membership ]

Home
    Files
    Photos
    Links
    Polls
    Members

I received the following email today from Dave, [email protected] I thought members of this group would find it both interesting and sad. Thanks Dave for bring it to are attention.

NUDESWIM

The state of New Jersey made it official today, Feb 10, 2004, to stop
    all school showers. The state senate gave the official statement to
    the State Board of Education Director of Schools, Robert Murray. The
    official reason that was given was that to many parents have been
    complaining to local school officials that their children do not wish
    to go into the showers at school due to peers "making remarks about
    their body and/or privet parts." Previously to this action, students
    were required to shower after gym class, regardless of comments made
    by their peers. However, the state decided to reverse their decision
    when the ACLU filed suit on behalf of those students who desire not
    to take showers. The ACLU claims, in their law suit, that the right
    to privacy is being violated. Since the law suit was filed, the state
    of New Jersey has decided not to fight the suit since the budget gap
    is at an all time high, and believe this suit has the potential of
    costing the state an approximate ten million to fight in the court
    system.
    The Board of Education will notify local school boards that
    those students who wish to shower after gym class may do so until the
    end of the current school year. Those students who request not to
    shower, will be excused.
    Beginning in September all school showers will be closed
    permanently. In addition to this action all future school
    construction, including those schools under construction currently,
    will not have gym showers included in the building plans.

NUDESWIM

Man, that stinks!

Now wait a minute, nobody wants to force a kid into the showers, but what's all this about shutting down all showers for everyone? We can't really blame the ACLU for that. Those pin heads at the school board are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by Trailscout:
      [qb] Man, that stinks!

Now wait a minute, nobody wants to force a kid into the showers, but what's all this about shutting down all showers for everyone? We can't really blame the ACLU for that. Those pin heads at the school board are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. [/qb]
      Several years ago the ACLU represented an overweight teen girl who objected to being forced to shower with other girls after PE class. They certainly didn't demand the showers be shut down.

As to the accuracy of the emailed story, I wouldn't accept it as gospel until I saw some press reports. These word of mouth/email forwarded stories tend to be of questionable quality, it may turn out to just be that East Secaucus Junior High shut down one of the showers because of a clogged floor drain...

-Mark

Comment

Like many thousands of people, I am prone to fungus type diseases, like candida, tinea and ringworm.
        I don't suffer from any of them, because I have learned how to protect myself.
        Typical of fungus type organisms, these infections like dark, moist, warm places, in which to multiply. Places such as between the toes, the anal and genital areas, and under the breasts of large breasted females.
        Before I knew about such matters, I suffered from systemic candida, [that's when the candida organism spreads internally].
        This condition, as it was in my case, is often undiagnosed, or misdiagnosed. It's frequently distressing and disruptive, can be dangerous, and, in rare cases, can be fatal.
        If I am involved in vigorous exercise, when I am wearing clothes, and don't get showered and changed very quickly afterwards, I will get thrush in the inside upper thigh area, and that could just be the start of various symptoms.
        Many people are like that, but they have no real knowledge of the situation, and call it sweat- rash, or jock-itch, or "one of those womens' problems".
        This type of thing tends to run in families.
        It's a long time since I was involved in a school type situation, but if this were happening to me now, and I couldn't get a shower, I'd have a letter from my doctor stating my condition, together with the threat of a law suit.

Comment

I wonder what the health department things about this idea. In addition to not being good for one's personal hygeine, it can't be good to have 25-30 sweating students sitting in class in close proximity to each other.

Comment

I have always been a "big" person, and was often the subject of ridicule by others...even out of school and in the Navy. But I knew the importance of cleanliness (it IS next to godliness afterall), and showered anyway. Of course, now as a nudist, I have learned to accept my body as it is, flaws and all, and totally ignore the snickers and chuckles or odd looks from others at the gym locker room. It's a shame that this school system has caved in to "peer pressure" and completely removed the showers rather than stand up for health and cleanliness, and punished those students were making the rude comments in the first place! Children can be cruel, but the answer is not to remove the showers...its to remove/punish the cruel child!

Comment

Interestingly, the topic of public showers seems to have come up on a number of different forums recently.

One would think that would be a widespread recognition that cleanliness is, not only next to godliness, but also next to healthiness as has been pointed out by myself and others.

