X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Would 'God' Do this???

A church has collapsed in Sao Paulo killing 8 and injuring 100:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...1&src=ukyvideo

If 'God' can do this to his own worshippers, doesn't it make you question, just a little bit, if there is a 'God' at all!! It must do, surely??

Epicurus called it the "Problem of Evil":

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then is he malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Only God can answer your question. The rest of us can only speculate.

If I were to speculate, I'd imagine it may have had something to do with the founders being Smugglers.

Comment

Failure of man

I am of mind that this would have been failure on mans part, and not our God. I stand strong on what happens to us as people is not to be questioned,but accepted, though I understand how hard that can be at times, especially to those close to ones they have lost.
        nudeinbama

Comment

Originally posted by London Joe View Post
          If 'God' can do this to his own worshippers, doesn't it make you question, just a little bit, if there is a 'God' at all!! It must do, surely??
          Are you sure they were struck down by YHWH?? Maybe they were worshipping the wrong god.
          Last edited by Skinview; 01-20-2009, 10:29 AM.

Comment

If I were a religious man I would say that god has a plan for everyone, even if that means dying in some horrible way, but I am not so I will not.

If I were an atheist I would say that man created god so that he has someone to blame for is own short comings, but I am not so I will not.

Raised to question everything, I would have to say stuff happens move on.

Comment

I object to the flippant tone.

The church is a short walk from my home, and we heard rescue helicopters all night after the collapse.

The roofing material was replaced in December. It will take some time to know the actual technical cause of the collapse.

On the role of God, the roof fell in ten minutes before the evening service. The tragedy could have been far worse.

The Devil has already made his appearance, in the press, in the form of a carrion-picking attorney, whose work I am familiar with from other tragedies. He is a greater danger to any possible clients than he is to whoever may ultimately be responsible for this tragedy.

- Caipora

Comment

I don't believe in the supernatural, and I have always found it to be doubley silly to believe that if there was a god, it would have to be benevolant. Kids pull the limbs off of insects. Now just scale that idea up a bit.

Comment

The reason why God does not directly interfere in our affairs...

God does not directly interfere in our lives because God granted us something that no other creature on Earth has, intellect and free will. That does not mean that God does not help us; we have be willing to listen to what God is telling us. God is not going to literally talk to us like we talk to each other, but there are signs that seem like coincidence that ends up not being so coincidental. Maybe someone did not heed a warning; some little thing that got blown off because they had "something better to do".

Comment

First off, who said God Almighty caused such an event?

Secondly - and this is a point we so very often forget - we must thank God for miracle of the millions of roofs that did not collapse!

The collapse of the tower of Siloam in Jerusalem, which killed 18 people, in Christ's day prompted similar questions:

Originally posted by The Holy Bible
                    And there were present, at that very time, some that told him of the Galileans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
                    And he answering, said to them, "Think you that these Galileans were sinners above all the men of Galilee, because they suffered such things? No, I say to you: but unless you shall do penance, you shall all likewise perish. Or those eighteen upon whom the tower fell in Siloe, and slew them: think you, that they also were debtors above all the men that dwelt in Jerusalem? No, I say to you; but except you do penance, you shall all likewise perish.
                    Let us get right with God. Today might be the day we meet our Maker.

Comment

A church has collapsed in Sao Paulo killing 8 and injuring 100:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...1&src=ukyvideo

Why are you assuming that God did this to His worshippers? It's interesting how some people look only at the bad things and declare that it's somehow an "act of God," and yet, they ignore all the good things that occur and it does not even cross their minds that God may have had something to do with it.

When I see bad things happen to good people, it's just bad luck, or, more often than not, it's man doing something evil to his fellow man, either through chance, incompetence, or design.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorro View Post
                        Why are you assuming that God did this to His worshippers?
                        Its a very orthodox belief in Abrahamic religions that everything happens according to a plan made by God. I'm sure someone here could cough up a biblical quote to support this. Off hand, the book of Job comes to mind. God and Satan utterly destroyed the property, health and family of Job so the two could settle a bet. The main theme being, you are a pawn, and your life and happiness is trivial compared to what He wants. Just obey.

But thats only relevent if you are a YHWH worshipper. A deist can imagine God to be whatever he wants to imagine He is like.

Comment

Originally posted by CTNudist View Post
                          Secondly - and this is a point we so very often forget - we must thank God for miracle of the millions of roofs that did not collapse!
                          Roofs are supposed to stay up. They are carefully constructed to do that. If I thought it took a miracle for that to happen, I would be sleeping outside tonight.

But hey, if you think roofs stay up by miracles, then why build them in the first place? Just wait for the roof to miraculusly assemble itself. It takes much less effort, and shows much more faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinview View Post
                            Its a very orthodox belief in Abrahamic religions that everything happens according to a plan made by God. I'm sure someone here could cough up a biblical quote to support this. Off hand, the book of Job comes to mind. God and Satan utterly destroyed the property, health and family of Job so the two could settle a bet. The main theme being, you are a pawn, and your life and happiness is trivial compared to what He wants. Just obey.

But thats only relevent if you are a YHWH worshipper. A deist can imagine God to be whatever he wants to imagine He is like.
                            Did God actually do anything to Job? Satan was allowed to do whatever he pleased to him but was instructed to not harm him (Job 1:12) and later, when Satan was allowed to afflict him, he was instructed to spare Job's life (Job 2:6). And it's not like they were trying to "settle a bet" (how does one bet against God Who knows all, sees all, and is all-powerful?), since no money exchanged hands nor did they shake on it. God allowed Satan to do as he pleased in order to prove him wrong. Plus, you conveniently and conspicuously neglected to mention that afterwards, God not only restored everything to Job, God "made him prosperous again and gave him twice as much as he had before" (Job 42:10, NIV).

The main theme is not that we are but pawns, but that, while we may be tested, faith can and will overcome any and all adversities and will be rewarded.

Oh, and if our lives and happiness are trivial and God wanted us to "just obey," He would have created mindless automatons that did just that. He made laws that were to be obeyed, and there were consequences if they were not (gee, funny how human governments do precisely the same thing?), but we otherwise have free will to do what we want.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorro View Post
                              Why are you assuming that God did this to His worshippers?
                              Not at all, I'm asking why your god failed to prevent this happening to his closest followers, the ones that took time out to gather together to worship him in his house, some reward eh!

When I see bad things happen to good people, it's just bad luck, or, more often than not, it's man doing something evil to his fellow man, either through chance, incompetence, or design.
                              Yeah, and when good things happen it's God's good work, looks like it's a win, win, no blame situation for your god then.

Pete Knight

Comment

Working...
                              X