Nudity edited out of "Superbook" Adam & Eve video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nudity edited out of "Superbook" Adam & Eve video

I recently purchased several "Superbook" videos off of ebay.com.

For those of you not familiar with what "Superbook" is, here are a few links that contain details on this popular Biblical animated series:

Superbook Watch

Superbook

The first "Superbook" episode to air, the pilot episode if you will, tells the partial story of Genesis with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.

Here is a link describing this particular "Superbook" story:

Adam and Eve

also Adam & Eve

20 second video clip of Adam & Eve "Superbook" story

Here is also a video of the same episode but with a different cover picture on the front:

Different cover

I remember seeing this particular episode when it first aired back in 1982. I don't remember what channel it aired on or even if any particular station ran it, but I remember it being aired. This is how I am aware of the editing.

As far as I can tell and remember, the edited nudity occurs only once. Chris and Joy have just woken up after sleeping the night in the Garden of Eden. Eve and Adam stop by and invite them to have a bite to eat, then "afterwards we can go for a swim." While Adam goes off somewhere in the garden Chris and Joy discuss God with Eve as Chris asks her several questions about how to tell when God is around and who exactly He/She/It is.

After the meal the scene follows Eve as she is "mysteriously drawn to the tree in the center of the garden." She has a conversation with The Serpent, who discusses with her the reasons God told her and Adam not to eat the fruit from it (Because He's greedy and jealous, according to the serpent). The Serpent assures Eve that he's eaten from the tree and lived, so that God's statement of them dying if they eat from it is false.

Gizmo walks nearby and witnesses Eve about to bite into the fruit of the tree. He tries to run to her to warn her to stop but his energy literally winds down (he's run by turning a large key in his back) but before he zonks out completely he sends off a warning flare from his head to warn Chris and Joy of the impending danger to Eve.

Here is the edited nudity. In the original animation, Chris and Joy arrive at the lake in the Garden to go for a swim as Eve earlier suggested. The two of them are alone as Adam is still nowhere to be found. Chris and Joy briefly discuss the water and Chris comments how beautiful and inviting it is. He asks Joy if she wants to go for a swim, and she declines. Chris then strips down and enters the water.

As I recall, it is at this point where the scene then cuts to Even "mysteriously being drawn towards the tree."

We then cut to a frontal shot of Chris splashing in the water, sans clothing (nothing that would be consider explicit is shown). He says something to the effect of "This is great! You sure you don't want to come in?" Joy, seen standing on the shore, smiles slightly and declines. THEN the camera cuts back to Eve talking with the Serpent.

My question is why would this even be edited out? Throughout this episode you see Eve's breasts and buttocks and at one point her pubic region (though again nothing explicit). You constantly see Adam's buttocks and thighs. Also, these are children! Why leave the scenes with Adam and Eve practically untouched and yet edit the children who to most people would seem more innocent than Adam and Eve themselves?

I thought about this for a bit and I could see only a few reasons for it...one being that it came from Japan and there's a stigma that animation from Japan, especially anime such as this, contains tons of nudity that makes no secret about what gets shown or when it is shown. So the editing might be as a result of this stereotype.

Another was that if you took your mind in the right (or in this case, wrong) direction enough, you could interpret Joy's reaction towards seeing Chris completely naked as something sexual. This could result, directly or indirectly (depending on your point of view) of her taking a sort of pleasure in seeing him naked and a possible female domination sense, or maybe even a pedophilic sense if you want to go that way.

Either way, she sees him get undressed right next to her, jump into the lake, splash around for awhile, then get out and get fully dressed again before they go respond to Gizmo's flare. Why the animators and writers chose to animate and write only Chris naked I have no clue -- Japanese religious anime from the late 1970s and early 1980s doesn't happen to be a subject I am familiar on. I can only guess that maybe they didn't want to draw her chest or perhaps that it could be interpreted as more of a sexual sense than what was already in there.

What perplexes me though is that adult nudity is made very obvious throughout the entire thing (it's Adam and Eve -- you can't do much else) but put the children in there and they edit.

There is also a small edit that I noticed when they run to confront Eve after she has eaten the fruit and Adam has arrived to discover her holding the apple. Chris and Joy are running towards the tree and The Serpent comes out of the bushes beside them and stands in front of them open-mouthed blocking their way. In this particular video I have acquired, the cut goes straight to The Serpent in their path. Again, I have no idea why they would edit this out. If not for time, then what reason?

I hope this long post of mine hasn't come across as pedophilic or trolling. I'm legitimately curious why an animated video dealing with Adam and Eve would choose to edit out any nudity at all. The way I see it is why not go the whole way since you've got nudity no matter what you do. And I know I didn't imagine the scene between Chris and Joy when I originally watched this in 1982.

I recently purchased several "Superbook" videos off of ebay.com.

