X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal activists plan nude protest in Brisbane - Australia

Animal activists plan nude protest
    Wednesday Apr 26 16:35 AEST
    Animal activists are planning a nude display as a protest against Brisbane hosting a global meat industry congress.

A 40-strong group of protesters from Animal Liberation branches across Australia is set to descend on the Brisbane Exhibition and Convention Centre from Thursday in a bid to disrupt the 2006 World Meat Congress.

The event, which began on Wednesday and ends on Saturday, is being attended by more than 600 members of the global beef and livestock industry.

Animal Liberation NSW spokeswoman Angie Stephenson said activists were setting up banners at the venue and preparing a "surprise" nude display for Thursday and a street march through Brisbane's CBD and inner-city South Bank on Saturday.

She said they wanted to highlight the Australian government's "sanctioning of animal cruelty".

"The meat industry is responsible for the deaths of 50 billion animals each year - many of whom suffer terribly before their premature death," Ms Stephenson said.

"Meat harms human health and ... factory farming is an environmental disaster - we categorically oppose the meat industry's moves to expand."

Meat and Livestock Australia chairman Don Heatley said the event, themed "2020: Meat the road ahead", was a "wonderful opportunity" for Australia to showcase the industry.

He said the event would focus on global trends, innovations and issues affecting the industry and address "consumers, community, supply and trade policy".

"Our priorities are animal welfare and food safety and the global meat trade will do all it can to meet government and consumer expectations in these areas," Mr Heatley said.

©AAP 2006

Animal activists plan nude protest
    Wednesday Apr 26 16:35 AEST
    Animal activists are planning a nude display as a protest against Brisbane hosting a global meat industry congress.

A 40-strong group of protesters from Animal Liberation branches across Australia is set to descend on the Brisbane Exhibition and Convention Centre from Thursday in a bid to disrupt the 2006 World Meat Congress.

The event, which began on Wednesday and ends on Saturday, is being attended by more than 600 members of the global beef and livestock industry.

Animal Liberation NSW spokeswoman Angie Stephenson said activists were setting up banners at the venue and preparing a "surprise" nude display for Thursday and a street march through Brisbane's CBD and inner-city South Bank on Saturday.

She said they wanted to highlight the Australian government's "sanctioning of animal cruelty".

"The meat industry is responsible for the deaths of 50 billion animals each year - many of whom suffer terribly before their premature death," Ms Stephenson said.

"Meat harms human health and ... factory farming is an environmental disaster - we categorically oppose the meat industry's moves to expand."

Meat and Livestock Australia chairman Don Heatley said the event, themed "2020: Meat the road ahead", was a "wonderful opportunity" for Australia to showcase the industry.

He said the event would focus on global trends, innovations and issues affecting the industry and address "consumers, community, supply and trade policy".

"Our priorities are animal welfare and food safety and the global meat trade will do all it can to meet government and consumer expectations in these areas," Mr Heatley said.

©AAP 2006

Comment

BUSHNUD
      quote:

These activists would like to ban humans from eating all meat - I am totally against that.

I do acknowledge that animal libbers have helped eliminate some bad animal handling practices. Animals should allways be treated with care and compassion - but we do need to kill them to eat them.

I think these nude protests are bad for nudism. They tend to sensationalise nudity. Nudity should be seen as normal NOT shocking.

JAMES

Comment

Yes, and nudist and/or nudism factions should distance themselves accordingly. No attempt should be made to associate political protests with nudism, unless that protest is on behalf of nudism. That's not the case here.

Comment

A friend in Brisbane advised me that
          the protester she saw on the local news tonight had on flesh coloured
          undies. She was covered in blood and wrapped like meat in the supermarket.
          Interesting but not a nudist.
          Maybe somebody should have thrown her on an Aussie Barbie ?

Comment

My .02? These are not helping nudists in any way. The ARA's use nudity in thier protests as a way to gain extra attention. It has a real "Skin sells" overtone to it as it would draw those who want to see naked people and could not give two craps about thier message.

