Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's face the reality that organized religion is the enemy of nudism.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newton View Post
    Perhaps it is all a fluke of history--but then again, perhaps it is not. In a sense, anyone's position on that depends on what they have faith in.
    What religion a person has faith in generally depends on what religion their parents and grandparents had faith in. If you were born in a different part of the world, you might have faith in Hinduism, Buddhism, or Islam.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob S. View Post
      "I acknowledge that there are a few religious belief systems that seem compatible with or even encourage nudism. Jainism and Wicca come to mind, but these are not religions of the elite and powerful, and their character would probably change if they ever did become religions of the elite and powerful."

In other words, Mosquito, what you are saying is that it isn't organized religion itself that is the enemy of nudism but its leadership that makes the rules that must be followed. Mind you, there are nudist church services that exist within nudist parks and resorts, so their organized religion isn't an enemy of nudism.

I actually think aspects of religious tenet follows societies' ways. Nudity was more common in early Christianity, particularly in certain jobs, but over the centuries, as clothing became easier to make and cheaper to purchase, the religious laws had more people remain dressed.

Bob S.
      1. Conservative forces in the political and economic structure will co-opt the dominant religion in any society. Jainism and Wicca escape this by being minor sects.
      2. A nudist park near where I live has a chapel that functions as an independent church. I don't think you will find the Episcopalians or the Catholics opening a nudist church.
      3. Christianity came out of a Judaism. There is no Jewish tradition of art depicting the human body due to the ban on graven images. If Christianity had not overtaken the Greco-Roman gods, attitudes toward nudity in our society might be very different.

Comment

For anyone in need of religious deprogramming, I recommend Christopher Hitchens.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosquito_Bait View Post
          I'm not saying that nudism is fundamentally incompatible with the Bible or any other religious texts. I'm simply voicing my observation that the major organized religions are instruments of the most conservative forces in virtually all societies, and these conservative forces often cloak their objections to nudism in religion.

I acknowledge that there are a few religious belief systems that seem compatible with or even encourage nudism. Jainism and Wicca come to mind, but these are not religions of the elite and powerful, and their character would probably change if they ever did become religions of the elite and powerful.

I try to be tolerant of those around me who delude themselves into believing they have an invisible magic sky friend looking out for them. I realize that some rely on this belief to cope with their life situations. I generally remain tolerant when they talk about their "faith", but my tolerance has its limits. I fully realize these people feel no inhibition in stomping on my rights when they believe their religion tells them to do so.
          I'm not sure whether to laugh or feel sorry for you. If you want to be an atheist that's fine but, don't attack something you don't understand or can be tolerant of. Just saying.

Comment

Working...
          X