Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Nude Protesting Hurt or Help Nudism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frodo
    replied
    I agree with others who say that nude protests do not hurt nudists, but the other side is what helps nudism? Yes, the shock value is decreasing (there is at least one naked guy in every organization). However, I still know many who think seeing the natural human body is the worst thing that could possibly happen. You all know that after about 10 minutes at a nude beach you forget that people are nude and don't think about it anymore. If we can get indecent exposure laws removed we could go to the grocery store and the movies nude. Then it would become an everyday thing and no one would think twice about it. Indecent exposure laws are aimed at protecting people from perverts, but there are other laws you can get them on, and if everyone was nude flashers would have to find a new hobby.

Leave a comment:

• tinner666
    replied
    The shock value is dying out. I watched a movie last night where a student went onstage to get his diploma nude. The crowd reaction was ' smiles'.
    I can't help but think that all this main stream nudity will lead to a ' ho0hum' attitude about the nappearance of nude bodies. It's common in other countries to see full nudity on TV. We're slowly gettting to that point, I hope. That should lead to more acceptance IMO.

I'm not trying to get off-topic, just pointing out that nudity may be on it's way "IN".

Leave a comment:

• Naturist Mark
    replied
    quote:
    But it also connects that nudity to a protest group that they most likely have a bad opinion of.

Nude protests have been fairly commonplace for the last 4 years. I have yet to hear the media, or the public condemning nudists or nudism for the protests. The public seems smarter than that. Amazingly so is the media.

I would understand if nude protests were causing a backlash against nudists, but so far they aren't.

-Mark

Leave a comment:

• NudeAl
    replied
    I think nude protesting has already lost some of it's intended "edge." It is becoming somewhat passe'. It is still done but dosen't rate as high in the news as it once did. It still guarantees you will get mentioned just doesn't seem to grab the media like it once did. So over time it too will fade away.

Leave a comment:

• Nude in the North
    replied
    So ... If a really Hairy guy joined a nude protest with PeTa, Would they make him "take the fur off"?

I think nude protests are double edged.
    Sure it gets people that normally wouldn't see groups of people in the nude, to be exposed to a little nudity. But it also connects that nudity to a protest group that they most likely have a bad opinion of.

I agree that the attention grabbing "shock value" of nude protests will eventually wear off. But only for those few people that see it first hand. The majority of people will never see such an event in person. They will only get a few seconds of "news reporting" on the tv. And of course that will be tainted with the views of the news reporter.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Naturist Mark
    replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ratbas:
    So how do people view the World Naked Bike Ride (http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org/)? This is mainly an oil protest but does attract a lot of actual naturists.

Didn't you read the news stories about all the people who were hospitalized due to the shock of unexpectedly seeing nude people? And all those who are now having to go through extensive mental health counseling? Or all the sexual assults that resulted from the unleashing of the unbridled lust of those who viewed the bicyclists?

Me either.

There were a handfull of 'crazy naked people' stories, and perhaps an indignant 'think of the children' statements - but no injuries, criminal violence or mental disability resulted.

Public nudity turns out to be socially harmless. Unbelievable isn't it?

-Mark

Leave a comment:

• Ratbas
    replied
    So how do people view the World Naked Bike Ride (http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org/)? This is mainly an oil protest but does attract a lot of actual naturists.

Leave a comment:

• hm0504
    replied
    Excellent point Mark.

A few weeks ago I was having a verbal discussion on this topic and the person (a nudist at retirement age) said she opposed nude protests because it would enforce the idea that nudists were swingers. I think what she meant was that, in her view, swingers like to flaunt what they've got and that's the impression that the protesters are leaving.

I was kind of stunned. Whatever general impression people have of swingers, I don't think it is of a being fervent anti-fur, bicycle-riding, environmental activist, health promoters.

Leave a comment:

• Naturist Mark
    replied
    I haven't noticed any news accounts of these protests being by "Nudists". What I see is reports of this or that group staging a "Nude Protest". I have yet to see any backlash against nudists because of nude protesters - we aren't blamed for PETA's excesses, we aren't identified as anti-war because anti-war groups stage nude protests. Until that happens I just won't buy the notion that they are hurting nudism.

Frankly I think people are paying less and less attention to them - the nudity is not as shocking today as it was 5 years ago - and THAT is good for us.

-Mark

Leave a comment:

• DeathKnight
    replied
    Considering how nudity is being used in some of those causes, I say nude protesting is damaging the credibility of nudism. It reinforces the stereotype that nudists are whackos.

Leave a comment:

• Sauna
    replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by tinner666:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sauna:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Naturist Mark:
    Again, I have to ask you - does anyone blame 'nude protests' on nudists? If they do, they are idiots. Not that there is any shortage of idiots.

I have seen absolutely no evidence that the general public is in any way linking the issues of nude protesters with nudism.

-Mark

Sorry to say but there is clear evidence that it is not so. Not all but many nude protesters do it naked to frighten people with nakedness and it works. Nakedness frightens average people and hurts that way nudism. Specially this is to Peta which does terrorism against fur industry. Terrorism is then connected to nakedness and it is very bad connection. People cannot separate them.

Be that as it may, I don't see anybody shielding their eyes or running away in the picture.
    They are 'fringe', but it does show that nudity can be had without the sex.

It does not work on the streets, it works in the tv news to the millions of people watching them.

Leave a comment:

• tinner666
    replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sauna:
    quote:
    Again, I have to ask you - does anyone blame 'nude protests' on nudists? If they do, they are idiots. Not that there is any shortage of idiots.

I have seen absolutely no evidence that the general public is in any way linking the issues of nude protesters with nudism.

-Mark

Sorry to say but there is clear evidence that it is not so. Not all but many nude protesters do it naked to frighten people with nakedness and it works. Nakedness frightens average people and hurts that way nudism. Specially this is to Peta which does terrorism against fur industry. Terrorism is then connected to nakedness and it is very bad connection. People cannot separate them.

Be that as it may, I don't see anybody shielding their eyes or running away in the picture.
    They are 'fringe', but it does show that nudity can be had without the sex.

Leave a comment:

• Sauna
    replied
    quote:

-Mark

Leave a comment:

• Naturist Mark
    replied

-Mark

Leave a comment:

• Sauna
    replied
    Nude protesting hurts nudism seriously. I has veery strong influence in people's thinking and all this influence is negative. It is very agressive picture of nudism what they give out. Nudism is attacking. Who wants to be similar??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X