For those of you not familiar with what "Superbook" is, here are a few links that contain details on this popular Biblical animated series:

Superbook Watch

Superbook

The first "Superbook" episode to air, the pilot episode if you will, tells the partial story of Genesis with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.

Here is a link describing this particular "Superbook" story:

Adam and Eve

also Adam & Eve

20 second video clip of Adam & Eve "Superbook" story

Here is also a video of the same episode but with a different cover picture on the front:

Different cover

I remember seeing this particular episode when it first aired back in 1982. I don't remember what channel it aired on or even if any particular station ran it, but I remember it being aired. This is how I am aware of the editing.

As far as I can tell and remember, the edited nudity occurs only once. Chris and Joy have just woken up after sleeping the night in the Garden of Eden. Eve and Adam stop by and invite them to have a bite to eat, then "afterwards we can go for a swim." While Adam goes off somewhere in the garden Chris and Joy discuss God with Eve as Chris asks her several questions about how to tell when God is around and who exactly He/She/It is.

After the meal the scene follows Eve as she is "mysteriously drawn to the tree in the center of the garden." She has a conversation with The Serpent, who discusses with her the reasons God told her and Adam not to eat the fruit from it (Because He's greedy and jealous, according to the serpent). The Serpent assures Eve that he's eaten from the tree and lived, so that God's statement of them dying if they eat from it is false.

Gizmo walks nearby and witnesses Eve about to bite into the fruit of the tree. He tries to run to her to warn her to stop but his energy literally winds down (he's run by turning a large key in his back) but before he zonks out completely he sends off a warning flare from his head to warn Chris and Joy of the impending danger to Eve.

Here is the edited nudity. In the original animation, Chris and Joy arrive at the lake in the Garden to go for a swim as Eve earlier suggested. The two of them are alone as Adam is still nowhere to be found. Chris and Joy briefly discuss the water and Chris comments how beautiful and inviting it is. He asks Joy if she wants to go for a swim, and she declines. Chris then strips down and enters the water.

As I recall, it is at this point where the scene then cuts to Even "mysteriously being drawn towards the tree."

We then cut to a frontal shot of Chris splashing in the water, sans clothing (nothing that would be consider explicit is shown). He says something to the effect of "This is great! You sure you don't want to come in?" Joy, seen standing on the shore, smiles slightly and declines. THEN the camera cuts back to Eve talking with the Serpent.

My question is why would this even be edited out? Throughout this episode you see Eve's breasts and buttocks and at one point her pubic region (though again nothing explicit). You constantly see Adam's buttocks and thighs. Also, these are children! Why leave the scenes with Adam and Eve practically untouched and yet edit the children who to most people would seem more innocent than Adam and Eve themselves?

I thought about this for a bit and I could see only a few reasons for it...one being that it came from Japan and there's a stigma that animation from Japan, especially anime such as this, contains tons of nudity that makes no secret about what gets shown or when it is shown. So the editing might be as a result of this stereotype.

Another was that if you took your mind in the right (or in this case, wrong) direction enough, you could interpret Joy's reaction towards seeing Chris completely naked as something sexual. This could result, directly or indirectly (depending on your point of view) of her taking a sort of pleasure in seeing him naked and a possible female domination sense, or maybe even a pedophilic sense if you want to go that way.

Either way, she sees him get undressed right next to her, jump into the lake, splash around for awhile, then get out and get fully dressed again before they go respond to Gizmo's flare. Why the animators and writers chose to animate and write only Chris naked I have no clue -- Japanese religious anime from the late 1970s and early 1980s doesn't happen to be a subject I am familiar on. I can only guess that maybe they didn't want to draw her chest or perhaps that it could be interpreted as more of a sexual sense than what was already in there.

What perplexes me though is that adult nudity is made very obvious throughout the entire thing (it's Adam and Eve -- you can't do much else) but put the children in there and they edit.

There is also a small edit that I noticed when they run to confront Eve after she has eaten the fruit and Adam has arrived to discover her holding the apple. Chris and Joy are running towards the tree and The Serpent comes out of the bushes beside them and stands in front of them open-mouthed blocking their way. In this particular video I have acquired, the cut goes straight to The Serpent in their path. Again, I have no idea why they would edit this out. If not for time, then what reason?

I hope this long post of mine hasn't come across as pedophilic or trolling. I'm legitimately curious why an animated video dealing with Adam and Eve would choose to edit out any nudity at all. The way I see it is why not go the whole way since you've got nudity no matter what you do. And I know I didn't imagine the scene between Chris and Joy when I originally watched this in 1982.

Comment

Great research!
      Do you know where we can get the original version? Do you have a link?

Comment

Not offhand I don't. I'm sure it's out there somewhere but I'm not quite sure where it would be at. I was just curious why these two edits took place as there doesn't seem to be any reason for them to have occurred. The nudity one I might understand but the other one makes no sense.

Comment

Working...
        X