Was God nude in Eden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was God nude in Eden?

I just thought of this question recently, and hope it will spur some discussion.
    If Adam & Eve were naked and not ashamed, and since God pronouned His creation was good, there was no need for clothing.
    Also, since God walked among them daily, wouldn't He be nude? Otherwise, A&E would question why He was clothed and they were not.
    Any comments on the subject?

The way I see it, Whenever God appeared before Adam /Eve, he would project the image he would want them to see...after all..it is God. So If he was naked.....they never say..

But did Adam or Eve actually ever see God, or just hear him?

Comment

I can't imagine GOD ever wearing clothes. Why would HE?

Comment

Originally posted by jon71:
        I can't imagine GOD ever wearing clothes. Why would HE?
        Yeah, why would SHE?

Comment

But these days he wears that white robe and sandals...didn't you see that Simpsons episode?

Comment

I feel like a trouble maker here. So, Adam and Eve were real? God came as a person to interact with Adam and Eve? God is Male (deliberately capitalized)?

I have a problem with the whole scenario. The Adam and Eve story is but one creation story. I cannot take this literally because it would create a box of some sort and diminish the Creator.

It is so hard to put this into words sometimes. I don't mean to be quite as feisty as I sound. I guess I am really interested to know if people really believe there were two people named Adam and Eve.

Comment

I do. I question the 4000 B.C. date that you hear about but I do believe that GOD is the author of creation and that Genesis is true. The fundies try to add a lot of nonsense to it bordering on a flat out rewrite at times and that's another matter entirely.

Comment

Naked in Ohio said;
                "since God walked among them daily, wouldn't He be nude"?

jon71 said;
                "I can't imagine GOD ever wearing clothes. Why would HE?"

Bible stories make "God, after the image of man" and not just "man in the image of God". Persons are making God a Superman with extra ordinary senses and capacities like man plus the body of a man.

If God has a body (naked, even) what genitals does he or she have, and does he need these genitals to urinate? If so, he must drink liquids. Does he use his genital for intercourse? Does he have a spleen, upper and lower bowels, appendix. Does his food digest the same and then eliminate?

It follows that he/she must have remarkable ears and eyes as it claims that God hears and sees all. He must have feet as it is said that God walked among them.

In Genesis it says that God rested on the seventh day. This would suggest to some persons that all the creation activity made a need for rest, as he was tired.

All this is called ANTHROPOMORPHIZING, man creating a man-God fashioned after man.

The Greeks made their gods super men and women who even argued among themselves.

My momma told me when I was a child that God was a SPIRIT and had no body. Now my thinking has developed, evolved to much more abstract thinking about this subject - but "to each his own concept".

Comment

As our (Judeo) Christian (Islamic) God was originally depicted as being a supreme, above-spiritual, and originally omnipotent being, then the question itself could be considered as being a bit of nonsense.

He/She/It could also also therefore be considered to be before/above/beyond the mere concept of being nude in his "nakedness" ?

Comment

God is among us daily, every instant of every day. He is invisible but also abundantly obvious all around us.

I really do not think anyone can speculate on how God appear or if He needs or wears colthes. He is the same as us but then again He is very different and that also is very obvious. We as a species have only some attributes the Almighty has. Will we gain more in the next life? Not sure but I expect that to be so. This life is but a stepping stone in our progress thru existance.

Comment

God was very likely naked in Paradise, as Jesus was in the garden after his resurrection. Why did either of them need clothes in these instances?

On the throne, He likely has a white robe on, as beings are depicted in Revelation.

Comment

I do believe this is pointless, as we were not there. Now granted it would have been nice to be as there would have been no clothing police in the perfect place to be.

I do believe God was amoung them in spirit and voice only, as no where in the bible do we find that God was visable to anyone here on earth and it don't matter anyways.

JMHO

Comment

The creator is described in the Bible as having no physical form or body.

References to walking in the garden, or the outstretched arm are allegorical so we can understand it.

As a result, sine the Lord does not have a body; there is no concept of nudity.

Comment

Originally posted by walter05:
                            The creator is described in the Bible as having no physical form or body.

References to walking in the garden, or the outstretched arm are allegorical so we can understand it.

As a result, sine the Lord does not have a body; there is no concept of nudity.
                            Well said. Images of a male god on a throne are anthropomorphizing. It is also making a Santa Claus god. Very limiting frankly.

Comment

Walter states;

If anyone doesn't believe in allegory in the bible (I believe that it is meant as allegory, also), you must accept the fact that God had a girlfriend who was with him at the time of creation, and with whom he liked to share pleasant time.

The story is in Proverbs 8 1-6 and 22-36

The Lord created me at the beginning of his work, the first of his acts of long ago.

23: Ages ago I was set up, at the first, before the beginning of the earth.

24: When there were no depths I was brought forth, when there were no springs abounding with water.

25: Before the mountains had been shaped, before the hills, I was brought forth—

26: when he had not yet made earth and fields, or the world’s first bits of soil.

27:When he established the heavens, I was there, when he drew a circle on the face of the deep,

28: when he made firm the skies above, when he established the fountains of the deep,

29: when he assigned to the sea its limit, so that the waters might not transgress his command, when he marked out the foundations of the earth,

30: then I was beside him, like a master worker; and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always,

31: rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the human race. 32: And now, my children, listen to me: happy are those who keep my ways.

33: Hear instruction and be wise, and do not neglect it.

34: Happy is the one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors.

35: For whoever finds me finds life and obtains favor from the Lord;

36: but those who miss me injure themselves; all who hate me love death.”

Proverbs 8:1-6, 22-36

Comment

Working...
                              X