• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Running of the Nudes" Pamplona, Spain

PETA Hopes ‘Human Race’ Will Eclipse and Ultimately Replace Cruel Bull Run

For Immediate Release:
    May 2, 2006

Brandi Valladolid 757-622-7382

Pamplona, Spain — Wearing nothing but plastic bullhorns and red scarves, more than 1,000 people from around the world will join PETA’s fifth annual "Running of the Nudes" in Pamplona, Spain, on July 5 as a fun, sexy, and humane alternative to the cruel "Running of the Bulls" and the slaughter of the animals in the bullfights that ensue. With opposition to the Running of the Bulls and bullfights mounting, PETA is gearing up for its biggest-ever naked run, which has doubled in size every year since its inception. The Running of the Nudes takes place two days before the Running of the Bulls and follows the identical course.

PETA wants Pamplona to embrace a new tradition—the festive, naked "Human Race"—and to stop abusing bulls, who are terrified by the ordeal and often suffer serious injuries as they slip and fall in their flight down cobbled streets. After the Barcelona City Council declared Barcelona an anti-bullfighting city in April 2004 in an effort to eventually ban this primitive blood sport—seen by many as a shameful relic from Spain’s past and not reflective of a progressive European country—other Spanish towns, including Torello, Calldetenes, and Olot, followed suit.

During the Running of the Bulls, bulls are terrorized with electric prods and sharp sticks prior to the run and are tortured and slaughtered in the bullring afterward—every single day during the weeklong festival. In bullfights, bulls are often debilitated with tranquilizers or beatings and are blinded with petroleum jelly rubbed into their eyes. According to The New York Times, as many as 90 percent of tourists who attend bullfights never return after witnessing the animals’ suffering.

"If people are traveling to Pamplona seeking thrills, what could be more exciting than throwing off your clothes and running through the streets with 1,000 other compassionate people?" says PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk. "The Running of the Nudes is a win-win-win situation—people have fun, Pamplona gets tourists, and bulls live to see another Spanish sunrise."

For more information and to view video footage of last year’s Running of the Nudes, please visit RunningOfTheNudes.com.

« Previous

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for E-News
    Join Our
    Activist Network
    Forward to
    a Friend

PETA Hopes ‘Human Race’ Will Eclipse and Ultimately Replace Cruel Bull Run

For Immediate Release:
    May 2, 2006

Brandi Valladolid 757-622-7382

Pamplona, Spain — Wearing nothing but plastic bullhorns and red scarves, more than 1,000 people from around the world will join PETA’s fifth annual "Running of the Nudes" in Pamplona, Spain, on July 5 as a fun, sexy, and humane alternative to the cruel "Running of the Bulls" and the slaughter of the animals in the bullfights that ensue. With opposition to the Running of the Bulls and bullfights mounting, PETA is gearing up for its biggest-ever naked run, which has doubled in size every year since its inception. The Running of the Nudes takes place two days before the Running of the Bulls and follows the identical course.

PETA wants Pamplona to embrace a new tradition—the festive, naked "Human Race"—and to stop abusing bulls, who are terrified by the ordeal and often suffer serious injuries as they slip and fall in their flight down cobbled streets. After the Barcelona City Council declared Barcelona an anti-bullfighting city in April 2004 in an effort to eventually ban this primitive blood sport—seen by many as a shameful relic from Spain’s past and not reflective of a progressive European country—other Spanish towns, including Torello, Calldetenes, and Olot, followed suit.

During the Running of the Bulls, bulls are terrorized with electric prods and sharp sticks prior to the run and are tortured and slaughtered in the bullring afterward—every single day during the weeklong festival. In bullfights, bulls are often debilitated with tranquilizers or beatings and are blinded with petroleum jelly rubbed into their eyes. According to The New York Times, as many as 90 percent of tourists who attend bullfights never return after witnessing the animals’ suffering.

"If people are traveling to Pamplona seeking thrills, what could be more exciting than throwing off your clothes and running through the streets with 1,000 other compassionate people?" says PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk. "The Running of the Nudes is a win-win-win situation—people have fun, Pamplona gets tourists, and bulls live to see another Spanish sunrise."

For more information and to view video footage of last year’s Running of the Nudes, please visit RunningOfTheNudes.com.

« Previous

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for E-News
    Join Our
    Activist Network
    Forward to
    a Friend

Comment

The Running of the Bulls is cruel to humans! I know that some people would say that it gives natural selection a chance to cull the idiots from the human gene pool, but that's a terrible way to die.

A bunch of running nudes would give the tourists plenty of entertainment without those hooves and horns!

PETA is usually guilty of saying the most outlandish things, but I'll agree on this issue.

Comment

As an ovo-lacto-ichthyo-carno vegetarian, I'm not quite in line with PETA but I do appreciate their creative approaches to protesting.

Comment

I'm for PETA too! People for Eating Tasty Animals. Bake them, fry them, put'em in a stew any way you like them they're good for you.

Seriously any bulls you got left over from the bull ring are invited to my house for a BBQ. My treat! Just bring the marinade.

Comment

I'm a vegatarian....but I have leather shoes.

Is it every July 5th?

Comment

The "nuderuns" site is extremely negative and ironic about this PETA event.
              Of course a movement like PETA can be too extreme, and find opponents even within naturist communities. But it is not a reason to denigrate them.

By the way, Pamplona is in Catalonia, that I know. And in Catalonia, nudity in public is allowed by law...

Of course, a nude demonstration can loose its effect when nudity is allowed

Comment

Like Trailscout, I finally agree with PETA for a change, at least on this one event. I'm OK with eating animals, that's what domestic cattle are for, but they should be dispatched humanely. The cruelty described in that article is just over the top.

But let's don't associate PETA's methods with Nudism. No connection.

Comment

I thought Peta stood for "People Embarassing Tidewater Area"

ken

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by Trailscout:
                    The Running of the Bulls is cruel to humans!

I couldn't agree more.

Pete Knight

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by DoctorSurferDude:
                      I'm a vegatarian....but I have leather shoes.

Is it every July 5th?

The running of the bulls happens every July 7.

Comment

EuropeMan Pamplona is not in Catalonia.

Pamplona is the capital city of Navarra Spain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamplona

San Fermin Festival 7 July until 14 July also known as The Running of the Bulls or encierro.

Comment

Working...
                        X