Islam Hates Nudity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islam Hates Nudity.

It's not just Christian fundamentalists and puritanical atheists (like me) who are offended by nudity - in Islam it is something detestable. There are 3 million Muslims in the UK and about seven million in America. Somehow, nudists and Muslims must learn to co-exist peacefully in the same country.

Islam hates nudity. The men and women of the most civilized nations in the world today do not feel any hesitation to uncover any part of their body. For all these people, the dress is a means of decoration. In Islam, nudity is an indecency which can never be tolerated by the Islamic Haya. The Holy Prophet said, “beware, never be naked for you are being attended by the angels who never leave you except at the time when you have attend the call of nature or when you go to your wives. Therefore you should feel ashamed of them and have regard for them”. (Al Tirmidhi).
    http://www.islamicvoice.com/april.2003/opinion.htm

Stu

islam & nudity

so we have more to be afraid of, as if we don't have enough against our lifestyle

Comment

I tend to espouse an ethic of "live and let live", so I am not really bothered by the opinions of others so long as I am allowed reasonable accomodation to do my own thing.

Also, it is good to remember that, like in any religion, there are many different interpretations in Islam, and different Muslims have different attitudes depending on how liberal or conservative they are and so forth, as well as the local culture, etc. And don't forget that Islamic civilization gave us the hammam or Turkish bath. I have had wonderful, relaxing times in parts of Morocco and Tunisia where they've never heard of Western-style "naturism" but nonetheless enjoy relaxing in hot water and steam wearing little to nothing. Some hammams, of course, do require at least minimal covering, and most are segregated by gender, so be sure to check on rules, regulations, policies and local customs beforehand.

Comment

Just another reason to wipe islam, and arkansas, off the face of the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Evernude View Post
          It's not like any other religion is any better (though I realise/hope you are being sarcastic)

Comment

Originally posted by Stu2630 View Post
            It's not just Christian fundamentalists and puritanical atheists (like me) who are offended by nudity - in Islam it is something detestable. There are 3 million Muslims in the UK and about seven million in America. Somehow, nudists and Muslims must learn to co-exist peacefully in the same country.

http://www.islamicvoice.com/april.2003/opinion.htm

Stu
            You can't generalize saying Islam hates nudity. You got this source in an opinion article written by Robin Ahmad sourcing Al Tirmidhi. Not all Muslims hate nudity.

Comment

Originally posted by Evernude View Post
              I hope you're being sarcastic.

Comment

Originally posted by todgar View Post
                Also, it is good to remember that, like in any religion, there are many different interpretations in Islam, and different Muslims have different attitudes depending on how liberal or conservative they are and so forth, as well as the local culture, etc.
                Ditto..I grew up surrounded by many with Islamic backgrounds (France). My high school girlifriend was Algerian, and went topfree at the beach, as did many of her friends. I also had an Algerian friend who sunbathed nude, and once did so right in front of me; which refuted the theory that Islamic women have a ghastly fear of nudity.

Algerians, Morroccans and Tunisians are the more "moderate" Moslems, along with many other regions. But the focus has always been on the more fundamentalist branches of Islam; which has led people to assume that nudity is a no-no for all Moslems.

Comment

Of no sursprise

Hello Stu. This should be of no surprise at all considering the civilization we are talking about. As we all know, they have their women cover up almost completely in public by veils. If this is the case, we know darn well they are not going to tolerate any such blatant nudity in their society. I am going to comment on something that all or some of you may already be aware of. Much of the Islam and Muslim nations dislike us intensely due to the many freedoms we have in our country. And in their eyes, we tend to flount them outright and that makes them even angrier. I guess a lot of people would say their are flatout jealous or envious of us. If I am wrong on this subject or if I offended anyone here, I do sincerely apologize. But this is merely my understanding of the situation on this matter.

Ken Palmer

Comment

This article attempts to make a generalization based upon personal opinion and partial information. It is a typical journalist's game of using part of a truth and presenting it as the whole truth.

The real truth is that anyone can conclude anything that they wish from any religion. There are countless examples in life to support this claim.

Comment

Islamic women who are covered.

When we see Islamic women covered from head to toe with loose fabric and sometimes even wearing a vail over their face "so that men will not lust", we know that the religion in their culture would certainly not tolerate their nudity.

Comment

Originally posted by David77 View Post
                        When we see Islamic women covered from head to toe with loose fabric and sometimes even wearing a vail over their face "so that men will not lust", we know that the religion in their culture would certainly not tolerate their nudity.
                        But are all Muslim women required to dress that way or just certain sects? Remember there are still a few very prudish branches of Christianity in which the women wear almost an equivalent level of coverings (except for the face).

Comment

Stu - QUOTE - "Islam hates nudity."

I think this statement is inflammatory, as another post says , not all Islamics hate nudity. In Sydney we have Islamic female lifesavers at our beaches. They wear close fitting head and body coverings (swimmers) and are very capable and do save the lives in the surf of our near naked swimmers.

If Islam hates nudity does it also hate Alcohol ? As Evernude suggested is it "Just another reason to wipe [alcohol drinkers],...... off the face of the earth."

Muslems do not go round trying to ban all alcohol and neither do they have campaigns to ban nudism. So we should not go round criticizing them for their position on how to live. They can live their way and we live ours. Stu's topic just causes crazy statements like "Just another reason to wipe islam,", which may have been said in jest but nevertheless was said. Even in jest it is inflammatory and should not have been said.

Comment

Originally posted by PascoDoug View Post
                            But are all Muslim women required to dress that way or just certain sects? Remember there are still a few very prudish branches of Christianity in which the women wear almost an equivalent level of coverings (except for the face).
                            Some societies and some sects require that women dress that way. Some sects and/or societies are more strict/liberal.

Islam in Asian tends to be more liberal and feel that wearing regular western style clothing is not a sin. Many Islamic people of Asia feel no affinity for the middle eastern fundamentalist beliefs.

In the past, I have had Thanksgiving dinner with an Islamic physician married couple and their family nearby. We had to wait for the sun to go down before we could eat dinner, as it also happened to be the religious holiday for them where they had to fast during the daylight hours.

The wife, a physician herself, stated that it was not a religious necessary to wear what we call "Islamic dress", so she wore western clothing - even when the Imam from Egypt was their house guest, as he did not care. (An Iman is a holy Islamic religious leader).

This woman did not eat dinner with her many guests, and I saw her lying down on a couch in another room, and assumed she was tired from cooking the big meal.

Comment

Thankfully, Christian and Islamic people sometimes go contrary to their religious teaching if their intellect, reasoning, tells them otherwise.
                              I assume that this is why the female Islamic lifeguards (mentioned above) wore close fitting swimsuits.

Maybe my friends, an Islamic doctor couple, drink some wine (against their religious teachings?) as modern science shows that a little wine is good for the arteries. So they use their good judgement, instead of ancient scripture!

Comment

Working...
                              X