Nudist...exhibitionnist ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nudist...exhibitionnist ?

I have noticed the different levels of nudity posted on this and other viewable nudist sites.

What is your take on nudists being a little bit, or a lot, exhibitionist : in or not a sexual/nudist kinda way ?

I am still trying to figure out where I situate my own comfort level of being photographed nude ( not yet ). Does it matter anyways ?

Re: Nudist...exhibitionnist ?

Originally posted by Montrealluke View Post
    I have noticed the different levels of nudity posted on this and other viewable nudist sites.

What is your take on nudists being a little bit, or a lot, exhibitionist : in or not a sexual/nudist kinda way ?

I am still trying to figure out where I situate my own comfort level of being photographed nude ( not yet ). Does it matter anyways ?
    Exhibitionism is the act of doing something specifically to draw attention to yourself. Nudism is the desire to do spend as much time without clothing as possible.

The two are completely distinct. One can be a nudist and not be exhibitionistic, and one can be an exhibitionist and not be nude. The issue is whether or not, when nude, your behavior is specifically intended to draw attention: whether or not you do draw attention is a separate issue. The intent is what matters.

So, the only nude man laying on a beach full of clothed patrons may be exhibitionistic, or he may simply not care what other people think. Only he really knows.

Comment

I think I know what Montrealluke means. Somehow people can be naked but so modest with it that no-one could possibly be offended. Others can be making an agressive sexual or "in your face" nudist stance by the way they sit naked in the steam room.

I take the view that someone who behaves nude as they would dressed in a naturist environment, even though that may emphasise their genitals or whatever - for example, by bending over - is very relaxed about their body and I admire them for it. I guess that the same sort of behaviour on a nudist, but public, beach may have me thinking of them as being a bit exhibitionistic.

I dunno - maybe I am just confused! Or just thinking too much of what Others Might Think when it really doesn't matter anyway.

Comment

I have to agree with RichO... I find nudism/naturism and exhibitionism mutually exclusive. There are other threads that talk about nudism/naturism and sexuality where I could not make such an absolute statement. But here, I am confident that exhibitionism is not consistent with true, family friendly (whatever adjective you want to use) nudism/naturism.

I started being nude in my home, by myself... in my private yard by myself... other people seeing me was not the point. When I found out there was a local place where I could walk on a beach and swim nude, in nature... I was there. But it wasn't about the public exposure.

Now, there certainly are people there who want you to look and admire... the strutters as I call them. There are people who are there to swing and have fun. I don't know, but I'm doubtful that these people spend as much of their life nude as possible and consider nudism as a lifestyle. Again, I could be wrong, and if so, someone please illuminate me!!!

Comment

It depends on which definition of exhibitionist you use.

If your thinking of a person that deliberatly exposes his/her body and sexual parts for the purpose of sexual gratification. No Nudists don't do that. Yet you may find many people at a nudist venue doing just that.

Organised clubs and resorts generally frown on that sort of behavior. Unless of course they are promoting something other than nudism, and using nudism as a cover.

On the other hand, of course there are nudists that enjoy being in with a group of other nudists. I think of it in much the same way as going to a sporting event or anything that involves being with a crowd of "like minded" people.
          It's certainly more fun to be with people that think and act in ways simular to yourself.

Probably 99% of the time I spend nude is either by myself or with only my wife around me. As much as I enjoy that , I enjoy company even more.

If I am nude in my yard, alone, for 6 hours I'm a nudist.
          If someone happens to drive up unexpectedly in the 7th hour and sees me nude, does that make me an Exhibitionist?

Comment

Originally posted by Nude in the North View Post
            If I am nude in my yard, alone, for 6 hours I'm a nudist.
            If someone happens to drive up unexpectedly in the 7th hour and sees me nude, does that make me an Exhibitionist?
            Nope, in my mind it does not. The difference between nudism and exhibitionism is in the mind of the naked person, not in who does or does not see him/her.

Comment

...What is your take on nudists being a little bit, or a lot, exhibitionist : in or not a sexual/nudist kinda way ? ...I am still trying to figure out where I situate my own comfort level of being photographed nude ( not yet ). Does it matter anyways ?
              To chime in in agreement, exhibitionism necessarily requires a direct psycological link between nudity and taboo/sexuality -- an exhibitionist feels a "thrill" from uncovering themselves because they expect others to have a strong reaction to it. Naturist values and experience unplug the link, so there isn't really much potential common ground. No dramatic invitation to intimacy, no taboo, no audience, no spectacle, no "thrill" (which shouldn't be confused with the normal newbie "thrill of the unfamiliar" when first trying naturism.)

Between naturists, being photographed nude is a totally trivial matter. The snag, of course, is that photos can take on a life of their own and be exploited for ignoble purposes in the context of other value systems. So, the "comfort level of being photographed nude" depends on trusting the photographer, knowing the likely audience, and having some sort of control (permission) over any subsequent use. Since 99% of the photos taken of me don't match my self-image as a rival for George Cluny, I want control but nudity is a consideration too, I guess.

