Does Religion matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Religion matter?

Does Religion matter if we are good and moral people.I say no. It does not matter if we treat other people by the golden rule.How do you feel on this subject?

Does Religion matter if we are good and moral people.I say no. It does not matter if we treat other people by the golden rule.How do you feel on this subject?

Comment

You are entirely correct! There is no 'best' religion ever. In fact, most religions fall far from the mark on what God expects of us. Some are money mongering education stiffling biggots, but taht is only my opinion.

I said earlier in another thread that the Jews are the chosen people, but Judiasm is NOT the chosen religion! The Jews were chosed where they were the only group that maintained beleif in only one God and they paid due respect to Him and Him only.

Religion has absolutely NO bearing on you. Is only what is in your heart and what are your own true beleifs that are valued as opposed to what ever church you may attend.

Comment

Mother Theresa of Calcutta once said that God doesn't expect perfection, just loyalty. How you best achieve that loyalty would be up to the individual.

Dave

Comment

Spirituality is one's relationship with God, god, gods, nature, the unknown, aliens, etc. Spiritual figures who have provided words printed in Bibles, Korans, science fiction novels, or oral passages have provided, much of the time, simple moral guidelines on how to live the life of a decent person. Religion is when you follow the teachings seriously. Organized Religion (the problem) helps foster guilt and get your money, quite often manipulating the teachings of the spiritual figures.

Religion matters, but to an historically negative effect.

Comment

The following expresses my ideas about religions and my own religion;

http://www.uucqueens.org/sermon_2004-12-19.html

Comment

I agree with others that spirituality matters more than religion. Even athiests have a spiritual aspect to their beliefs.

Your actions are more of an example of who you are than what you believe or where or who you wish to worship.

Does the fact that a serial killer was also a church leader really have any bearing on making him a better person? Does the Rabbi's high position make him holier even though he is also a child molestor?

Religion matters less than personal faith and personal faith matters less than actions and behaviours.

Bob S.

Comment

quote:
                The following expresses my ideas about religions and my own religion;

http://www.uucqueens.org/sermon_2004-12-19.html

Very interesting article. Thanks David for sharing.

Dave

Comment

So why do people get so upset over this subject?

Comment

Why do we start war's over religion? We should beable to talk these things out.Most God's Goddess's are forgiving. So why can't we be more like him/them.

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by GAR:
                      ...It does not matter if we treat other people by the golden rule....

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" -- Jesus (Matthew 7:12)

So that's the Golden Rule. Did Jesus invent it? Depends how you believe... But certainly it is an idiom that is present in present in cultures from Samoa to the Greeks. When observed and valued it makes men greater and society more coheisive.

My opinion is that religion is not the source of the Golden Rule, because the coincidence of all different religions coming up with the same rule would be statistically improbable. I also think that evolution/nature is not the source of the Golden Rule either, since lots of spiders kill their mates and some monkeys rip eachother's testicles off when they fight. Personally I think God speaks to all mankind regardless of their creed. Goodness is something taught, it's not naturally in us...or else we are all just monkeys fighting for bannanas.

Don't confuse God with religion... Religions are just fan clubs worshiping something so big and great that none of them can ever get it right.

Morality matters.
                      God matters.
                      Religion doesn't matter...only to those in their respective rival fan clubs.

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by DoctorSurferDude:
                        Don't confuse God with religion... Religions are just fan clubs worshiping something so big and great that none of them can ever get it right.

I have never seen it said that way, but a fan club is actually a fairly accurate comparison.

Comment

The individual sprituality varys as greatly as does the individual personalitys. If you take even the most devote (religion) person away from what ever scrpture and other influance he/she may be influenced by and then pose pointed questions on what they tryly beleive asking for details you will find many variances from that religous tract.

We do not know the true answer. None of us do nor did any of us ever know! We can only reason within ourselves and hold our findings to be true and even that is subject to change with new revalations.

This is evidenced by examination of every pope that has come and gone. Each has the same basic like but that line will vary to and fro. After all, they also are only a man just like any other and no closer to God than any other where we all search for the truth in our own way. However close we are to that truth we will not know until we meet with Him on entry to the next life.

In general what happens is that people will follow a religion that most closly relates to how and what they beleive. Yet there are eddys of difference, shades of grey in the aspects of what ever religion, if any, they follow.

Again, we do not know. We have some books such as the bible but that was written by many different men and women. Not one word is written by God. There are storys of selected individuals having conversation with God but that is conjecture to a point. Yet the words of such conversations were again written to text by man! And then there are those translations and intrepertations thru the ages that have tainted what was originally produced.

For now all we can do is have faith and beleive as best we can. God is forgiving and knows the vast jello of ideas we face. We are here to learn and learn we must. We may be wrong, but man is falable by nature and makine a mistake is no sin. Is how we recover that may be a problem and even that is open to soft judgement.

We are seperated from being animals only because we beleive in a higher intelligence, our God. Animals cannot conceive of that, but we can. Those of us that do will be given opportunity to learn and grow into the next life.

Comment

quote:
                            We are seperated from being animals only because we beleive in a higher intelligence, our God. Animals cannot conceive of that, but we can.

If we go on the theory that god is whatever is held as the highest, ultimate value, then a dog's beloved owner would be his god.

Please don't take this (line above) too seriously, as it is said only hopeing that it is an interest, stimulus.

Comment

quote:

Well that about sums it up doesn't it! Thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X