Any Jewish naturists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Jewish naturists?

Not that I am Jewish. I think the world of all Jewish people throughout the world.

chocolate lover

Not that I am Jewish. I think the world of all Jewish people throughout the world.

chocolate lover

Comment

Off Topic

Is it true that real chocolate lovers like dark bitter sweet chocolate over all the others?

Comment

Oh yes, I love dark chocolate. I hope they have chocolate in heaven, all kinds of chocolate. m m m m m mmmmmmm.....

C L

Comment

Interesting question. I would "assume" (realizing how dangerous THAT is) that the answer would be "yes" as nudity/nakedness was a part of Jewish spiriual life. Before going into the temple to worship, there were mitkvas - ritual purification baths - to take and to be seen by a priest to assure that the worshipper was (1) a member of the faith - circumcised and (2) not "damaged" i.e. a eunnuch - extreme circumcision, I guess. So, from their historical and religious context, I would expect Jewish people to be more comfortable with naturism than some Baptists who require boys and girls to swim in separate pools AND wear swim suits. But I will be interested to see if there are Jewish CFI members who respond. Thanks for posting the inquiry.

You also posted an inquiry about Mormons. And there are a lot of posts about the LDS members and the naturists in the Mormon faith. Now, again assuming, I would think Mormons would have MORE difficulty with naturism seeing as a part of their religious practice as I understand it is wearning Mormon underwear to protect them. What a Mormon naturist does with his/her Mormon underwear is a question. And does being underwearless present a spiritual problem?

Comment

I am 1/8 Jewish, does that count ??

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by codylechien:
              ... Before going into the temple to worship, there were mitkvas - ritual purification baths - to take and to be seen by a priest to assure that the worshipper was (1) a member of the faith - circumcised and (2) not "damaged" i.e. a eunnuch - extreme circumcision, I guess. So, from their historical and religious context, I would expect Jewish people to be more comfortable with naturism than some Baptists who require boys and girls to swim in separate pools AND wear swim suits. But I will be interested to see if there are Jewish CFI members who respond. Thanks for posting the inquiry.

You also posted an inquiry about Mormons. And there are a lot of posts about the LDS members and the naturists in the Mormon faith. Now, again assuming, I would think Mormons would have MORE difficulty with naturism seeing as a part of their religious practice as I understand it is wearning Mormon underwear to protect them. What a Mormon naturist does with his/her Mormon underwear is a question. And does being underwearless present a spiritual problem?

I really wonder where you are getting some of your information. I will fully admit that my knowledge of my Jewish heritage is lacking; but to the best of my knowledge:
              1. The Old Testament had a preoccupation with females on their period and the Mikvah was for washing AFTER the period. To the best of my knowledge, males don't go to Mikvahs.

2. I have never heard of any penis inspections before going to pray.

3. I most sincerely doubt that attitudes towards nudity are no different among Jewish people then any other group. It is absurd to think that just because females might have gone to a Mikvah x amount of generatiions ago the acceptance of nudity has become ingrained.

Comment

I'm Jewish. I would love to meet some other Jewish naturists here in Southern California too!

Comment

When i was young my mother told me again and again that if i don't say anything....
                  nobody will know that i don't have a clue about what we all talk about.
                  As a jewish person you're welcome to stop by
                  Lake-Como family nudist resort in land o' lake florida office on tue. & wed. when i'm at work naked (most shifts) and i'll be glad to talk to you about the subject.

Comment

Our forum member, female, who posts by the name of "Sailor", lives in Isreal and has pointed out the difficulty of nudity in Isreal and the need to be very discrete with the one and only nude beach section. She will probably respond to this post when she reads it and has time.

Comment

Hi all,

I just returned from a vacation in Cap d'Agde and Barcelona. David77, you are right that I am happy to respond now that I am back at my computer.

The use of the mikve is not as common among the Reform and Conservative groups (which make up the majority of American Jews) than the Orthodox, who have held on to many more traditions. Because of that I have not gone myself, but I probably know more about it that some of the non-Jews here.

First, the purpose is for ritual purity. It is used on many different occasions, not just after a period. It is used by both men and women. The observer is not checking penises, he is checking that the individual is going totally under water, including the head.

In many mikves the observer is a woman for women, and the officiating rabbi has his back turned and listens to the description of the submersion given by the female assistant. I have heard of cases where the rabbi himself is the witness, but many would frown upon that, and insist that the women not be subjected to that.

As a side comment on the subject of men using the mikve, if you ever visit Qumran, the ancient village where the 2000 year old Dead Sea Scrolls were found, you will see many mikves in the village ruins. Many scholars believe that this community was ascetics who were very strict in their practices, and that it was only men. Sort of like a big monastary. Modern mikves have a section for men and a separate section for women, or different hours.

As to the original question of are there any Jews on the forum, I have seen comments from many participants indicating that they are Jewish, though I think that Christians are the vast vast majority. The Jewish tradition indicates that people should dress modestly and not expose themselves to people of the opposite sex. Orthodox synagogues even have different seating for men and women, so the men are not distracted in their prayers by seeing the modestly dressed women. So Jewish people have the same hangups as others.

In Israel there is one beach that has a small section set aside for naturists, but it is low key and not advertised. You need to have heard that it is there through word-of-mouth, or you would never know. If it were publicized, it would be forced to close by more traditional elements of the community.

Comment

Dark chocolate loving Jewish convert here.

Bob S.

Comment

As a Christian, I have the highest regard for our Jewish friends and our shared heritage.

I believe that Cheri, who is the founder of Travelites, is Jewish.

She is very articulate and approachable advocate of the clothes-free lifestyle and also a lady with class.

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by P.J.:
                            As a Christian, I have the highest regard for our Jewish friends and our shared heritage.

I believe that Cheri, who is the founder of Travelites, is Jewish.

She is very articulate and approachable advocate of the clothes-free lifestyle and also a lady with class.

Thanks much, J.P. Yes, I am Jewish and am founder/moderator of a Jewish nudists listserv on Yahoo at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jewishnudists in which there are 387 of us registered.

I am active in my synagogue and on the Sisterhood Board as well.

BTW, is there something besides dark chocolate?...One of my favorite foods next to whole cold water lobster.
                            Cheri

Comment

I'm not Jewish (raised Lutheran) but my wife Sue is. However, she's not observant, being a practicing Wiccan. Rather, she considers herself an "ethnic" or "cultural" Jew, part of the part.

Comment

Working...
                              X