Another muddle is the difference between exhibitionism and narcissism. The former seeks to provoke attention, while the latter merely expects admiration. It is interesting that the antonyms of "modesty" include both "indecency" and "vanity." Exhibitionists usually tire of naturists -- if the naturists don't have them arrested first. Narcissists sometimes tire of inattention, but naturists rarely evict them, preferring to let them help animate holiday parties and talent shows.
              Last edited by Agde; 01-08-2010, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Exhibitionism is when a person exposes oneself for pure self satisfaction with/or without sexual overtures involved. They go out of their way to expose themselves to get a 'thrill'. A nudist on the other hand lives life in the nude, either by themselves or with others involved. They simply enjoy living life clothesfree and perform everyday activities clothesfree. Nudists don't out of their way to let the world see them, but then again, they don't hide either, just as long as they abide by local the laws. Exhibitioinists on the other hand, do have a history of breaking laws such as 'flashing' others (eg.). Just my opinion.

Comment

A nude exhibitionist strongly desires other people to see them and react to them, either positively or negatively.

Nudists don't care if other people see them. They just like to be nude.

Comment

I think a exhibitionist is more the type to surprise people, be nude where it is not really acceptable.

I have a couple of lady friends that openly admit, they like to be seen nude, but they do not get naked where it would shock others. So it is hard to say where the line is drawn. My guess is a lot of it has to do with the place and time.

I have lived in the nude at home as long as I can remember. My windows are well covered and no one can see in. In my opinion, a exhibitionist would allow people to see in the windows. I believe that no one should have to see someone naked, unless it is there choice to do so.

That is just my view of it, I could understand other people thinking differently

Comment

There are many people who will exhibit themselves nude on the modeling stand for an art group.
                      In the many years I have had an art group, an erection on the model is extremely rare. This proves that a person can exhibit yourself in a non-sexual manner. Many models are proud of the good nude body condition they have maintained. I don't blame them as they are entitled to be glad.
                      Last edited by David77; 01-11-2010, 09:36 AM.

Comment

My initial comment may not have been clear.

Let me clear it up ;
                        1° I was in the initial thread post, referring to nudist pictures mostly ; I have not yet permitted myself to be taken in photo, naked, on my own or by someone else ( and I've had many opportunities to do so ).

2° I find myself to be a tiny bit exhibitionist not in the flaunting or illegal/sexual way, but in getting nude quickly on a nude beach way or stripping down on an isolated beach when there are few or no people and just walking about as if "I" was designating it as "a" nude beach.

As comfortable as I am to be nude and don't care who sees me, nudists or textiles, I seem to be drawing the line on photography for exactly the reasons mentioned by Agde on pictures having their own life afterward.

The actual "shot" or picture framing and picture premise, to me, is a personal mystery. ( this is from personal modeling and photography experience ) I see some very straight-up nude pictures and others that are more "body conscious" borderline sexually appealing to me.

That is where I find myself questioning the " exhibitionist" inner thoughts of the "nudist" posing and their journey to that specific picture(s) taking of themselves and the posting of these pictures; not knowing where they would end-up or having an idea and consciously pushing the envelope, that they may end-up on some pervy site. Not generalizing, but I feel that, that is the"exhitionist" side of some nudist, here and everywhere.

Have they gone through this mental questioning that I have and/or what is their motivation for posting nude pictures of themselves.

Then, my last and specific follow-up question on the subject is : what is your reason for posting nude pictures of yourself ?

Comment

Then, my last and specific follow-up question on the subject is : what is your reason for posting nude pictures of yourself ?
                          I'd love to hear this too. If it's a "here I am on my vacation to Orient Beach" it's one thing... but that's not all you see here, so it makes me wonder what the deal is.

Comment

I asked this question several years ago when I first joined this forum, and never got a satisfactory answer.

I am home alone. I am nude for comfort, freedom, and whatever psychological benefits it brings me. My satisfaction with being nude is not contingent on "seeing" or "being seen." I do chores in the nude and forget that I am nude. I, therefore, feel that I am nude for the "right" reasons, and not for any titillation factor.

So, what is it with the pictures? Why would you post pictures of yourselves sweeping the floor, vacuuming, or doing the dishes? We all do it, and we all know how it looks. And, how many pictures of you relaxing on your patios do we need? One would be sufficient. I understand. You enjoy being naked.

But, why do you need to be seen? I honestly think more people enjoy displaying their "goods" than care to admit it.

I don't get it, from people who preach that nudity is "nothing." If it's nothing, why bother to show me?

To borrow an old cliché, "If you've seen one, you've seen them all."

Comment

i posted some pics of myself because you could see a person to a name and you could form yourself a idea how i look and live

Comment

Working...
                              X