How often is it all about “the tan”?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often is it all about “the tan”?

I guess you’d consider me a recent convert and I have to say that I’m enjoying it immensely. I gave it a try for the first time at a beach near here a few months back and found it to be loads of fun. I’ve made several subsequent return visits and even dropped in on an open house that a club in the area had (I plan on making a return visit and joining if things work out).

I don’t go because I’m looking for a tan, in fact that’s one of the farthest things on my mind as I slap on the SPF 45. I go because I find the experience relaxing and a great stress reliever. It’s great to unwind with a book or just to stroll along the beach for a bit enjoying the afternoon.

I’m kind of curious as to what percentage of people approach nudism with this same mindset. Perhaps a majority approach nudism this way but the tan is a welcome byproduct?

I guess you’d consider me a recent convert and I have to say that I’m enjoying it immensely. I gave it a try for the first time at a beach near here a few months back and found it to be loads of fun. I’ve made several subsequent return visits and even dropped in on an open house that a club in the area had (I plan on making a return visit and joining if things work out).

I don’t go because I’m looking for a tan, in fact that’s one of the farthest things on my mind as I slap on the SPF 45. I go because I find the experience relaxing and a great stress reliever. It’s great to unwind with a book or just to stroll along the beach for a bit enjoying the afternoon.

I’m kind of curious as to what percentage of people approach nudism with this same mindset. Perhaps a majority approach nudism this way but the tan is a welcome byproduct?

Comment

I consider that I had a successful summer if I end up a very light beige. I am an SPF 30 man myself (SPF 45 on my face, neck, shoulders and recent surgical scar). It is definitely not for the tan.

In fact, if it is proven that sunscreen does not protect against skin cancer, I will probably switch to more indoor nude swims with a local club and cut my beach trips back to almost nothing. I must admit though that just lying in the sun is very relaxing indeed.

Comment

I went through a phase when it was all about the tan and how dark can I get. Not a good idea I know, esp. since I am of Scandinavian descent. I now know better and use SPF 30 or greater and a wide brimmed hat and sit in the shade as much as possible. I still get a light shade of tan and my face will sometimes get sun burned. I enjoy the feelings of the sea sun and sand I just use common sense to avoid too much sun.

Comment

Hey Midnite Rider,

Congratulations on your conversion. Nudism is all about mindset, as is Life.

Once upon a time everybody went strolling down the beach or rivers edge nude. Long before the nude beach controversies over Playalinda and Apollo beaches in Florida, the natives of the area went nude on the beach. The Aborigine of Australia were unclothed, as were so many of the "primitives" of Africa.

Mankinds history goes back at least 40,000 years (Australian Aborigine are oldest -barely- surviving culture nowadays). Of those 40,000 years, how many have swimsuits existed?? A small fraction at best.

Point is, the relaxation and stress relief you enjoy is the way you are supposed to feel. We are actually natural born nudists (just look at children for an example). Somewhere someone told us it wasn't right. Perhaps your mindset an indication of your body and soul saying, "yeah, this is the right way to be."

And after leaving a nudist beach or club, I am in an utter state of Zen . . . . beautiful, ain't it??

Comment

yes! being nude is a stress releaser and with friends it's even greater! you'll find that people are more accepting and easier to talk to in a nude social atmosphere! i had the pleasure of finding this out!!

Comment

For me it is certainly not the tan. The best I can do is let my freckles grow together.

Comment

For me it is the way the air feels so natural all over your body. The total tan is a bonus as I have all different lengths of short with the running shorts and Speedo’s so it is really nice not to have any tan lines. The total tan also helps to camouflage the scares. No one at any CO beaches or nudist resorts have ever mentioned them but a lot of textiles have. Is it just me or do the textiles seem to me a little bit rude about body acceptance?

HairyHomer

Comment

It never really started out about "the tan." In the beginning, I could lay out for hours in the backyard and bake in the sun. My wife would spend a couple hours out there with me but since she has much fairer skin, she wouldn't stay out in the sun as long.

Nudism for us has always been about stress relief, relaxation and just the dislike of wearing clothes. As time would have it, all that sunning took it's toll on my wife's skin and now she must discontinue baking in the sun and limit her time in it. Although this does affect our social time, standing out in the open and socializing, we're determined it will not deter our nude time. We will just look for shade and when there is none available, we will be nude and socialize in the shade or inside when we have to.

This new development in our lives was a slight set back but has only forced us to find alternatives to being nude in a social setting without the sun. It's entirely possible and we are determined to continue our nudist lifestyle despite the sun.

Comment

I'll admit I enjoy the tan, but it's most certainly NOT "all about the tan" for me. The underlying philosophy and the benefits of being able to understand many things, including if not especially that a body is a body and to truly accept that and see the wonder and beauty in it, is what it's really all about to me.

Congratulations on your conversion,

Comment

The feel of the sun on my body is a big attreaction,however the freedom is the main attraction.getting the tan is a bonus.

Comment

As I tan easily, the outdoor work develops a nicely brown exterior. I have to say it is all about the freedom and not the tan. I like the sensaation of the breeze, sun, water, etc over the whole body. I can not abide with just laying in the sun.

Comment

No tan here, strictly a "45" guy.

Comment

Interesting question. I tan very easily, whereas my wife, hw, is fair skinned and doesn't tan as easily. I like the tan I can achieve, but I do not get nude JUST for the tan. As stated, it feels much more better without any clothing.

I feel much more at ease and less stressful. This past weekend, I was able to be nude almost 24/7, so I was able to do all kinds of activities (no kids).

Very interesting. Thanks for bringing up the subject. I, at first, thought that getting a tan was the main reason people preferred to be naked, but after time, I found out it was because nudists prefer not to wear anything, no matter what the occaision was.

Comment

I do not lie in the sun for hours at a time trying to get a deep dark tan.

However, I enjoy being nude outdoors, so I prepare my skin for outdoor activity by 20 minutes of nude sunning on a regular basis. (Ten minutes on my back, ten minutes on my belly).

I accomplish two things:
                              1. Make vitamin D for my health
                              2. Prevent dangerous sunburn by conditioning my skin with regular exposure to the sun for short periods of time.

If I erase my tan-lines in the process, that is great, but not my primary goal.

Comment

Working...
                              X