any comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any comments?

I wrote this to my university magazine. I know I'm not a good writer, but any other comments?
    cheers
    Dom

What do uni student?s think of naturism? Is it dirty? Amusing? A great idea?!
    Naturism, or ejoying spending time in the nude, seems to be stigmatised in Britain, but with Portsmouth?s sunny location and beautiful beaches (hummm?), I would have expected for there to be a society for naturists (often a swim at a pool afilliated with CCBN or in the summer to a beach). Although at first sex may come into many people minds when they consider naturism, let me assure you; sex is not the motivation for naturists (except the very few), nor is body image ? quite the opposite. Being free, relaxed and happy would be at the top of most naturists lists, although a full body tan and enjoying the safe atmosphere of a naturist group on the beach motivates others. Either way, not enough students are giving it ago. A national group called YBN organises events across the country and in europe and is closley affilliated with britians main naturist orgainsation, so have a read on the web and give it a go!

I wrote this to my university magazine. I know I'm not a good writer, but any other comments?
    cheers
    Dom

What do uni student?s think of naturism? Is it dirty? Amusing? A great idea?!
    Naturism, or ejoying spending time in the nude, seems to be stigmatised in Britain, but with Portsmouth?s sunny location and beautiful beaches (hummm?), I would have expected for there to be a society for naturists (often a swim at a pool afilliated with CCBN or in the summer to a beach). Although at first sex may come into many people minds when they consider naturism, let me assure you; sex is not the motivation for naturists (except the very few), nor is body image ? quite the opposite. Being free, relaxed and happy would be at the top of most naturists lists, although a full body tan and enjoying the safe atmosphere of a naturist group on the beach motivates others. Either way, not enough students are giving it ago. A national group called YBN organises events across the country and in europe and is closley affilliated with britians main naturist orgainsation, so have a read on the web and give it a go!

Comment

love it, works for me

Comment

Hey Dom,
        I thought that the article was clear and to the point. You havent preached anything to anyone just planted an idea in peoples minds to see what happens. Did you say it has/is being printed in the magazine ?

Also, thanks for mentioning YBN in there - the more coverage we get the better.
        Great letter which hopefully people will act upon it.

Ben Rose
        Youth Officer
        CCBN
        www.british-naturism.org.uk/youth1.htm
        [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Ben,
          good, that was what I was going for. I h've sent it to the editor, but I haven't had a reply yet, so we'll see.
          later
          quote:
          Originally posted by roversfan1:
          [qb]Hey Dom,
          I thought that the article was clear and to the point. You havent preached anything to anyone just planted an idea in peoples minds to see what happens. Did you say it has/is being printed in the magazine ?

Also, thanks for mentioning YBN in there - the more coverage we get the better.
          Great letter which hopefully people will act upon it.

Ben Rose
          Youth Officer
          CCBN
          [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [/qb]

Comment

Hi Dom.

If it is printed it would be interesting to see what the response to it is like !

Keep us posted.

Ben Rose
            Youth Officer
            CCBN

Comment

I just got a reply from the editor -

" Just want to let you know that I will personally make sure that the article gets into the next issue. I like it a lot. It will be tweaked a bit but it stands well as it is.

Hope this sounds good to you, "

sweet! I also asked if they can put the link to ybn on the end and they have said yes. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Although the paragraph is nice but you didn't say anything to keep your readers attention or say anything to convince them to give naturism a try. Your paragraph reads more like a poem than an actual article. You have to make a personal connection with your readers. You should talk about your experience in nudism: how you got into it, the beaches or resorts you have been to and what you thought about it, why should students give nudism a try. In explaining that, go beyond the "nudism is nice, it makes you feel free" evidence b/c it is VERY repetitive and very boring, I am sure non nudist have heard that quote many times about being naked. If I had a penny for everytime some nudist tells me they feel "free" when they are naked, i would be rich. Also, you should talk about famous people who are nudist. Alanis Morissette is known to visit nude resorts, Flea of Red Hot Chilli Peppers is well known for his nakedness. You can also address some FAQs about naturism. Lastly, end the article w/ internet sites and organizations students can go to if they are interested. You should go to http://higbee.cots.net/YoungAdultNaturists/ for some tips, it is very good.

