Man cited for naked hike on Yonah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man cited for naked hike on Yonah

I thought this ITEM was worth opening a new topic for, your comments are invited!

From the White County News
    Blitch, 59, of Clermont, was issued a violation notice and charged with public indecency
    If this case was in the UK the park rangers would have to prove that an indecent act took place, and nudity per se, is not indecent under UK law, therefore the rangers would have to prove that some indecent sexual act took place.

It is unclear whether more hikers will follow Blitch's example.
    Errrm, we know different don't we? I think the park rangers would be surprised at how many freehikers there are out there.

Off Topic Warning!!
    Earlier this year, the forest service built new bathrooms and a gravel parking lot for Mt. Yonah hikers.
    Why they added this last little comment I eludes me, but it raises a question. Why is it you call a lavatory/water closet/toilet/public convinience a bathroom when there isn't a bath in sight? Are you so uptight that you can't use the proper descriptive title for a toilet? Perhaps this explians why nudity is difficult to accept in Uncle Sam's back yard, I mean, if you have to call a lavatory a bathroom what chance is there of getting over nudity.

Just wondered!!!!!!!!

Pete Knight

I thought this ITEM was worth opening a new topic for, your comments are invited!

quote:
    Blitch, 59, of Clermont, was issued a violation notice and charged with public indecency
    If this case was in the UK the park rangers would have to prove that an indecent act took place, and nudity per se, is not indecent under UK law, therefore the rangers would have to prove that some indecent sexual act took place.

quote:
    It is unclear whether more hikers will follow Blitch's example.
    Errrm, we know different don't we? I think the park rangers would be surprised at how many freehikers there are out there.

Off Topic Warning!!
    quote:
    Earlier this year, the forest service built new bathrooms and a gravel parking lot for Mt. Yonah hikers.

Why they added this last little comment I eludes me, but it raises a question. Why is it you call a lavatory/water closet/toilet/public convinience a bathroom when there isn't a bath in sight? Are you so uptight that you can't use the proper descriptive title for a toilet? Perhaps this explians why nudity is difficult to accept in Uncle Sam's back yard, I mean, if you have to call a lavatory a bathroom what chance is there of getting over nudity.

Just wondered!!!!!!!!

Pete Knight

Comment

quote:

That's quite correct. In the UK, park rangers don't enjoy police powers anyway, so they would have had to call the police.

Although nude hiking would not be "indecent", i.e. a sexual offence, it could certainly be classed as a public order offence - especially if somebody complained and was willing to make a statement.

Stu

Comment

It is unclear under what "misdemeanor" law Mr. Blitch is being charged. He was hiking in the National Forest and charged in Federal Court.

National Forests are typically under joint jurisdiction, so Blitch could have been charged under Tennesee Georgia Law only if he had been "lewd" - not merely nude, and only in State Court - not Federal court. There is no Federal 'public indecency' law to charge Blitch under, so the actual charge must be some variation of disorderly conduct or violation of an Order (not a law). The portions of the United States Code that the Forest Service cites do not deal with nudity, rather they authorize the FS to issue orders concerning reasonable public use of Forest Service land while protecting the environment. The use of these orders by the FS to prohibit access and use of public land has been restricted by the courts in some jurisdictions to only the least restrictive means and under clear necessity as a result of the Forest Service trying to use these provisions to prevent Rainbow Family gatherings (which often include non-sexual nudity). To my knowledge the enforceability of orders against non-sexual nudity in National Forests for people NOT charged under concurrent state laws has not been tested - meaning adjudicated on the appeals level - most people sensibly pay the fine and put the incident behind them.

Here's a pretty good discussion of the current state of law: NAKED HIKING ON NATIONAL FOREST LAND

-Mark

Comment

Tennessee has a law passed in the 1990's making it illegal for a man to have an erection in a public place even if he is fully clothed.
          'Discernible turgidity" is the criterion.

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by Dick Springer:
            Tennessee has a law passed in the 1990's making it illegal for a man to have an erection in a public place even if he is fully clothed.
            'Discernible turgidity" is the criterion.

How absurd, its nigh on impossible to prevent an erection, they happen at the most inconvenient times, but the most interesting thought was, do the police go around looking at mens crotches for evidence of a misdemeanor?

Pete Knight

Comment

quote:
              How absurd, its nigh on impossible to prevent an erection, they happen at the most inconvenient times, but the most interesting thought was, do the police go around looking at mens crotches for evidence of a misdemeanor?

I have to agree about that - it is ludicrous! Erections are often involuntary, and teenage boys suffer most from this phenomenon.

Stu

Comment

Every male teenager would be behind bars.

Comment

Pete:"Why is it you call a lavatory/water closet/toilet/public convinience a bathroom when there isn't a bath in sight?"

I guess it just became so common to refer to the lavatory as a bathroom that it stuck. Although the term bathroom is more generally used for private homes. Usually, the public ones are referred to as restrooms.

Bob S.

Comment

quote:
                    Usually, the public ones are referred to as restrooms.

I had an American friend from Maryland visit me about two years ago, and he actually asked me if he could use my "restroom". At first, I looked at him blankly, wondering if he was extremely tired or something. Then I realised what he meant. It is never called "restroom", "the john" or "latrine" in the UK. We tend to use euphemisms like "the loo" or "the smallest room" or "the little boys' room", or slightly more vulgar terms like "the bog" or "the khazi".

Stu

Comment

Pete & Stu,

In the U.S., "official" (architectural profession) terms are: lavatory means wash basin; water closet means toilet; urinal means urinal (go figure). In public accommodations the room in which you find these fixtures is called a restroom. Some restrooms are designated "uni-sex" but we don't need to open that can of worms.

When I started typing this I think I had some point to make but cannot now remember what it was. Oh well, think I'll head to the Library.

b.l.

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by Stu2630:
                        It is never called "restroom", "the john" or "latrine" in the UK. We tend to use euphemisms like "the loo" or "the smallest room" or "the little boys' room", or slightly more vulgar terms like "the bog" or "the khazi".

Stu

In my experience, most people in the U.K. call it the toilet.

Comment

quote:
                          urinal means urinal (go figure)
                          Or, more specifically, urinal means "urine receptacle."

Comment

quote:

They will to a non-British person, Liam, but native Brits often revert to informal, more colloquial speak when among themselves.

Check out an excellent and, in places, funny dictionary here. Look up the word "loo".

http://english2american.com/dictionary/l.html#loo

Stu

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by Stu2630:
                              quote:

They will to a non-British person, Liam, but native Brits often revert to informal, more colloquial speak when among themselves.

Check out an excellent and, in places, funny dictionary here. Look up the word "loo".

http://english2american.com/dictionary/l.html#loo

Stu

Yes indeed. I should have noted that. Just too lazy to do it right again.

The dictionary is one of my favorite resources. No American should go to the U.K. or Ireland without looking through it.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X