The problem is we've got a ridiculous, and I think worsening, societal problem with lack of body acceptance at all ages from young to old. Though I support taking corrective action in specific cases, I would start with trying to bring in a basic understanding of body acceptance to the extent necessary (typically the whole school). Unfortunately, because I think society as a whole is ridiculously messed up on the topic, I recognize it would be difficult to bring in a commonly agreed upon plan of action.

It amazes me how often society goes to absurd lengths in order to justify a particular cultural meme. I've not had the pleasure of getting to New Jersey but does it not get awfully hot and humid there; people with the conditions Rex has mentioned would surely be in major difficulty, never mind those who do not. Really, with all these new deadly communicable diseases (SARS, bird flu, what next?), it is ludicrous we're moving away from simple, basic hygiene.

Comment

All the typos in the post suggest to me that it is a fake story...I don't know why anyone would fake a story like this. Maybe they got it from the Onion...then again the Onion stories are generally funny and don't contain typos. What is the person who fabricated this story trying to accomplish? Now that's a question to start a thread on...

Comment

Yes, I think the story might be a hoax, but the issue is not, eg.:
                  http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0203/p12s01-legn.html

Comment

"In addition to this action all future school
                    construction, including those schools under construction currently, will not have gym showers included in the building plans."

Not that New Jersey has been known to house genuises in their state or anything but I wonder what's going to happen to the first 'new' school without showers that hosts an athletic event, in particular football?

Comment

I think we oughta just go back to the mandatory shower thing and have counselors and other people deal with all the mental issues of being seen by peers and really the coaches need to crack down and punish these idiots who constantly insult and harass these kids, they dont need that sort of crap and itshouldnt be tolerated. People gotta stop letting the schools get away with this stuff cuz if they take away money from the Phys-ed program, you know where it ends up going.....into the pockets of teachers and administrators that do a lousy job and deserve to be fired instead of paid better. There needs to be some positive way to get these kids to wanna take a shower and in fact look forward to it. I think if we had more body acceptance,this would help alot.

Comment

Thanks for this info, hm0504.
                        So, the dirty little buggers are not being taught personal hygiene, either at school, or at home.
                        I wonder if they are encouraged to wash their hands, after using the toilet, and given the reasons why, or would that too, be infringing on their personal liberty?
                        And, with the wisdom that comes automatically with being 15, they reckon that spraying on deodorant, is a viable alternative to washing yourself.
                        Next time you go to the fast food place, remember that the kids preparing and serving your food, are probably the same kids who have never been taught to keep themselves clean.
                        And some of them will go into careers where personal hygiene should be regarded as an absolute necessity.
                        Hasn't Professor Charles Corbin, and other so-called experts, who seem to regard personal hygiene as secondary to various other considerations, ever heard of food poisoning, caused by human fecal contamination?

Comment

Yeah its like people who never wash their hands or themselves are one extreme while the other are the people who wash their hands and themselves every time they turn around or touch something and it just seems monotonous. I say we encourage strongly that people take showers more jus so we can get em nude [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Encourage them to take LONG showers, then they can be nude longer and experience it more [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I just cannot imagine myself sitting in class without showering after P.E., especially after a hard workout. I know the smell will be strong enough to alert the students, unless like someone has already stated, I put on gobbs of cologne.

What is wrong with simple hygiene? If the kids are "that" embarassed, then build private stalls for them, but you just can't ignore personal hygiene. Do these kids live that way at home, meaning, not showering after a long hot day?

I used to be embarassed, but that didn't stop me from getting clean. Kids can be mean and cruel, but times have changed. Parents will now blame the school first before knowing the facts. The powerful teachers unions and the ACLU have turned our schools upside down. We need to begin to turn the tide, or it will get much more worse.

It's hard to imagine a state will roll over when threatened with a law suit from the ACLU. I hope this is not a beginning of a new trend. Maybe it could be a new subject for school, "How to survive being stinky" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Comment

When I first started coaching wrestling 35 years ago everyone took a shower after practice. This included high school boys as well as jr. high school boys, some of whom had not reached puberty yet and some of whom had. I never heard any comments about a student's body. Over the past 15 years I have seen a growing trend in which more and more kids do not take showers right after practice. In fact, in the school I am coaching in now does not even have the water turned on to the showers in the boys' locker room. I have also noticed that ringworm is much more of a problem on wrestling teams today than it ever was. I still wrestle with the athletes but have never gotten a case of ringworm. Why? I take a shower in the coaches' office after every practice.

Comment

Working...
                              X