Appart from that... don't get me started over ARA phylosophy... to sum it up, it is one group of people attempting to push thier set of morals on other through any and all means nessisary.

Comment

Activists chained to abattoir, near-naked woman in CBD protest

The Courier Mail, Brisbane
              April 28, 2006
              This article from : AAP
              A GROUP of animal liberation activists have chained themselves to an
              Ipswich abattoir in protest against the slaughter of cattle.

Eleven activists from Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne snuck into the
              Churchill Abattoir in Ipswich, west of Brisbane, at about 4am (AEST)
              today and chained themselves up to prevent this morning's slaughter.

Animal liberation campaigner Noah Hannibal said from inside the
              abattoir four of the activists had chained themselves up on the
              killing room floor and seven more were chained to equipment in the
              loading shoot where the animals were stung.

The workers arrived at the abattoir to begin slaughtering the cattle
              only to find the activists in their way.

As Mr Hannibal was being interviewed on his mobile, abattoir workers
              in welding masks were attempting to cut the activists free with
              angle grinders.

"The women chained up are absolutely terrified of the grinders," Mr
              Hannibal said as he yelled at the workers to stop because it was
              assault.

The protest is in reaction to the 2006 World Meat Congress currently
              being held in Brisbane and follows a day of action yesterday in
              which a near-naked woman climbed into a giant meat tray in the CBD,
              threw fake blood over herself and covered herself in plastic.

"We are hoping to draw attention to the cruelty of meat production
              and promote vegetarianism as a compassionate alternative," Mr
              Hannibal said.

"It's unnecessary to eat meat. Not only is it bad for you and the
              environment, it is cruelty to animals."

Police are expected to arrive at the abattoir shortly.

Comment

If the police and their superiors exercise their legitimate duty, the protesters will be facing serious charges of trespassing, breaking and entering, disorderly conduct, obstruction of commerce, etc. I would support the police completely.

Protesters have a right to protest, but only on public property, or their own property. IMHO.

Comment

Anytime I hear "animal" and "rights" in the same sentence, it makes me wanna puke.

Animals have rights to garilc and butter. Sue me!

Comment

Which do you prefer?

Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

or

"...What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

RESPECT

You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of our grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the Earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the Earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves..."

Those who know me can guess my preference.
                    Joe

Comment

And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.Genesis 2:15

The Methodist Church teaches good stewardship of the earth. Stewardship is not well-known in this age of clear-cutting and globalism, but it is a concept with biblical roots.

This is my Father's world,
                      and to my listening ears
                      all nature sings, and round me rings
                      the music of the spheres.
                      This is my Father's world:
                      I rest me in the thought
                      of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
                      his hand the wonders wrought.

2. This is my Father's world,
                      the birds their carols raise,
                      the morning light, the lily white,
                      declare their maker's praise.
                      he shines in all that's fair;
                      in the rustling grass I hear him pass;
                      he speaks to me everywhere.

3. This is my Father's world.
                      O let me ne'er forget
                      that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
                      God is the ruler yet.
                      why should my heart be sad?
                      The Lord is King; let the heavens ring!
                      God reigns; let the earth be glad!

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by missouriboy:
                        Yes, and nudist and/or nudism factions should distance themselves accordingly. No attempt should be made to associate political protests with nudism, unless that protest is on behalf of nudism. That's not the case here.

I certainly agree!
                        Our goal is to return nudity to greater acceptance, not use it as a tool for shock-value for one ethical or political agenda.

Comment

Mix these people:

http://www.jesus-online.com

with

http://www.naturist-christians.org

and you have paradise. :-D

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by OZJames:
                            BUSHNUD
                            quote:

These activists would like to ban humans from eating all meat - I am totally against that.

I do acknowledge that animal libbers have helped eliminate some bad animal handling practices. Animals should allways be treated with care and compassion - but we do need to kill them to eat them.

I think these nude protests are bad for nudism. They tend to sensationalise nudity. Nudity should be seen as normal NOT shocking.

JAMES

These protests also reinforce stereotypes of nudists being social misfits.

Comment

Working...
                            X