Friends or strangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friends or strangers

One thing that put me off going to a nudist club for a long time was the fear that I would meet someone I knew, particularly somebody from work.

Eventually I went along and needless to say, after many years of naturism, I have never met anyone I know at a naturist club - though I did once meet someone in Paris who I had never seen clothed before !

It seems an irrational fear that many people have - they are happy to be naked around complete strangers but less keen to be naked around people they know. Does anyone know why this is ?

One thing that put me off going to a nudist club for a long time was the fear that I would meet someone I knew, particularly somebody from work.

Eventually I went along and needless to say, after many years of naturism, I have never met anyone I know at a naturist club - though I did once meet someone in Paris who I had never seen clothed before !

It seems an irrational fear that many people have - they are happy to be naked around complete strangers but less keen to be naked around people they know. Does anyone know why this is ?

Comment

Here's one for the books. A friend of mine was at a nudist camp a couple of years back and while spending time there and nude as the day he was born, behind him he hears "Mr Osborne...." It turns out that it was one of his recently former highschool student.

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by Xen:
        [qb]One thing that put me off going to a nudist club for a long time was the fear that I would meet someone I knew, particularly somebody from work.

Does anyone know why this is ?[/qb]
        It's already being discussed here.

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by Stevedaoust:
          [qb]Here's one for the books. A friend of mine was at a nudist camp a couple of years back and while spending time there and nude as the day he was born, behind him he hears "Mr Osborne...." It turns out that it was one of his recently former highschool student.[/qb]
          I think seeing someone i knew at a nudist camp would be great, cause then you have something to share with that person. Then you have someone that shares your views of nudity.

Comment

quote:
            I think that the fear is not so much seeing someone from work. It is would they use the info against you.When in fact, the majority of the time it would form a bond between you.

Comment

How could someone use info against you that THEY saw YOU at a nudist resort? I can just imagine THAT conversation: "You will never guess who I saw at a nudist resort!" Then the other person says, "And what were YOU doing there?"

That's not even a fear with me. Besides, I've told a number of people at work that I'm a nudist and can't wait for warm weather so I can go to Turtle Lake Resort. I've tried to get some of them interested in trying it for themselves to no avail, but I'm not giving up trying. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

posted by Jon-Marc
                quote:
                How could someone use info against you that THEY saw YOU at a nudist resort? I can just imagine THAT conversation: "You will never guess who I saw at a nudist resort!" Then the other person says, "And what were YOU doing there?"
                Good point Jon-Marc, But some people have more to lose than others.

Let's say that person "A" owns the company, or holds a high office, or is the other persons boss.
                Person "B" has a grudge or is trying to get ahead, maybe just wants to cause trouble. What if the other person was not mature enough to handle an issue that is as sesitive as that.

For some it could lead to career suicide.It is not likely to happen, but a valid concern.

Would that not be a valid fear?

Comment

I think the issue is that with a stranger, your first impression of them is as a nudist (if they're clothed, you'll probably never see them again). Now, with someone you know, you've developed that impression of them and perhaps fear that judgement from them.

I think it has something to do with guilt. You might feel totally OK doing something, until somebody you know comes along--somebody who might say you shouldn't be doing what you are doing or see that what you are doing is against the "norm" of what all you peers are doing. Does a person take the "risk" of assuming the other person is doing the same thing?

Fear of what the other person could do with that information makes sense too. You're not thinking of blackmailing/extorting/ruining the other person's life, but are afraid they might do so to you. It's a paranoia. This destroys the logic of thinking of why the other person would be in a position to find out. So many people in this world see it as something so, "out there," that some might be constantly afraid of becoming social outcasts.

Don't mean to scare anybody, just remember they'll seem more harmless if you imagine them in their underwear. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by ercNY:
                    But some people have more to lose than others.

Let's say that person "A" owns the company, or holds a high office, or is the other persons boss.
                    Person "B" has a grudge or is trying to get ahead, maybe just wants to cause trouble. What if the other person was not mature enough to handle an issue that is as sesitive as that.

For some it could lead to career suicide.It is not likely to happen, but a valid concern.

Would that not be a valid fear?[/QB]
                    I agree with ercNY. It's the main reason I have not contacted the non-landed clubs in the area, why I make sure no one sees me naked in my yard, & why I don't post pics. I can think of several people at work who would have a field day if the knew I was a nudist.

Comment

The fear of meeting someone you know at an all nude closed area such a resort is a non-issue. Anyone you meet there is also nude and would be subject to the same problems as you in the outside world. Yes, it is possible for someone to cause a problem but typically people with such personalities would not be attracted to a family resort.

The biggest worry to me would be a vindictive ex who would accuse you of forcing them to participate.

The situation you must worry about is a resort with a clothing optional area or a nude beach that is accessable to people from other resorts.

Several years ago, I was visiting a landed club in Florida. On my second visit I heard a familiar voice yell my name. It turned out to be a current student and her family. At first I was nervious meeting the parents unclothed. However, it turned out the parents were very pleasant and my student and I shared a secret for the rest of the year.

Five years ago we were visiting a Carribean resort that advertised a private nude beach that a part of a public beach area with many beach walkers. We were enjoying the sun and sand. I walked down to the water to cool off and was returning to our chairs when friends from home came walking by. They saw me first and spoke my name. I had no covering so was forced to stand and talk with my clothed friends. My spouse was 20' away and only needed to wave to our friends. Back home, the lady remained friendly and seemed to enjoy checking me out on the beach. The husband was aloof in the future. In fact, one time when we were with the lady alone, she asked several questions about our beach adventure.

Mic

Comment

quote:
                        [qb]One thing that put me off going to a nudist club for a long time was the fear that I would meet someone I knew, particularly somebody from work.

It seems an irrational fear that many people have - they are happy to be naked around complete strangers but less keen to be naked around people they know. Does anyone know why this is ?[/qb]

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by missouriboy:
                          [qb]
                          quote:

Does anyone know why this is ?[/qb]
                          It's already being discussed here.[/qb]

Comment

What is the fear? I have been to a nudist beach, and so far, I haven't ran across anyone I knew, but I ever did, then so be it. Being fearful of friends or co-workers taking notice that you are a nudist shouldn't be af any alarm. After all, aren't they also nude? And if not, then why are they in a nudist atmosphere? Gawking maybe? You can then turn the tide and ask why are they "just looking around"? For pleasure or is it for their next chapter, in the not-yet-published novel?

At first, I was a little uneasy about the same thing, what if I saw someone I knew. But then I realized, they are also attending the same beach, so why are they any different? After a while, it didn't take long for me to put these fears to rest, and enjoy what I was sent out to do, to be naked and enjoy myself.

Comment

quote:

It seems an irrational fear that many people have - they are happy to be naked around complete strangers but less keen to be naked around people they know. Does anyone know why this is ?[/qb]
                              have you ever heard the old addage,"you'll never meet anyone worthwhile in a bar" just remember you are in there and take it from there, the same with a nudist resort, or even this site, what would you say when you go to work and someone says hey I saw someone in a nudist site that reminded me of you, first of all would he mention it at all, secound if he was there what was he there for "the pictures" so who's the bad guy. I think you are safe

Comment

Working...
                              X