Graduate school project, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduate school project, need help

Hi everyone, I am in grad school studying to be a marriage and family therapist. For my culture class, we have been asked to pick a culture that we would like to immerse ourselves in. I would really like to learn more about the nudist way of life. I live in Los Angeles and am wondering if anyone can recommend a nude beach or resort close to my area. Also, if anyone has some time to fill me in on some of the norms, rules, and customs of this culture, i would greatly appreciate it.

Yasmine, welcome to the forums.

Just read through some of the threads here and most of your questions will be answered.

You'll find nudists are no different than any group, we are as diverse as the grains of sand on the beach.

As far as any beach or club near Los Angeles I'll leave that to our California posters, I know there are several clubs but I don't think there are any beaches close by ... of course that would depend on your definition of "close by".

Comment

Originally posted by yasmine:
      Hi everyone, I am in grad school studying to be a marriage and family therapist. For my culture class, we have been asked to pick a culture that we would like to immerse ourselves in. I would really like to learn more about the nudist way of life. I live in Los Angeles and am wondering if anyone can recommend a nude beach or resort close to my area. Also, if anyone has some time to fill me in on some of the norms, rules, and customs of this culture, i would greatly appreciate it.
      You've got several fine clubs near you - Glen Eden in Poway, and several in the Topanga Canyon area -

http://www.aanr.com

Click on "clubs" then click on California.

I must advise you -- many nudist groups do not like their members used as objects of study or research. If you contacted a group and said that you want to come into the group for academic study, it may be enough to have them not welcome you.

I belong to a nudist park that restricts admission to couples and families, and the number one line for unattached males to enter is "I want to check the place out before bringing my wife up." Number two is "I know you don't admit singles, but I'm doing some research."

So *some* groups will be wary of those stating that they're coming out for academic purposes only.

I would go - join in the activity - and once in the group, then "tip your hand" if you are planning to immerse yourself in the culture.

If you just want to learn more, club owners will likely share information with you. And certainly some LA area members in here will as well.

You might also try contacting http://www.aanr.com or http://www.naturistsociety.com

Comment

I'm kind of with usuallylurk on some issues. I would say that usually when you immerse yourself in a culture you don't up and tell them that you're studying them for research anyway. That would kind of defeat the purpose. Just go to a nude beach or nudist resort and have fun. I know of pretty much all the nude beaches in California, particularly the ones closest to L.A. My wife actually wants to try it out when the weather warms up anyway (we're getting married in two weeks and she hasn't tried nudism yet but it up for it) so if you wanted people to go with you I'm sure she would be cool with it. You and her would be in the same boat anyway. Anyway, like he said, most of your questions can be answered by searching through the threads in these forums. I'm sure most nudists on here would love to answer questions too. I'm not sure I fully agree with usuallylurk. I think most people don't necessarily like to be objects of research or "labrats" if you will but most nudists I've encountered (I haven't been a nudist all my life) seem pretty open to answering questions and helping others understand the nudist way of life and thinking. If you're going to do this, truly immerse yourself in the culture and don't study them from the outside but become a part of them. You will probably find that you actually enjoy it and want to keep doing it. That's what happened to me. I wasn't doing research for school, I just got more and more curious until I had to try it and I loved it. Anyway, that's my two cents (or three or four). Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jackjohnsonfann:
          I'm kind of with usuallylurk on some issues. I would say that usually when you immerse yourself in a culture you don't up and tell them that you're studying them for research anyway. That would kind of defeat the purpose. Just go to a nude beach or nudist resort and have fun. I know of pretty much all the nude beaches in California, particularly the ones closest to L.A. My wife actually wants to try it out when the weather warms up anyway (we're getting married in two weeks and she hasn't tried nudism yet but it up for it) so if you wanted people to go with you I'm sure she would be cool with it. You and her would be in the same boat anyway. Anyway, like he said, most of your questions can be answered by searching through the threads in these forums. I'm sure most nudists on here would love to answer questions too. I'm not sure I fully agree with usuallylurk. I think most people don't necessarily like to be objects of research or "labrats" if you will but most nudists I've encountered (I haven't been a nudist all my life) seem pretty open to answering questions and helping others understand the nudist way of life and thinking. If you're going to do this, truly immerse yourself in the culture and don't study them from the outside but become a part of them. You will probably find that you actually enjoy it and want to keep doing it. That's what happened to me. I wasn't doing research for school, I just got more and more curious until I had to try it and I loved it. Anyway, that's my two cents (or three or four). Good luck.
          Yes Yasmine, ask away.

Comment

The best is to of course read this forum but also join a local nudist resort and spend a good amount of time there. You will not only learn about the style at that resort but you will be able to interview those who frequent other resorts and clubs. That will give you the very best indepth information available.

Comment

Originally posted by yasmine:
              What do you hope to get out of the project? And why the nudist way of life?

Comment

Working...
              X