A few semesters ago, I wrote an opinion response to my school paper about an article that was published about nudism. A student reporter went to a nudist resort an hour away from the university to investigate and do research. Her article made a total mochary of nudism and the people at the resort. I was so appalled to read it that it prompted me to write a response and belittle the reporter

Comment

YES SIR! maybe if you read the thread you'd realise I'm not into writing, i'm not good at english and I've already sent it off and had it accepted - the magazine isn't massive so student articles are kept short. theres not much i can do now!

quote:
                  Originally posted by Croydon:
                  [qb]Although the paragraph is nice but you didn't say anything to keep your readers attention or say anything to convince them to give naturism a try. Your paragraph reads more like a poem than an actual article. You have to make a personal connection with your readers. You should talk about your experience in nudism: how you got into it, the beaches or resorts you have been to and what you thought about it, why should students give nudism a try. In explaining that, go beyond the "nudism is nice, it makes you feel free" evidence b/c it is VERY repetitive and very boring, I am sure non nudist have heard that quote many times about being naked. If I had a penny for everytime some nudist tells me they feel "free" when they are naked, i would be rich. Also, you should talk about famous people who are nudist. Alanis Morissette is known to visit nude resorts, Flea of Red Hot Chilli Peppers is well known for his nakedness. You can also address some FAQs about naturism. Lastly, end the article w/ internet sites and organizations students can go to if they are interested. You should go to http://higbee.cots.net/YoungAdultNaturists/ for some tips, it is very good.

A few semesters ago, I wrote an opinion response to my school paper about an article that was published about nudism. A student reporter went to a nudist resort an hour away from the university to investigate and do research. Her article made a total mochary of nudism and the people at the resort. I was so appalled to read it that it prompted me to write a response and belittle the reporter[/qb]

Comment

Originally posted by sw-uknudist:
                    YES SIR! maybe if you read the thread you'd realise I'm not into writing, i'm not good at english and I've already sent it off and had it accepted - the magazine isn't massive so student articles are kept short. theres not much i can do now!

You don't have to be a writer to write a good article on nudism and you don't have to write a lot to get your point across. I wasn't trying to insult you but give you some ideas you can use. I am just saying what you wrote isn't that much of an interest catcher. It is only a part of a whole. If you want readers to give your article a serious look, you have to give them something good to read, not something that is redundant and uninteresting. You have to make a personal connection that is why I said you should talk about how you got into nudism and things you have done. As for the English, you don't have to be good in English because they have proofreaders and editors to correct your spelling and English. My suggestions are just that, suggestions NOT insults. But it seems you have taken my critque the wrong way. Unfortunately, I don't sugar coat things for people. Unlike some in the post, I am not going to tell you the article is GREAT b/c I wouldn't be truthful. I said it was ok but could be better.

Comment

sure mate no worries, you don't have to 'sugar coat' anythin gfor me, but there are ways and means!

you have to give them something good to read, not something that is redundant and uninteresting.

sorry but I do take that as an insult, esp as you don't know me! I really think you can work on being more subtle with your criticisms and more vocal about positive suggestions...

quote:
                      Originally posted by Croydon:
                      [qb]Originally posted by sw-uknudist:

You don't have to be a writer to write a good article on nudism and you don't have to write a lot to get your point across. I wasn't trying to insult you but give you some ideas you can use. I am just saying what you wrote isn't that much of an interest catcher. It is only a part of a whole. If you want readers to give your article a serious look, you have to give them something good to read, not something that is redundant and uninteresting. You have to make a personal connection that is why I said you should talk about how you got into nudism and things you have done. As for the English, you don't have to be good in English because they have proofreaders and editors to correct your spelling and English. My suggestions are just that, suggestions NOT insults. But it seems you have taken my critque the wrong way. Unfortunately, I don't sugar coat things for people. Unlike some in the post, I am not going to tell you the article is GREAT b/c I wouldn't be truthful. I said it was ok but could be better.[/qb]

Comment

Hey Dom.

Have thought about putting this on the YBN message board to see what people think there ?

Ben Rose
                        Youth officer
                        CCBN

Comment

Ben, I haven't but If you think its a good idea then sure. Can you do it or do i have to?

quote:
                          Originally posted by roversfan1:
                          [qb]Hey Dom.

Have thought about putting this on the YBN message board to see what people think there ?

Ben Rose
                          Youth officer
                          CCBN
                          www.british-naturism.org.uk/youth1.htm[/qb]

Comment

Dom.

I think you should as it is good to see a few new faces / names on there... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I think that what you wrote IS good as it wasnt an essay merely a few points to provide people with food and to get some discussion going. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Ben Rose
                            Youth officer
                            CCBN

Comment

I though It quite well written, myself. I understood everything said and saw the invitation to try nudism in the very last line. I thought it good and I'm not even English.

Forever Nude,
                              Shaybare [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X