X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSU Streaker Fine

Here's the story:

LSU streaker ordered to pay $1,624

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- An LSU student has learned the cost of stripping naked and running across the field in Tiger Stadium during a football game: $1,624.75.

That's what Bretton Somers was ordered to pay Monday after accepting a plea deal that allowed him to escape a felony rap.

Instead of having to face the charge of obscenity, Somers pleaded guilty to misdemeanor counts of disturbing the peace, resisting an officer and criminal trespass. State District Judge Richard Anderson ordered Somers to pay a $500 fine, $500 to the East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney's Office, $300 to the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office, $200 to the LSU Police Department and $124.75 in court costs.

Anderson also forbid Somers from attending any sporting events at LSU while on probation for a year.

Somers, 33, and his attorney Alex St. Amant declined comment after the hearing.

Prosecutor Tracey Barbera said Somers' actions could not go unpunished.

"The important thing is that he accepted responsibility and he's facing consequences for his actions," Barbera said. "This kind of behavior will not be tolerated."

According to a sheriff's office affidavit, Somers ran onto the LSU field on Sept. 4, 2004 - a rainy night in Tiger Stadium where thousands of fans gathered for a football game against Oregon State.

Deputies said Somers was extremely intoxicated but Barbera said that does not excuse his actions. The affidavit said that Somers was already naked when he got onto the field in the northwest end of the football field. He then ran toward the middle of the football field and eluded several deputies and officers from LSU and Louisiana State Police.

Police estimated between 80,000 and 90,000 people were in the stadium when Somers ran across the field.

An obscenity charge carries a minimum sentence of six months in jail. First offenders face up to three years and a fine of up to $2,500.

Here's the story:

LSU streaker ordered to pay $1,624

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- An LSU student has learned the cost of stripping naked and running across the field in Tiger Stadium during a football game: $1,624.75.

That's what Bretton Somers was ordered to pay Monday after accepting a plea deal that allowed him to escape a felony rap.

Instead of having to face the charge of obscenity, Somers pleaded guilty to misdemeanor counts of disturbing the peace, resisting an officer and criminal trespass. State District Judge Richard Anderson ordered Somers to pay a $500 fine, $500 to the East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney's Office, $300 to the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office, $200 to the LSU Police Department and $124.75 in court costs.

Anderson also forbid Somers from attending any sporting events at LSU while on probation for a year.

Somers, 33, and his attorney Alex St. Amant declined comment after the hearing.

Prosecutor Tracey Barbera said Somers' actions could not go unpunished.

"The important thing is that he accepted responsibility and he's facing consequences for his actions," Barbera said. "This kind of behavior will not be tolerated."

According to a sheriff's office affidavit, Somers ran onto the LSU field on Sept. 4, 2004 - a rainy night in Tiger Stadium where thousands of fans gathered for a football game against Oregon State.

Deputies said Somers was extremely intoxicated but Barbera said that does not excuse his actions. The affidavit said that Somers was already naked when he got onto the field in the northwest end of the football field. He then ran toward the middle of the football field and eluded several deputies and officers from LSU and Louisiana State Police.

Police estimated between 80,000 and 90,000 people were in the stadium when Somers ran across the field.

An obscenity charge carries a minimum sentence of six months in jail. First offenders face up to three years and a fine of up to $2,500.

Comment

I think the verdict and fine are crap. People may gasp or point or laugh but seriously, he didn't harm anyone. The charge of evading police is wrong as well. He was running across a field, its not like he wasn't easy to catch. Conservatism sickens me. Get a life!!

Comment

Amen. Streaking is a part of the sports culture - granted, more so in soccer than in football, but that's not the point. It's ridiculous for this guy to have to pay $1,624.75 for streaking, especially if he's a student and that is the tuition for next semester (BTW, I don't know what tuition costs at LSU are). We Americans need to lighten up, seriously.

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by Christian:

Let me see: "extremely intoxicated" and "eluded several deputies and officers." Either fire those fat-*** deputies and officers or give this guy a football scholarship. I'll bet LSU doesn't have any running back that good, drunk or sober.

Comment

quote:
            It's ridiculous for this guy to have to pay $1,624.75 for streaking, especially if he's a student and that is the tuition for next semester

I think it was fair. It will make others think twice before behaving so irresponsibly in future.

Stu

Comment

I cannot believe I am typing this,but for the first time, I agree with Stu.

I attend sports events to watch the game, not streakers (or fans in general) running around the field and interrupting.

In addition, security and true court costs are high already. (probably more than the fine).
              Actions like this contribute to high ticket prices and high income taxes.

I fully support being clothes free, just at appropriate times and places.

Comment

Anyone who trespasses on the field of play during the official use of that field should be fined. Costumes (or lack thereof) should not play into the fine, just behaviour.

Bob S.

Comment

quote:
                  Anyone who trespasses on the field of play during the official use of that field should be fined. Costumes (or lack thereof) should not play into the fine, just behaviour.

I agree with Nu that being "clothes free" is perfectly OK at "appropriate times and places". The question arises as to what is and is not an appropriate time and place. A major public event at which nudity is neither expected nor sanctioned is not, IMO, appropriate.

Stu

Comment

quote:
                    Let me see: "extremely intoxicated" and "eluded several deputies and officers." Either fire those fat-*** deputies and officers or give this guy a football scholarship. I'll bet LSU doesn't have any running back that good, drunk or sober.

I agree! If he was as drunk as accused, they should have easily caught him. The charges were excessive as were the fines. I wonder if it had been an attractive lady if the charges and fines would have been the same?

Comment

Dear Mr. Natural Man.
                      Your observation regards the young lady is very correct. I find it interesting that when the male student did a simple prank he gets fined an excessive amount of money, yet when a silly "singer" exposes her breast in a blatantly obvious publicity stunt that no charges were laid.
                      The business with the student is simply revenue raising at its worst.
                      Thankfully we do not have idiots like those officials at our cricket matches in Oz.
                      Regards. John S.

Comment

Working...
                      X