New Nudist Group for Southern California Young Professional Adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Nudist Group for Southern California Young Professional Adults

My husband and I have been nudist for a couple years now and we have become aware of a serious issue with relation to nude resorts and beaches, i.e. not finding anyone our age participating in nudist activities...so we started our own group. If you are 21 - 40 years old, a couple or individual who enjoys nude recreation and travel, or has always been interested in trying it but never felt comfortable, come check us out. We are a really great group of professional young adults with busy lives and careers who meet regularly to socialize, network and just forget about our daily lives for a while. We are looking for unique individuals and couples who enjoy the camaraderie that the life-style provides.

While we believe that all people have the right to enjoy nudism and the freedom, friendship and self-confidence that it brings, we have found through our travels that there is a shortage of young adults that participate in these activities. Whether it is because of a lack of awareness, concern of social taboo, assumed pressure of unwanted sexual advances, or perhaps simply a fear of being exposed in front of others, nude resorts, beaches and travel destinations today has been relegated to a segment of society to which young adults simply do not relate.

Our group, through affiliation with other like-minded organizations, is changing this through planning gatherings and retreats in an effort to provide a safe and fun environment for young adult nudists. By providing networking opportunities and support, our members are given the ability to meet and enjoy each other's company in a new way.

We are not a dating service or a swingers club. Persephone is simply a place where young, professional adults who are nudists or curious about nudism can get together on the same page, relax and have a good time. Activities include regular club meetings and networking events at various locations hosted by board members, excursions to local resorts and beaches and annual trips to amazing locations around the world.

In order to be considered for acceptance to Persephone Club, you must:

- be a nudist or interested in participating in nudism, nude recreation and nude travel;

- be between the ages of 21 and 40 (our excursions require that you be over the age of 21);

- be able to bring a varied professional perspective (this requirement is a deliberately vague as we value the diverse accomplishments of our members and ask that our members share their expertise with other members as a networking tool);

- be surreptitious (our members are to maintain anonymous outside of the club);

- be willing and able to provide support to the club and its members

If you are interested in joining, please email us at [email protected]. Tell us a little about yourself, your background and experience and your reasons for wanting to join. We also ask that you provide us with a picture (not a nude photo please). You will receive a response shortly with further information about membership and an upcoming meeting schedule.

We are now accepting new members!
    email: [email protected]
    Last edited by persephoneclub; 02-17-2009, 10:16 PM.

Goodness! Nothing like blatant age discrimination in the year 2009!!! And to send a photograph? It feels like going back to the 1950s where photographs had to be attached to job applications for employers to determine what race you were.

Comment

I appreciate your response

Moonshadow:

I appreciate your perspective, but I have to respectfully disagree with your approach to answering my post. I feel as is you are attempting to put a negative spin on something positive as we are attempting to increase awareness and participation of nudism and nudist activities in younger generations, thereby maintaining the lifestyle for the future. I don't know whether or not you participated when you were younger, however the number of active nudists in the age range of people we are attempting to reach is dwindling, especially in the US. We feel as if this is a very sad situation and we are going to be active in attempting to rectify it. I hope that people are able to look beyond themselves and their assumptions and look at what we are doing as a positive for the community as a whole.

It is my hope that you and others that may share your viewpoint will adjust their mindset and help in their own way to make this lifestyle available and desirable for young adults to participate. Thank you!
      Last edited by persephoneclub; 02-17-2009, 10:14 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Perhaps, perhaps, you think what you are doing is in the positive. But nothing done which discriminates against another group of people is done in the positive. There should be no reason(s) why you cannot start a club/resort and include all people of all ages. Further the fact you want a photograph is very suspect. What other parameters will you use to accept or decline members?

Please explain to me, why someone who knows what discrimination in many areas is all about should adjust our mindset to promote age discrimination? Please explain to me how eliminating anyone over 40 is going to build your nudist mass? Please explain how you will handle those members you do recruit who then turn 41? And just how do you plan to promote anyone who turns 41 to continue to enjoy nudism when your own organization doesn't want nudists over 40?
        Last edited by MoonShadow; 02-18-2009, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by persephoneclub View Post
          It is my hope that you and others that may share your viewpoint will adjust their mindset and help in their own way to make this lifestyle available and desirable for young adults to participate. Thank you!
          An interesting statement here.

Adjust my mindset and help .....

I have been an active and practicing nudist for 40 years and throughout those decades have always promoted nudism to all (not just certain individuals, but to all). In order to change the "mindset", "outlook", "perspective" of people to try nudism is to promote in the positive at all levels, to all people, regardless of age, sex, or race.

Many resorts today offer young people a lot of interests at their resorts and many others are beginning to offer interests to younger people. These resorts are actively recruiting younger members as they should be but they are not excluding people due to their age. Thankfully, so.

We should be beyond discriminating among people under the disguise we are doing someting "positive". There is nothing positive when certain members of our society are excluded from an activity, event, or lifestyle.

