Sapporo Naturist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapporo Naturist

Actually, I'm just introducing myself. I life in Sapporo, Japan and have done so for the past 11 years. The way to be a "naturist" here is to visit hot springs and public baths where public nudity is the norm. Nudist beaches, however, don't exist and that's a real downer. A buddy of mine and I have gone skinny dipping at a couple places but that's the extent of that. Anyway, if there are any Sapporo residents interested in naturist hiking, hot springing and/or trying to set up our own natuirst club, contact me. -- Rob

Actually, I'm just introducing myself. I life in Sapporo, Japan and have done so for the past 11 years. The way to be a "naturist" here is to visit hot springs and public baths where public nudity is the norm. Nudist beaches, however, don't exist and that's a real downer. A buddy of mine and I have gone skinny dipping at a couple places but that's the extent of that. Anyway, if there are any Sapporo residents interested in naturist hiking, hot springing and/or trying to set up our own natuirst club, contact me. -- Rob

Comment

Rob,

I replied to your post before but it's gone now - strange! Anyway, I lived in Sapporo for two years (three years ago) and loved the place - many happy memories.
      What have you been doing for 11 years there?? You must know the susokino well !!

I am now back in the UK with my Japanese wife (married soon after our return) and really miss the food, countryside, people and especially onsen of Hokkaido.

Max

Comment

Welcome to the board, Rob. However, this is the US board. You may be more successful if you toss out the friendship line in the International Board, which is just below this one.

Anyway, good luck in finding others who share your interests.

Bob S.

Comment

I had heard that the Japanese have a relaxed attitude towards nudity was was surprised to read recently that the famous nude park called the English Garden in Munich in Germany was having problems with groups of Arab and Japanese tourists comming to gawk at the naked sunbathers.

Would be interested to hear what the attitude to nudity really is, for example is it common to go naked at springs and baths, does everyone do it or only some people, do people go with friends and family and is it mixed or single sex ?

Also what is it like to be the only nude Westerner in a bath full of Japanese ?

Hope you find some naturist mates in the meantime.

Comment

Xen,

The Japanese attitude to social nudity is very relaxed and right from a very young age bathing in hot springs is encouraged - it is a national pastime. However, this is definitely based on single sex facilities. There are few mixed baths and those that usually require suits to be worn by all. A very few can be found up in the mountains which are open to all.

Before WW2 mixed bathing used to be the norm but the influence of the American occupiers on the country changed attitudes radically.

When I used to go I had a few odd looks from the Japenese men but generally they enjoy seeing westerners cringe at the water temp (hot!!) and make people welcome. More often though nothing is said and each person enjoys the experience on their own.

There is nothing quite like sitting in an outdoor hot spring (called a rotemboro) while the snow is falling all around and you are sipping a beer or some sake. Some of the best memories of my life !!

Max

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by MaxUK:
              [qb]Xen,

The Japanese attitude to social nudity is very relaxed...Max[/qb]
              Hi Max

It's great to see that the Japanese retain a relaxed attitude towards communal nudity, even if this is generally restricted to single sex situations. Very different to the UK where increasingly even single sex communal nudity seems to be frowned upon, with changing rooms either being mixed, hence having to shower in swimming costumes, or having shower stalls.

The American attitude towards nudity has always intrigued me. From my limited experience of America and Americans people seem to be totally relaxed about single sex nudity and changing rooms always have communal showers - but in sharp contrast there appears to be no interest in taking the logical step forward and being fully naturist. Don't know if this is just my experience or is general ?

Xen

Comment

Men's showers in America are always communal.

American women's showers, as I understand it, at least, are many times or most times, shower stalls.

Are the men relaxed at communal showers? It seems that men are relaxed at the shower, nude (and a warm showering after a workout makes them even more relaxed).

Comment

Xen,
                  Now to try to respond to your wondering why it would not follow logically, that more men in America, who are accustomed to showering nude in communal showers, do not also attend nudist resorts.

Since we do not know the answer, I believe that a reliable research team might explore the question as to whether or not there is any correlation between men showering nude in communal showers and their willingness or desire to attend nudist functions.

We can, however, say that there are more men than women willing to attend naturist resorts. There are undoubtedly several reasons for this difference, and one small factor MAY be their having become accustomed to communal nude showers, but I am not sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X