Comment

Moonshadow is doing a great job of expressing a few doubts...so I hate to pile on...but I have to jump in here with a few of my own.

Why didn't you include your website www.persephoneclub.com in your invitation...and what's with the somewhat lecherous artwork on your masthead...or am I just reading something that's not intended into your appreciation of old masters?

When I googled Persephone Club I found a site on MeetUp.com that's in El Segundo as your post indicates you are. If you and your husband are starting this group, why does MeetUp show your club as having one member?

Since, as Moonshadow points out, you want a picture of prospective members...why don't you have an avatar with your photo here on CFI...or is that you slinking in the sand and waves on your website?

In the "About Us" section of your website you say:

"Our members are not what you might think of when you picture nudists. We are all successful, driven young men, women and couples who find value in the opportunity to get away from the limitations, frustrations and gamesmanship of our work lives and businesses, and put it all aside to be our true selves in a friendly and accepting environment. Apart from nudism, our members are genuine and unique."

I really have to ask...what do YOU think of when you picture nudists? I've been a nudist since I was 13 (I'm 61 now) and I've met a few nudists along the way. We might be picturing nudists very differently, for some reason.

Will there be any pretensiousness among all of your genuine, unique, young, successful and driven members?

And...wrt your last sentence...WTF? Do you think nudism somehow makes a person not genuine and not unique?

Are you aware that "surreptitious" means furtive, clandestine, stealthy, underhanded? Or do you think it's a synonym for "anonymous"?

What does it cost to join PersephoneClub?

Will you collect travel agent commissions when your group goes on the "excursions" you're advertising?
            Last edited by Navigator; 02-18-2009, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Persephoneclub, there's nothing wrong about promoting affinity groups, young professionals are an interesting target group, and the website is very elegant, but its perhaps good to get this kind of early feedback to refine your pitch. Utlimately, your core group, and then your activities will be what attract and hold the kind of participants you're seeking. Meantime, a little editing might "help" emphasize the "affinity" aspect and soften the currently over-sharp "age discrimination" edge. Although I am no longer a "young" professional, most of my close American friends are, so I understand where you are coming from and the need for activities that work well with "busy lives and careers." At the same time, you'll be surprised how fast 40 comes, and also maybe how many of exactly the type of people you want are either close to, have just missed, or in the case of couples span your age cut. People understand "young professionals" as an affinity group without needing the explicit hard ceiling.

(you probably mean "discreet" not "surreptitious")
              Last edited by Agde; 02-18-2009, 11:04 AM.

Comment

As someone who is trying to look at Persephone with an objective perspective, the first thing that comes to mind after viewing their website is that they appear to be some kind of secretive and exclusive high class 'socializing' service open only to the 'select few'. How does this promote nudism in a positive way when it promotes nudism in a very secretive and exclusive manner that is open only to those who meet certain high standards (no doubt including body and face image)? Too much appears to be 'hidden' behind 'closed doors'.

A young adult (ie 21 to 40) who is sincerely interested in nudism would have a much better chance of meeting other young adults at venues such as Glen Eden or Blacks Beach (along with every other age group too!). Granted that there may not be huge numbers of young adults at these venues but there certainly are some and those that you meet are for the most part guaranteed to be legitimate nudists.
                Last edited by Sanslines; 02-18-2009, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Sorry, but having spent the week networking and being aware of my social status, the last thing I want to do in my precious free time is to network and be constantly reminded of my social status! Reading other threads, most people seem to enjoy naturism because it allows one to relax, and because when we are all naked we are all the same. This club appears to fly in the face of that. This may be a courageous way to attract younger people, but it would not be for me. At 43, I am too old anyway.

By the way, where do all of these young up-coming naturists keep their business cards for networking anyway? And how do you reconcile networking with being surreptitious at the same time?

Comment

Response to all

I really appreciate all the discussion, both positive and negative, regarding the website and the club in general. I have read and taken into consideration your varied perspectives and will be making adjustments as I see necessary. Obviously, we are not for everyone, nor was it our intention to be. We are designing a place and a group where people who are like us can get together, so that we can relate with each other on the same page. We are not looking to make everyone happy, nor would we ever be able to. But, we are able to provide a unique environment for those people who do appreciate the intention of the group and find value in the opportunity to meet like-minded people like them.

I do have to say with regard to discrimination, that we are all naive to think that discrimination is not going on in just about every avenue of our lives and a lot of the time it is not negative. We choose our friends based on our ideals and interests. We are selective about our work and careers based upon our knowledge, personality, desires and needs. We are allowed to vote, drink, drive, join the military and many other milestones in our lives based solely upon our ability to be alive long enough to reach the appropriate age. Is this discrimination, yes, but is it done with a positive intent? That's debatable I suppose.

Another point I would like to address is yes, we are somewhat secretive. It is unfortunate that in our society we have to be this way, however people outside of the community will judge and impose their negative perspectives on members of this group and others like it simply due to their affiliation. We are not saying anything that you don't already know. However, being in the community from an early age or for many years, you may be somewhat biased or otherwise disassociated from how 'regular' society may view nudists. Again, this is not the way we would like it to be, however, we didn't create this environment, yet we are required to live within it's boundaries while attempting to create change the best way we know how.

Is our website perfect... no. Is our group elitist... maybe. We want the best people to join that we can. That means people that best fit our group ideals. If that is not you, that's fine. We don't want you to be upset that you are not able or willing to be a part of the group. But we are asking that you recognize that for every company, club, family or group of friends, there are requirements for acceptance. This group is no different, nor is it going to apologize for it as we believe the purpose and the intent is positive, and the members we have are unique and truly wonderful young adult nudists.

Comment

Good idea, well done

Comment

Personally, I would join in a heartbeat if I was in Cali. I wish there was a group like this in my area because I would be all over it. This sounds like it would be right up my alley; a great place to meet people like me and have a great time. There's a lot of talk amongst the younger crowd who is looking for a group where the average age range is between 19 and 35, and the activities are more active. Well here is that group. As for discrimination, yeah you're right. Just like everything else in the world that is aimed at a specific audience, and appeals to that target audience only. 21 year olds do not want the same thing 61 year olds do, simple as that. Discrimination is not the correct word, 'target demographic' is what you were actually looking for. I'm excited to hear that groups like this are forming.

Comment

Originally posted by persephoneclub View Post
                          My husband and I have been nudist for a couple years now and we have become aware of a serious issue with relation to nude resorts and beaches, i.e. not finding anyone our age participating in nudist activities...so we started our own group. If you are 21 - 40 years old, a couple or individual who enjoys nude recreation and travel, or has always been interested in trying it but never felt comfortable, come check us out. We are a really great group of professional young adults with busy lives and careers who meet regularly to socialize, network and just forget about our daily lives for a while. We are looking for unique individuals and couples who enjoy the camaraderie that the life-style provides.

While we believe that all people have the right to enjoy nudism and the freedom, friendship and self-confidence that it brings, we have found through our travels that there is a shortage of young adults that participate in these activities. Whether it is because of a lack of awareness, concern of social taboo, assumed pressure of unwanted sexual advances, or perhaps simply a fear of being exposed in front of others, nude resorts, beaches and travel destinations today has been relegated to a segment of society to which young adults simply do not relate.

Our group, through affiliation with other like-minded organizations, is changing this through planning gatherings and retreats in an effort to provide a safe and fun environment for young adult nudists. By providing networking opportunities and support, our members are given the ability to meet and enjoy each other's company in a new way.

We are not a dating service or a swingers club. Persephone is simply a place where young, professional adults who are nudists or curious about nudism can get together on the same page, relax and have a good time. Activities include regular club meetings and networking events at various locations hosted by board members, excursions to local resorts and beaches and annual trips to amazing locations around the world.

In order to be considered for acceptance to Persephone Club, you must:

- be a nudist or interested in participating in nudism, nude recreation and nude travel;

- be between the ages of 21 and 40 (our excursions require that you be over the age of 21);

- be able to bring a varied professional perspective (this requirement is a deliberately vague as we value the diverse accomplishments of our members and ask that our members share their expertise with other members as a networking tool);

- be surreptitious (our members are to maintain anonymous outside of the club);

- be willing and able to provide support to the club and its members

If you are interested in joining, please email us at [email protected]. Tell us a little about yourself, your background and experience and your reasons for wanting to join. We also ask that you provide us with a picture (not a nude photo please). You will receive a response shortly with further information about membership and an upcoming meeting schedule.

We are now accepting new members!
                          email: [email protected]
                          While (as a young adult) I agree with your perception that young professionals aren't as active in the lifestyle as other age groups, I highly doubt you will have much success if your ultimate goal is gaining a bigger nudist following in the younger generation.

This is mainly because younger people aren't into groups as much. We're just not all that enamoured (in general) with the idea of having an "-ism" attached to us. A quick political survey of people in my social circle reveals that many people classify themselves as "other" now.

A quick survey of high schools and colleges reveals that people are much less about cliques or identifying with a single group than they have in the past.

I do wish you all the success in the world though. I would give anything to see more people my age into nudism and the body acceptance that comes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by nakedstudent View Post
                            This is mainly because younger people aren't into groups as much. We're just not all that enamoured (in general) with the idea of having an "-ism" attached to us.
                            Agreed, and this has been discussed in another long thread already. But I would still be interested, maybe because it is run by people my age, or maybe I'm just that desperate to see more young people involved in the lifestyle. Either way, something about this appeals to me and I think it's a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by enertronik View Post
                              Agreed, and this has been discussed in another long thread already. But I would still be interested, maybe because it is run by people my age, or maybe I'm just that desperate to see more young people involved in the lifestyle. Either way, something about this appeals to me and I think it's a great idea.
                              That is indeed the other wildcard. If you can find enough young people into the lifestyle in a concentrated area, things would probably be different as well.

Like I said, best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X